Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Symetric Spi takedown - which clew to start from?

Quote Originally Posted by fobos8 View Post
    Okay - many thanks

Should we be looking at dip pole instead of end for end?
    If end for end works for you then it's probably slightly faster, and the meter style yachts are not usual by modern standards in that they have comparatively small kites and very narrow bows... If it's working for you then keep doing it. If you're finding it very hard to get the pole gybed and back on the mast then consider it.
    You never know, I might be right!

Cheers - Its working well. We make sure that before we trip the pole that the lazy spi sheet gets loaded up to take the pressure off the active guy. The way its easy to get the pole off and round.

On 3/4 tonners we would rig for light winds (when the weight of the guy and shackle became noticable) with thinner sheets and plastic snap shackle, running through tweekers (very small block on thin line) that could be pulled down to the rail when it became the guy. We had them rigged and could quickly change the sheet to a single much thinner rope. It made quite a difference.
    quicKutter rope cutter, shaft and rudder bearings
    www.h4marine.com

Quote Originally Posted by fobos8 View Post
    Hi guys

I sail on a 45ft yacht and am on the bow. In the past when we do a convention spi takedown (pull spi underneath the Genoa) I grab the lazy guy from around the shrouds area, get hold of the clew and proceed to pull on the foot and take down the spi. However at the weekend we tried taking the spi down slightly differently. I grabbed the lazy spi sheet from the pole end at the front of the boat went back to the hatch and got control of the foot and took down the spi still from underneath the Genoa and to the leeward side of boat.

So my question really boils down to which clew is it best to start from when you take down you spi for this type of takedown. The clew at the pole end or the one flying off the sheet in the shroud area?

Cheers, Andrew
    It depends on so so much.
    A) what side of the forestay you want the spinnaker to come down on so that it's ready and rigged for the next time.
    B) whether you are taking it down on a reach or dead downwind
    C) how capable your bow team is
    D) There are more things to take into account...

I would however say, that it should always be easy, as long as you are pulling down a giant flag and not a spinnaker. Make sure that whichever end you are not holding on to, is blown loose in the wind. Then managing the halyard so it doesn't fill, and you've got it nailed! Good luck - videos here first?
    ~ Better a bad day on the water than a good day in the office ~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12