I love this lash-up
    https://www.inautia.com/used-boat-13...#lg=1&slide=10

And no, it wasn’t mine.
    Last edited by adey; 15-05-19 at 14:51.

Default Re: Portable air conditioning unit

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    OK, P,
    Lets look at this more technically.
    But, rather than, getting into heat gain calcs, we can stick to some rules of thumb.
    A good way to get a simple idea would be to use a cubic measurement and multiply by a factor.
    After proper heat gain calcs, it seems that most systems come out as follows:-
    Main living spaces during the day seem to come out at around 16 to 19 BTUs/hr per cubic foot.
    And cabins used mainly at night would come out at around 10 to 12 BTUs/hr per cubic foot.

The OP doesn't say what size his saloon is so lets assume (say) 12 feet by 8 feet by 7 feet high.
    That is 672 cubic feet.
    Multiply that by (say) 18 BTUs/hr per cubic foot and you need an air conditioning unit capable of about 12,000 BTU's per hour.

The unit in your link above is only capable of one quarter of that at 2,400 BTUs/hr.

So, going back to my post above, the unit in your link above would be a complete waste of time for a saloon of 12 feet by 8 feet by 7 feet.
    It is all about power.

I guess that you could work back from 2400 BTU's/hr and see how small the cabin would be but remember we are talking a marine environment where there is a lot of water (vapour/dampness) about and that latent component is very high.

Just my comments.
    IMHO it isn't worth wasting money on something that just isn't going to do the job - not even close.
    Mike. I don’t disagree with any of what you say. You pay your money and make your choice.

PS. Is your new neighbour with the “marine feline” boat behaving himself?

Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle View Post
    Mike. I don’t disagree with any of what you say. You pay your money and make your choice.

PS. Is your new neighbour with the “marine feline” boat behaving himself?
    If you mean the one with the Tigress, I will find out in the next few days.
    SWMBO and I are going out tomorrow and he is there on his first proper visit.
    Previously, he was just offloading and finding his way to a Med berth.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    If you mean the one with the Tigress, I will find out in the next few days.
    That’s the one. Please give him my best regards.

Do bear in mind that your choice may not work !

It is just the same as heating a room with a heater 10% of the required size. Not much happens

Thank you for your comments, especially Hurricane with his in-depth analyses.

Do also bear in mind that a boat has pretty much nil insulation - so in the sun the only thing keeping it cool is the AC.

On anchor you get a breeze, in port you typically don't so it just becomes an oven - hence the AC capacity required is far higher than the space would suggest.

Then to cap it all it is sitting in a bath of 25 degree odd water, and if you have been out for a few hours has a tank of 1000 -2000 lts plus of hot diesel to contend with.

I have a "cool my Camper" system which could suit your needs. Used once on a holliday in france, seemed to work well for smaller spaces.

That little unit looks interesting, would have to be stowed away when out cruising but the majority of the time we’re tied up in the marina, so could do the job 😎

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123