Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 65

Thread: Isle of Man

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,128

    Default Isle of Man

    We are thinking of our summer holiday on the boat and considering destinations. Isle of Man is always somewhere I have thought about going to.

    Looking at the various marinas/ports it appears that getting a berth is not certain which is a bit of concern given that IoM isn't exactly handy for a quick visit. That said I have seen some IoM web sites that have a "book berth" button so I am not sure what the definitive situation actually is.

    I am sure there are knowledgeable IoM residents/visitors on here and would like to ask, is it possible to book a berth in advance of the trip?
    If not what are the chances of being turned away from a marina/port in the 2nd fortnight in June? Our yacht is 14m LOA with a draft of 1.7m.

    Thanks for any info.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    boat conwy
    Posts
    3,316

    Default Re: Isle of Man

    Hi welcome,we are heading out there next week for the TT it will be rammed and can’t book a berth , but if you are heading to Douglas the is a deep pontoon where you can tie up at all states of tide. You can’t book a berth ,and there are only two marinas Douglas and peel ,both about 3 hr either side of high tide ,I think you can pick up a bout in port st Mary. So back to Douglas we have never had a problem getting in the marina also the pontoon I mentioned has toilets and showers close by. Far so who is from ion will be along soon. It is a great island to visit ,so under visited ,you will love it , you could split your visit. And do bot marinas .

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    north ayrshire
    Posts
    389

    Default Re: Isle of Man

    We did the TT a couple of years ago and rang ahead to try and book but they wouldnt book but they told us that in all the years of the TT they never turned anyone away they will raft boats and put them in odd places but everyone gets to stay.
    Also been in busy season (but not tt fortnight) and found berths easy and staff very accommodating
    If douglas was full there is Peel, port Erin port st mary and plenty of anchorages
    We stayed almost a week between peel and Douglas and a couple of nights at anchor.
    I'd very much doubt you couldnt find somewhere to stay on the Island

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Isle of Man
    Posts
    1,905

    Default Re: Isle of Man

    All above correct, you can’t book as such. TT you can walk across Douglas Marina it’s that rammed

    I cant see you having any issue 2nd week of June. It’s all over by then. Douglas virtually always has wall spaces and usually pontoons. You could call a day or so before and they will tell you what space is like for Douglas and Peel.

    Peel has a big silt problem at the moment but they usually find a spot.

    Best time of year to come over too!

    Access Sill/ bridge times for Douglas at the bottom of this page for each month of the year
    https://www.gov.im/categories/travel...bours/douglas/

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Isle of Man
    Posts
    1,905

    Default Re: Isle of Man

    Quote Originally Posted by seastoke View Post
    Hi welcome,we are heading out there next week for the TT it will be rammed and can’t book a berth , but if you are heading to Douglas the is a deep pontoon where you can tie up at all states of tide. You can’t book a berth ,and there are only two marinas Douglas and peel ,both about 3 hr either side of high tide ,I think you can pick up a bout in port st Mary. So back to Douglas we have never had a problem getting in the marina also the pontoon I mentioned has toilets and showers close by. Far so who is from ion will be along soon. It is a great island to visit ,so under visited ,you will love it , you could split your visit. And do bot marinas .
    The deep water visitor pontoon isn’t out yet! I’m told it will be soon. It needs to be that’s for sure

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    in limbo at the mo.
    Posts
    7,593

    Default Re: Isle of Man

    Quote Originally Posted by FARSCO View Post
    The deep water visitor pontoon isn’t out yet! I’m told it will be soon. It needs to be that’s for sure
    Is that the one they call the Battery? if so, we used it years ago, also stayed in Douglas marina, had a great time on the island, locals very friendly, yacht club in Douglas very welcoming, we got tickets for the buses and electric railway, really enjoyed it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    boat conwy
    Posts
    3,316

    Default Re: Isle of Man

    DONT FORGET SOME BIG FENDERS ,,if you end up on the pontoon ,as when the ferry turns around it rocks a little .

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Isle of Man
    Posts
    1,905

    Default Re: Isle of Man

    Quote Originally Posted by Davy_S View Post
    Is that the one they call the Battery? if so, we used it years ago, also stayed in Douglas marina, had a great time on the island, locals very friendly, yacht club in Douglas very welcoming, we got tickets for the buses and electric railway, really enjoyed it.
    That’s the one

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Donaghadee, N.Ireland
    Posts
    27

    Default Re: Isle of Man

    TT time of year is hit and miss, although both marinas are very accommodating. I have ended up 4 boats out from the wall a few times! Bring a long hook up lead just in case! Usually get moved on to a pontoon after a day or two if your lucky!
    Had to tie up at the harbour wall at Peel last year because it was just so busy! Great place though, highly recommend it. Id aim for Douglas as theres more buzz about the place!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Isle of Man
    Posts
    1,905

    Default Re: Isle of Man

    No beer tent by the sea terminal this year however, great entertainment at the villa marina which is a 15min walk from the harbour.

    Anywhere around the prom is a great atmosphere. Red arrows are back this year and fireworks senior race day.

    Let’s hope for weather like last year and looking forward to meeting a few forumites!

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to