Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Dubarry boots - slippery sole - solutions?

I have a pair of Quicksilver or some such cheap alternatives, though at a hundred quid I thought they were expensive enough. Strangely, they grip fairly well in the wet but dry I could glassade the length of the deck.

This will be my next stop:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ladies-Stic.../dp/B0056GL6SI

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit (of Glenans) View Post
    Woolen socks are reputed to be equally effective whether wet or dry.
    OK. I give you a challenge: In low temperatures, put on woolen socks, on one foot a dry sock, and the other a wet sock. I look forward to your report back to us.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post
    OK. I give you a challenge: In low temperatures, put on woolen socks, on one foot a dry sock, and the other a wet sock. I look forward to your report back to us.
    We will wait for the report to come limping in

I wear wool socks all the time - thick in winter, thinner in summer - never felt cold in rubber boots.

When I wash my all-wool beanie, I re-shape it on my head - warms up in a trice and stays that way until dry.
    Plan B...?

In fact I've just ordered some more wool socks from these people, who I've been buying from for years, using their own yarns from various breeds of British sheep:

https://arbonsocks.co.uk/shop/

Thicker socks for general winter-wear and walking, thinner for summer, and either for sailing depending on how parky it is.

I got into all-wool socks (with just a smidge of nylon to help them keep shape) when I discovered that my once-smashed left ankle didn't ache so badly (in all weathers, not just cold or damp) compared to cotton or synthetics.
    Plan B...?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post
    I'm not so sure that putting on wet woolen articles is the right approach. An already warm sock encasing a warm foot which then gets wet is the scenario I had in mind. My ancient Dubarrys, while "splash proof" are not up to keeping out water on repeated or prolonged submersion. In this scenario I have found that while sailing in wet conditions my feet gradually become wet, but not cold, and this would be in spring and autumnal temperatures.
    Last edited by Spirit (of Glenans); 24-05-19 at 14:00.

Wet wooden socks keeping you warm is a myth.
    The advantage of wool socks is that wool has good wicking properties, ie wool will disperse moisture, sweat and condensation, throughout its thickness and that wool can absorb about a third of it weight in moisture before it starts to feel wet.
    Problem with wool is that it will shrink easily if washed too hot and it doesn’t like to keep its shape.
    Look for socks with a little bit of nylon in the mix.

Wool is an excellent product
    As a teenager sailing a Hornet I knew very well the advantages of a pair of kaki shorts (with beer mat sewn on in strategic position) & 2 woolen jumpers over the top of a cotton shirt.
    They kept me fine & warm in spite of numerous swims. They started out with hem at waist level but by the end of the season the hem would be somewhere just above the knees. But as a vital piece of warm sailing wear they were second to none- Until someone came along with a black rubber suit with great strap between the legs & loads of stitching & glue etc.
    My mother gave a huge sigh of relief, as she always spoke about the great soggy mess dropped on the kitchen floor every Sunday evening.

And you try telling kids of today !!!!!!!!!

Did not Francis Chichester have a wool sponsor for his round the world trip. The oil in the wool being good for shedding light rain/mist- or so they said
    Last edited by Daydream believer; 24-05-19 at 12:45.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    Wool is an excellent product
    Wool is indeed an excellent product. It has kept humans (and sheep, etc.) warm for millennia.

It is very good at trapping air, forming an excellent insulator. Replace the air with water and it becomes a much poorer insulator.

Interesting to read many of the opinions about rubber boots on here that I share; they are cold and damp!

Having spent most of life in climbing boots, ranging heavy WWII stuff to the then very modern Koflach plastic ones, and experimented with all sorts of socks to keep my feet from frostbite. Five hours on a climbing belay during a white out was a test of feet, socks and boots!

My current solution is a pair of Musto HPX Ocean boots, by the looks of it no longer sold but with a leather shoe and gortex boot, and mohair socks [https://corrymoor.com/socks/7-explorer]. I have an intolerance of wool, can't stand it next to skin.

During night watches my feet are as warm as toast, I'll update you how things are once I get past 60 degrees north.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast