Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Certificate of competence (license) to use a boat in Portugal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikedefieslife View Post
    Presumably you will have to charter a boat. Can't imagine they just hand out certificates for nothing.
    Why would I charter a boat when I already have two.
    I was ringing them for advice about him taking a test and getting a license. If they don't do testing them I am sure they will know someone who does, as it is part of their advertised service. I'm not asking anyone to just give "hand out" a certificate, that would be cheating the system would it not?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikedefieslife View Post
    Presumably you will have to charter a boat. Can't imagine they just hand out certificates for nothing.
    In addition to chartering SW have both power and sailing instructors, who run courses and provide own- boat tuition.
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿Neither a Remainer or a Leaver be. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst✔️

I have spent 15+ years sailing in the Med and never been asked for my ICC.
    I have transited the French Canals numerous times and never been asked for an ICC.

The main function of the document is to show a yacht charter company you have a basic knowledge but they will check you out themselves before letting you go off in their boat

Quote Originally Posted by greeny View Post
    It's not strictly a "liveaboard" subject but I know there's a lot of local knowledge here about portugal, specifically the Algarve.

My son's coming out in July and has always sailed with me before but now is thinking of taking off in the boat on his own for a few days.
    He is fairly experienced and could easily pass the ICC in UK but he doesn't live there. He's based in Germany. He doesn't have the time to take any tests there before he comes so we're looking for info on how to get over this hurdle fairly quickly when he arrives here in July.
    I don't know if there's any way he can do the RYA ICC here or will he have to go through the Portuguese licensing system?
    If anyone has any contacts that may be able to help or advise us I'd appreciate it.
    Lot of fred drift but where exactly are you? Us in Albufeira. Beer?

[QUOTE=Heckler;6794344]Lot of fred drift but where exactly are you? Us in Albufeira. Beer?[/QUOTE

Ferragudo based so not far away. Boat in marina at prai da Rocha (Portimao). Don't often go into Albufeira because its basically too close to home. An easy daysail takes me to Culatra, another to the Guidiana, then Rompidou and onwards to Spain, Cadiz, Gib etc until it gets too hot then turn around and come back. If I do come in there, I'll send a pm and would love sharing a beer or two. Thanks.

[QUOTE=greeny;6794369]
    Quote Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
    Lot of fred drift but where exactly are you? Us in Albufeira. Beer?[/QUOTE

Ferragudo based so not far away. Boat in marina at prai da Rocha (Portimao). Don't often go into Albufeira because its basically too close to home. An easy daysail takes me to Culatra, another to the Guidiana, then Rompidou and onwards to Spain, Cadiz, Gib etc until it gets too hot then turn around and come back. If I do come in there, I'll send a pm and would love sharing a beer or two. Thanks.
    Excellent, missus likes ferragudo, so will be there as well as faro, culatra, ayamonte guadiana next month

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12