Default Old seal removal - water pump

I'm stripping down my 2GM20 water pump to rebuild it.
    All's gone reasonably smoothly until I got to the final seal - the one that keeps the water in the pump and not in the boat!
    It's welded itself to the pump body, or possibly even been stuck in place.
    I've got *most* of it out, but there's a fair bit of rubber material left in the slots the seal fits into. I'm wary of digging it out too enthusiastically for fear of damaging the sealing surface. Are there any magic potions that dissolve old seals, but don't dissolve bronze?

Default Re: Old seal removal - water pump

Quote Originally Posted by Red Panda View Post
    I've got *most* of it out, but there's a fair bit of rubber material left in the slots the seal fits into. I'm wary of digging it out too enthusiastically for fear of damaging the sealing surface. Are there any magic potions that dissolve old seals, but don't dissolve bronze?
    The seal will most likely be a combination of metal and rubber. You have removed the rubber "core" but there is still a metal ring, clad in rubber to remove.

They look similar to this:

and when pulled apart, you can see the outer metal ring like so:

The normal way is to get something like a sharp screwdriver and get it between the housing and the seal and try to "collapse" the metal ring .. or if it is a larger seal, drill a hole in the lip of the metal part of the seal, put a self-tapper in it and try and pull it out.

The outside of the new seal is rubbery, so a minor scratch isn't going to leak.

Bronze is not very hard so a small delicate shape where lip seal seats, could be ruined with a screw driver for example.. I did that damage on my water pump when i removed old leap seals, but fortunately nothing very serious, just a deep scratch. I guess rubber is much more resistance to chemicals than anyother material so you could try to soften it with a heat gun and carefully get it out with a not very sharp tool? Do you have any pics?
    Do it yourself and do it good!

15ECBE31-3D26-48C4-ADD6-8713335ED0BB.jpg
    You can see the seal remnants sitting in the trench at the bottom of the body.
    I’m not convinced it has a spring, I haven’t found any evidence of it so far. I’m paring away carefully with a scalpel!
    Last edited by Red Panda; 15-05-19 at 09:34.

As it looks like you can get to it from either side, I'd try knocking it out from the other side ... with a punch or similar.

Presumably you already have the rebuild kit, so you can examine the new seal to understand what exactly you are removing.

Quote Originally Posted by rszemeti View Post
    As it looks like you can get to it from either side, I'd try knocking it out from the other side ... with a punch or similar.

Presumably you already have the rebuild kit, so you can examine the new seal to understand what exactly you are removing.
    Surely the seal is already removed and it's just crud left it place? The seal must have been held in with mastic or something which is very strange.

I would leave the whole thing immersed in acetone overnight. That should hopefully loosen the crud and allow it to be removed easily.

Richard

I thought it looked as though the metal "body" is still intact but the rubber has degraded allowing the centre of the seal to pull away. If that is the case, best checked by comparison with the new replacement part, I would suggest bending the head of an old screwdriver to 90 degrees so that you can put it in through the rear aperture and force it down behind the remains of the seal. tapping it will then star to move the seal out, working your way around the circumference as it skews. Try to get it to come out straight as that will minimise damage.

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by rob2 View Post
    I thought it looked as though the metal "body" is still intact but the rubber has degraded allowing the centre of the seal to pull away. If that is the case, best checked by comparison with the new replacement part, I would suggest bending the head of an old screwdriver to 90 degrees so that you can put it in through the rear aperture and force it down behind the remains of the seal. tapping it will then star to move the seal out, working your way around the circumference as it skews. Try to get it to come out straight as that will minimise damage.

Rob.
    You might well be correct Rob. I just can't tell from the photo whether we are looking at the original casting or the casting plus the metal interior of the seal, rather than just some sealant. It would be possible to determine with a screwdriver and a bit of leverage on the different metal ridges.

Richard

I’m not convinced it has a spring, I haven’t found any evidence of it so far. I’m paring away carefully with a scalpel!
    Quote Originally Posted by rob2 View Post

Rob.
    I am sure Rob 2 is right. The silvery coloured ring you can see is the metal casing of the old seal. The garter spring may still be the other side of it.

It may be possible to knock it out with a hammer and a suitable drift from the pump cavity side as Rob describes otherwise it will have to be pulled out.

soak in wd 40, or paraffin type oil , almost looks as if the old seal is the wrong way round, as the spring should face to the wet side. might be a photo illusion though
    David