Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Think its the end for my main sheet traveller, what replacement?

Due to an overhaul and new paint job I've managed to remove my old mainsheet traveller. Its lying in the back of my car looking sorry for itself, and I don't think I can bring myself to try and service it and put it back. Its a 1980s fico Australia track and car, simple robust but with more friction than Ray Mears rubbing two sticks together. I think it went out of production some years ago, so car replacement is out and even so its plunge stops are getting worn and stiff . Even worse than that it has only ever had a 4 to one purchase which is also nearly dead and sailing in 40Kts you have to be very careful not to have the sheet pull through your hands. Basically I need a new track and car and a new 6 to 1 block and becket set and I don't like buying tat or spending lots of money! What do I get? I've looked at Pfeiffer marine and garhauer which I quite like, but its lots of cash for something I have no experience with. I need no fancy bits of string to winch cars up wind. just simple and effective

Yacht in question is a 36 feet steel centre cockpit with a 32m2 main , track through the centre of the cockpit sheeting a meter in from the end of the boom. It has and will again sail across oceans.

What should I go for

Default Re: Think its the end for my main sheet traveller, what replacement?

I have IYE track and when replacing traveller a few years ago it didn't seem too expensive. http://www.wireropeassemblies.co.uk/...html?cat_id=10

Just replaced ours with Lewmar track and car set, very pleased and fixing bolts hidden in track channel so fitted in existing holes.

The mainsheet cars failed on my last 2 boats I replaced both with Harken kit. The failures were due to using the car to ‘park’ the main boom when moored. I now unsnapshackle from the car and park to a convenient loop on either side deck

Quote Originally Posted by tjbrace View Post
    The mainsheet cars failed on my last 2 boats I replaced both with Harken kit. The failures were due to using the car to ‘park’ the main boom when moored. I now unsnapshackle from the car and park to a convenient loop on either side deck
    Yes I ahve had failures of main sheet traveller on my little boat due to using the mainsheet to hold the boom central when left on the swing mooring. I suspect my gear was the Australian stuff OP mentioned. Although I had no trouble getting replacement car and track. The fix for me is to leave the boom dropped onto the cabin top to one side. yes looks untidy but saves the traveller. The track in my case wore out near the centre where 30 years of racing and cranking that main sheet down just wore the ali to make a holow on the under side of the track in the middle. So became reluctant to slide/roll. The blocks and cam cleat have remained original although sheave wheels have been replaced. The traveller car itself has no blocks for control. Every thing hangs on a saddle in the centre of the car. I use the tackle to control the car position. (a lot) ol'will

Quote Originally Posted by Daverw View Post
    Just replaced ours with Lewmar track and car set, very pleased and fixing bolts hidden in track channel so fitted in existing holes.
    excellent kit, i fitted one on our previous boat

Thought i would post an update as it might be useful to some one . I finally got my check book out and bought a Pfeiffer marine Track car and stoppers from SVB. And i am very happy with my purchase. Strong robust, its a size 3 with 6 stainless wheels which i rather prefer to the style with a continuous ball race, which is probably smoother but i think more prone to disaster and have a miriad of little balls cascade over the cockpit.
    However most surprisingly and my main reason for posting as comparing it with my original its the same. My Old Nicro Fico matches my new Pfeiffer marine X track and i have needlessly just bought 2 meters of X track when i could have just replaced the car and stoppers. I suppose i could send the track back and be £160 richer .But looking at my old track in comparison to my new shiny one and the fact that i have just finished the paint job, it looks too manky. Again there is the option of stripping it and having it re annodised. But i cant be bothered now i have a new shiny one. However if i had known previously i would have embarked on revamping my old track!
    So if you have got an old Nicro Fico and think it redundant and not in production have a look at our German friends and their not so original engineering!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tjbrace View Post
    Why does doing this cause the problems mentioned? I ask as I use the traveller to park the boom to one side when moored. Not a good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by fredrussell View Post
    Why does doing this cause the problems mentioned? I ask as I use the traveller to park the boom to one side when moored. Not a good idea?
    The problem is that every time the boat is subject to a wash or wave it rocks. When it rocks the boom wants to swing from side to side. If the traveler is firmly secured in one spot not such a problem but any movement has the traveler sliding along sideways and back so causing wear. This movement amounts to a lot over a season or longer. I habitually drop off the topping lift and lay the boom on the cabin top. Looks untidy but there is then no movement. ol'will

Perhaps you could broaden your search a bit. Garhauer ships internationally. I have purchased boats bits from the UK, albeit not too often, and they are they are at my house in 5 days. (a 747 cargo plane can shrink the world quite a bit!)

https://www.garhauermarine.com/travelers/travelers.html

This our go-to company in the US, for reasonably priced solid gear.
    Happy shopping....
    Olson 34 "Fresh Air"
    Portland, OR USA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast