Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Red face Re: Solent to Brighton - When to go around Selsey Bill?

Quote Originally Posted by SAPurdie View Post
    My 24' & 26' boats always lapped up the Looe's slop. I suspect that your 55' and 23t may actually be the problem. With a longer boat you need a longer wavelength or you could get wet and the mass will also affect her ability to ride waves.

I once crewed on an Australian built 65' steel charter boat. In something like a F6 off Brighton she behaved like a submarine and I had to keep scurrying up the forestay to avoid getting immersed!

I would never try to stem the tide at the Looe as I have anchored just outside the channel when becalmed and the rode was like an iron bar!
    Yes, that may well be true of some. I am lucky to have a CC and the IP really just seems to take almsot anything in her stride. I am sure the Looe could cause her to hesitate in some conditions but I expect it would be the crew that would become stressed well before she would.

24 footer at times may be seriously interesting however light the boat may simply not be able to ride over such short steep waves adequately and you really would take a lot of water - but each to their own. I have sailed and owned a lot of yachts and loved my GK24 especially, but there would be conditions I would think twice about taking the GK through that I wouldnt give a moments thought in the IP.
    Last edited by ip485; 15-05-19 at 11:26.

Default Re: Solent to Brighton - When to go around Selsey Bill?

Quote Originally Posted by SAPurdie View Post
    My 24' & 26' boats always lapped up the Looe's slop. I suspect that your 55' and 23t may actually be the problem. With a longer boat you need a longer wavelength or you could get wet and the mass will also affect her ability to ride waves.

I once crewed on an Australian built 65' steel charter boat. In something like a F6 off Brighton she behaved like a submarine and I had to keep scurrying up the forestay to avoid getting immersed!

I would never try to stem the tide at the Looe as I have anchored just outside the channel when becalmed and the rode was like an iron bar!
    I don't know if you chose that phrase knowingly, but some editions of 'Heavy Weather Sailing ' mention the large yacht ' Bloodhound ( sometimes used by the Royal family ) which was nearly driven onto Selsey in the big gale of 1957; the pro' crew deployed the anchor as a last ditch effort, it held - when they came to recover her the next day the chain rode was stretched and set solid like a bar
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

1956, when the training ship Moyana was nearly lost but rescued. I don't remember the Bloodhound story but a number of lives were lost, with some accounts in Heavy Weather Sailing. We had a sailing match on Barton Broad that weekend. The Saturday was quiet and normal but Sunday was chaos. I think that we all capsized even though the racing was in the back channels and all racing rules suspended.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

We saw Bloodhound years later at Cobbs Quay, she had two big fisherman anchors - I think this is what saved her, being able to penetrate through weed and grab onto the Selsey rocks.

Not intending to start another anchor argument, just an example where a ' pointy kedge ' may be handy.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12