Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Default Re: Dubarry boots - slippery sole - solutions?

The late HW Tilman did a lot of sailing in cold weather in rubber seaboots with thick climbing socks and used to say how much he wished that leather seaboots were still made. He died before Dubarry burst on the scene but I think he would have been an enthusiastic customer. I know I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
    The soles of two consecutive pairs of Henri Lloyd leather GoreTex boots became hard and dangerous after only a couple of years or so (the second pair were a free replacement for the first)! Now I just wear my brother's ten-year old Gill rubber seaboots which he once left aboard, or deck shoes in fine weather, and normal shoes when going ashore.

Why piss several hundred quid against the wall for technology that isn't fit for purpose?
    Because the Gill boots that you refer to, normally only last me for 2 seasons & start to split & then fall apart
    So not really so cheap
    I wear Dubarry shoes for daytime wear( had several pairs over the years) & the soles grip perfectly well when I go aboard. I suspect the problem for some is lack of wear
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by MonniotC View Post
    "Dont know if rubber boots would have done the job."
    Rubber boots will keep your feet dry.
    Good, thick boot/skiboot socks will keep your feet warm.
    There is no need to pay through the nose.
    Rubber boots will keep the rain/sea out, but will also keep the perspiration in.

So eventually they become quite damp inside, at which point the thick socks no longer keep your feet as warm as they first did.

Rubber boots also retain their shape, which is not necessarily the same as one's feet, whereas leather boots adapt to the owners' feet shapes.

I wore rubber boots for years, but having later tried Dubarrys (other brands are available) I am a convert. (My bank manager is less keen. )

My case rests

Quote Originally Posted by Euphonyx View Post
    Your local chandler is wrong. I dropped my 20 year old pair of boots into Dubarry in Ballinasloe last month as I drive by the factory regularly on trips to Galway. They replaced the soles and totally refurbed them including a new breathable lining and leather tops for €50. Basically a new pair of boots now.
    +1. My boots disintegrated at the heal, sent them off last season for repair and they as new now.

Leaving aside shop-keepers who tell porkies in an attempt to sell someone a new pair of boots...

The question is this: is the current formulation of Dubarry non-slip rubber the same as the 20 year old one (which never went hard just wore out over time)? Or has it changed to a type with designed obsolescence?
    Plan B...?

Leaving aside shop-keepers who tell porkies in an attempt to sell someone a new pair of boots...

The question is this: is the current formulation of Dubarry non-slip rubber the same as the 20 year old one (which never went hard just wore out over time)? Or has it changed to a type with designed obsolescence?
    It's a polyurethane material and apparently hardens after 5 years as it "dries out". The material description is from Dubarry's web site and harding information from the link below, basically: -

https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co....arning.107554/

What is occurring is a common phenomenon in the footwear manufacturing industry known as "hydrolysis". This refers to the natural breakdown and decomposition of the polyurethane compound of the mid and outsole.
    It is not a manufacturing defect, but a natural process that occurs in time and which cannot be prevented, regardless if the footwear is worn or not and regardless of the brand of the footwear. Please note that hydrolysis does not affect rubber, therefore footwear with rubber outsoles would last longer(although it is a bit heavier than polyurethane). .......
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

Thanks BoB, that's really illuminating and probably exactly what happened to both my pairs of Henri Lloyd boots, except that the 'drying-out' in each case happened faster than 5 years!

I keep my sea-boots and deck-shoes aboard all the time (why bring them home?) but the boat is surely always going to be a damper environment than the house, indeed colder and damper for most of the year!

The only factor that could have advanced drying is keeping them in the small wet-locker beside the engine-bay (i.e. so wet oilies etc can benefit from the warmth) but that's only 50hrs or so of running each season.

But I note that the Dubarry boots are a compound of PU and rubber, and if they can be re-soled in five years time, then the £280 ticket might be worth it?
    Plan B...?

But I note that the Dubarry boots are a compound of PU and rubber, and if they can be re-soled in five years time, then the £280 ticket might be worth it?
    But my understanding is the current Dubarrys can't be (readily) resoled - they're glued or welded together, unlike the earlier Dubarrys which were stitched together and can still be resoled.

No point then in buying any of the modern generation of sea-boots with glued-on soles, whether Dubarry or another manufacture!

When I slipped wearing my top of the range Henri Lloyd leather goretex boots the soles of which had suddenly hardened after only 3 or 4 years and nearly smashed my face in on a pontoon cleat, I made such a fuss that they replaced the boots free of charge with their latest incarnation (i.e. either they couldn't replace just the glued-on soles, or they estimated that the cost wasn't worth it, or they wanted to avoid adverse publicity).

That was about three or four years ago, but by last year the replacement pair had gone hard and dangerous again and I've since thrown them away! 2-3 years just isn't good enough for expensive boots.

But what I don't understand is why the glued-on soles of hiking boots (which take a huge amount more punishment than footwear worn mostly just sitting on small boats) can be re-soled whereas these cynically-designed sea-boots can't?

I'd consider investing in a pair of new generation Dubarry boots - but only once I've got a definitive positive answer that they can indeed be re-soled.
    Plan B...?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast