Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Default Re: RCC off to Tichmarsh .

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2 View Post
    This is very helpful - I had no idea ‘The Pond’ existed and had assumed that the yacht club moorings dried when previously visiting Titchmarsh. We recently moved the boat down from the Broads to Woolverstone and will be pottering around over the next week so may well pay a visit - tides and access permitting.
    As a guide, the cat flap can be opened about 1 to 1hr 30 before HW Harwich, about CD+3.3m. However, pressure and wind direction can have a big influence on the height and time of HW.

Over the next few days Walton Tides are not all that convenient so dinghying around is possibly the best option.
    Last edited by nortada; 23-05-19 at 04:51.
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿Neither a Remainer or a Leaver be. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst✔️

When we had a boat that would get into the pond we always enjoyed it and the warm welcome at WFYC.

Quote Originally Posted by pks1702 View Post
    When we had a boat that would get into the pond we always enjoyed it and the warm welcome at WFYC.
    Good set of pictures but dated as The Pond has changed out of all recognition but the cat flap set-up is still the same.

Approaching the club quay, as a visitor, yesterday, found to their cost, the mud on the starboard side of the channel has advanced to in-front of the green pole so the best water is close into the quay.

They still made the bar and left with no difficulty on the falling tide.✔️
    Last edited by nortada; 24-05-19 at 04:08.
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿Neither a Remainer or a Leaver be. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst✔️

Quote Originally Posted by nortada View Post
    Good set of pictures but dated as The Pond has changed out of all recognition but the cat flap set-up is still the same.

Approaching the club quay, as a visitor, yesterday, found to their cost, the mud on the starboard side of the channel has advanced to in-front of the green pole so the best water is close into the quay.

They still made the bar and left with no difficulty on the falling tide.✔️
    Indeed the pontoons are not in my set of pictures and I have a boat in one of the images that could just get in if we breathed in. They were posted to give a general flavour rather than a point of absolute record or accuracy. I was illustrating to someone who perhaps has not seen the ‘cat flap’ and general entrance what they may expect

Quote Originally Posted by RivalRedwing View Post
    It is indeed and better seen in hard copy on arrival...

Quote Originally Posted by alandalus11 View Post
    Why would anyone want to eat at a place that has 3 star ratings out of five and 25 of 26 restaurants in Walton on Trip Adviser? There are far better places to eat and enjoy in town if you make the effort in my opinion. Just take a look at the reviews. The Ship in Kirby is a great restaurant with good food and friendly staff.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restau...Y_OVERVIEW_BOX
    If "if you make the effort in my opinion" involves two taxi fares or a longish walk at night on an unlit road with no pavement, then thanks but no thanks. I've never had a problem at the Harbour Lights (the twenty-four places above them must be fantastic); if that place does not appeal there is always the marina barbecue area or, as has been stated, cooking on board.

The last time I went to Walton and Frinton Pond, the gates marking the twelve foot width had been removed.

A match report by oldgit on their visit to Titchmarsh would be interesting.

A bit of a bumpy trip up (F2 ..H,mm ) approach after Pye End bit like a longer version of Conyer Creek but bottom a lot harder if you get it wrong.
    Berthed on outer pontoons.
    HB perfectly OK if you remember it is marina cafe......Light bite on first evening of arrival and pre booked RCC club gathering on Saturday.
    The staff did appear to struggle with the number of customers present but did their best.
    Couple of our club members are denizens of Essex and managed to provide transport to and from the nearbye local ALDI.
    Breakfast in Clacton Weatherspoons .Took grandkids onto pier to demonstrate traditional old fashioned seaside delights and got well and truly fleeced.

Forgot to comment on the lobster pots, one pot looked totally abandoned, covered with weed and virtually impossible to spot.
    Last edited by oldgit; 28-05-19 at 08:34.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterBoater View Post
    The last time I went to Walton and Frinton Pond, the gates marking the twelve foot width had been removed.
    The Pond has been my home port for the past 10 years and I have visited over the past 25 years.

I Do not recall there were ever any gates marking the 12 foot width of the cat flap❓

The total width is 20 feet (4 feet either side of the cat flap) and any markers would significantly restrict access to medium and larger vessels.

Me included‼️
    Last edited by nortada; 27-05-19 at 21:27.

Quote Originally Posted by nortada View Post
    The Pond has been my home port for the past 10 years and I have visited over the past 25 years.

I am not aware of any gates marking the 12 foot width of the cat flap❓

The total width is 20 feet (4 feet either side of the cat flap) and any markers would significantly restrict access to medium and larger vessels.

Me included‼️
    The diagram at the top of post 52 shows them and the following photograph shows them partially opened. As I said, they have now gone, so if you need the extra depth afforded by the lowered gate/cat flap, stay in the centre of the channel; the concrete shoulders are somewhat unforgiving.
    Last edited by PeterBoater; 27-05-19 at 22:23.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterBoater View Post
    The diagram at the top of post 52 shows them and the following photograph shows them partially opened. As I said, they have now gone.
    I stand corrected, presumably these gates were always fully open so I never noticed them.
    Last edited by nortada; 28-05-19 at 18:21.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast