Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Dubarry boots - slippery sole - solutions?

I have an old (ish) pair of Dubarry boots (circa 15 years) - fair bit of use each season. No leaks, but over past year the sole grip has deteriorated and these are now very slippery, especially on teak cockpit floor

Suspect the sole material has maybe hardened? If so, any ideas how to reinstate the grip?

Default Re: Dubarry boots - slippery sole - solutions?

You did well. My Dubarry deck shoes went hard in two months. I got my money back from the chandlers but I have a feeling that you won't be as lucky. Over the years I have tried roughing up soles but with no effect and most of my shoes and boots go hard within a very few years. You would have to alter the composition of the material to make any difference and I don't know what would do this.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Get them re-soled

Thanks folks, google searches show this is a common problem with no immediate solution other than resole. Seems dubarry no longer resole their boots (according to my local chandler).

Reluctant to spend lots on such a boot if the soles are expected to harden after perhaps only 5 years or so........

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast View Post
    Thanks folks, google searches show this is a common problem with no immediate solution other than resole. Seems dubarry no longer resole their boots (according to my local chandler).

Reluctant to spend lots on such a boot if the soles are expected to harden after perhaps only 5 years or so........
    I have a pair of Musto Ocean Boots [https://www.marinesuperstore.com/foo...px-ocean-boot] and consider that £200.00 is a pretty good price for something that keeps me warm and at a five year life, I am expecting 10, that would be £40 per year.

Are you sure you are not from Aberdeen?
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

My Dubarry boots are probably of similar vintage to the OPs, regretfully they were not made during the period when re-soling was an option.

On my boat, wet and dry, grip on the teak deck is fine. Strangely, I was on another boat recently and the boots had absolutely no grip on the teak (dry). It was verging upon being dangerous so I changed from boots to an even older pair of Dubarry deck shoes. No problem with grip when wearing these.

Try Vaseline and see if the material reacts. If it does it will soften up the rubber. Likely will be an elastomer that is resistant to oils though. What have you got to lose?

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast View Post

Your local chandler is wrong. I dropped my 20 year old pair of boots into Dubarry in Ballinasloe last month as I drive by the factory regularly on trips to Galway. They replaced the soles and totally refurbed them including a new breathable lining and leather tops for €50. Basically a new pair of boots now.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by Euphonyx View Post
    Your local chandler is wrong. I dropped my 20 year old pair of boots into Dubarry in Ballinasloe last month as I drive by the factory regularly on trips to Galway. They replaced the soles and totally refurbed them including a new breathable lining and leather tops for €50. Basically a new pair of boots now.
    That is very well worth knowing. Thanks.

Dubarry have a service agent in England, you email them a pic. of the boots, if they are of the repairable vintage they then ask you to send them to them, they do a complete refurbishment including resole, last year the charge was £65.
    Google will find the address.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast