Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Default Total newbie looking for tons of advice.

Hi guys.

Ive always loved being on the water, and had a fascination for boats, and ive decided im going to buy one. And I would appreciate any advice you can offer me and guide me in the right direction. There's a few decisions that I have made , one is that it would need to be a motor cruiser, as opposed to a yacht. I am a lady and it will be me driving it, with my freind/family/grandchildren.(maybe not all together lol).
    It would be nice to sleep on it, and im thinking about one that is towable, as I have a motorhome, and someone could tow the boat to the same destination as the motorhome. And that's all my requirements but prefer to spend around 30k, but if it means spending 50k for what I want then so be it!. I live on the South Coast of the Uk. Would really love some advice.Thankyou.

Default Re: Total newbie looking for tons of advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosealegsyet View Post
    Hi guys.

Ive always loved being on the water, and had a fascination for boats, and ive decided im going to buy one. And I would appreciate any advice you can offer me and guide me in the right direction. There's a few decisions that I have made , one is that it would need to be a motor cruiser, as opposed to a yacht. I am a lady and it will be me driving it, with my freind/family/grandchildren.(maybe not all together lol).
    It would be nice to sleep on it, and im thinking about one that is towable, as I have a motorhome, and someone could tow the boat to the same destination as the motorhome. And that's all my requirements but prefer to spend around 30k, but if it means spending 50k for what I want then so be it!. I live on the South Coast of the Uk. Would really love some advice.Thankyou.
    Choose a boat wisely , look at as many boats as you can within your budget .
    Set aside a budget to cover mooring, repairs , insurance , upgrades etc .
    When you finally decide use a surveyor and engineer to check the machinery and sea trial the boat .
    Get some training , speak to as many people as you can .
    Do not be talked into buying anything you are not sure of .
    Use a reputable yacht broker .
    Depending on your cruising ground and how fast you want to go will decide what type of boat you decide .
    In that price bracket you will be limited as to what is available.
    If you want speed you will be looking a Targa type boats , if it’s slow pace you will get more accommodation for your money as the machinery will be less power and less complicated.
    Money spent on surveys and research will save you a fortune in the long run.

I’m sure you will get plenty of advise on here .

+1

Accommodation is everything. Don't underestimate this point. Make sure you can live with the inside space available before you look at anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosealegsyet View Post
    Hi guys.

Although you say you have a fascination with boats, it’s unclear as to whether you’ve spent much time around them. If this is not the case, perhaps get some training - powerboat level 2 would be ideal and relatively inexpensive to give you a feel for boating, especially close quarter handling. Then, I can only back up Paul’s advise to look at as many boats as you can, even if initially it’s just walking around a marina to get a feel for what style you’re after. Definitely keep a budget for maintenance as it’s easy to get caught out by things going wrong.

Thankyou, im going to be doing the level one and two in the summer with my son, he want's to do it too.
    Last edited by Nosealegsyet; 15-05-19 at 14:40.

Probably a good idea somewhere in the calculation to try and get some idea of just how many peeps want to be on your boat at any one time.
    Depending on age of grandkids, you may need to have mum/dad aboard as reinforcements.
    Towing (and launching/recovering) any boat is different kettle of fish completely to towing a caravan,it will place restrictions on the size of boat you buy, therefore the number of folks you can get aboard for day trips let alone sleeping aboard.
    It is not impossible for someone to tow a large caravan onto site,unhitch and set it up solo.
    You will not be sensibly doing that alone with any decent sized towable boat.
    Going to guess size for size a boat weighs considerably more than caravan, something else to consider, more caravan sites out there than you can shake a stick at, launching ramps capable of taking a decent sized boat very few and far between.
    Unless you want to put up with very small boat indeed would consider carefully the choice of towable boat... one other thing where are you going to keep it for the 50 weeks it is not in use.
    One other suggestion, aware you live on the coast, but you might want to think about where you intend starting your boating career, a sheltered inland waterway is far more likely to give you the confidence to carry on and could possibly appeal more to your grandkids/ family than being thrown in at the deep end on the coast with its mysteries of tide and weather.
    Good Luck.
    Last edited by oldgit; 15-05-19 at 07:13.

A boat with a toilet that is private and behind a door is essential. I don’t have local knowledge of your boat ramps but as said above it has to be large enough for a motor home and boat to manœuvre with parking nearby for the motor home and empty trailer. Launching is a two man job that requires practice (and can cause friction with a husband/wife combo ).
    I think a lot of us here started on American boats and I would recommend something like a Bayliner (there are others like Regal etc). Lots of indoor space and luxury for the size and money.
    Most of all, remember it’s supposed to be fun and welcome to the forum and to this boating life!
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

Launching a boat down a ramp is a two person job and takes a few attempts before one is proficient. To have a boat that is easy to tow and launch rather cuts down on its ability to sleep people and carry a loo. You will need to have a good look around to find the right boat and a decent trailer. We started with a Shetland family four size boat that trailered and could sleep two but no loo.
    A Sealine S23 or similar meets your requirements and can be trailered but it is quite large to launch and retrieve but if only moved to a port for just the summer say then back home for the winter then it could be acceptable.
    Good luck.
    Broom owners club..... www.broomowners.com

Quote Originally Posted by russ View Post

+1
    Yes I will certainly do that thankyou

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast