Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Total newbie looking for tons of advice.

I don't think I have seen it mentioned anywhere, but what vehicle will you be towing with? A Sealine S23 or similar will need a big 4x4 with the maximum tow rating of 3500kg to cope with it. This means a Land Rover discovery, Range Rover, land cruiser or similar.
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

If your in littlehampton, you could do worse than call in to see Andy at sussexboatshop.com
    He is a parker dealer and a parker 6 or 7 meter weekender would be ideal I reckon.
    Or a merryfisher 755 ??
    Keep us informed of your thoughts and potential choices , people always happy to help spend someone elseís money !! 👍🏻
    Plus the good advice of course !!

Hi & welome to the forum from a fellow lady boater. This is a great place to start & where I 1st came for advice when starting out.
    If I could make a suggestion...you have a motor home, so perfect, portable accommodation. Why not start with an easily (or easier) towable day boat such as a RIB for the first year to get yourself used to it all & familiar with the various slipways available to you. After a year, youíll have enough experience of it all to get a much better idea of what suits you. Also, a 2nd hand RIB wonít break the bank & you stand a good chance of getting your money back (or close to it) should you decide to go bigger with on board accommodation.
    Weíre on The Solent & itís great for day trips to a variety of places.
    Hope to see you out there soon.
    Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJ View Post
    Iím thinking Sealine S23, S24 S25 also called S230 and S240 just to totally confuse. Have a look at the britboats site for the difference. I had a S23 for 8 years great boats. Sealine are renown for interior space.
    yes , I have looked and they are stunning. im getting more excited everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosealegsyet View Post
    I am a very confident road driver, would any of that knowledge spill over to boating or not?
    Well, sort of.

Until you want to stop, or park, or navigate a busy area (no road lanes and even less boaters know the 'rules of the road' than drivers) .......

As others have said, get some training, PB level 2 practical, dayskipper theory. And don't forget to factor in all the safety gear to your budget, the boat is only the start of your spending.
    Last edited by Glenlivet; 15-05-19 at 19:03.

Quote Originally Posted by CLB View Post
    I don't think I have seen it mentioned anywhere, but what vehicle will you be towing with? A Sealine S23 or similar will need a big 4x4 with the maximum tow rating of 3500kg to cope with it. This means a Land Rover discovery, Range Rover, land cruiser or similar.
    Yes I realise this, my car wont do it, its an audi q3, but im fine with chopping it in for something that can.On the 'Which Report' they really slated the Discovery,, and it was very very surprising whats SUV's they said were the best for towing large loads , certainly not what you would expect......

Quote Originally Posted by Nosealegsyet View Post
    How strange is that i was looking at an S3 last night. OMG what a beauty.
    I owned a Sealine S23 for 6 years and loved it. But never considered towing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenlivet View Post
    Well, sort of.

Until you want to stop, or park, or navigate a busy area (no road lanes and even less boaters know the 'rules of the road' than drivers) .......

As others have said, get some training, PB level 2 practical, dayskipper theory. And don't forget to factor in all the safety gear to your budget, the boat is only the start of your spending.
    Yes I realise, im going to do as many courses as I can, I even fancy the Diesel Engine course! The more knowledge we have and all that lol!

Quote Originally Posted by lisilou View Post
    Hi & welome to the forum from a fellow lady boater. This is a great place to start & where I 1st came for advice when starting out.
    If I could make a suggestion...you have a motor home, so perfect, portable accommodation. Why not start with an easily (or easier) towable day boat such as a RIB for the first year to get yourself used to it all & familiar with the various slipways available to you. After a year, you’ll have enough experience of it all to get a much better idea of what suits you. Also, a 2nd hand RIB won’t break the bank & you stand a good chance of getting your money back (or close to it) should you decide to go bigger with on board accommodation.
    We’re on The Solent & it’s great for day trips to a variety of places.
    Hope to see you out there soon.
    Lisa
    Are slipways very different Lisa? Ive only seen one lol! and that's the one at Littlehampton, and I would say thatit's is massive. However nothing to compare it too. Is the size of a slipway going to determine what size boat I can purchase? Where would I know where to find all the slipways whilst I havnt got a boat, so I could check them out ? Is there a slipway directory or something? sorry for all the questions, and thanks for responding

Quote Originally Posted by CLB View Post
    I towed my S23 with a 2.8 Diesel Pajero (Shogun) and 3 litre Vauxhall Monteray (badged Izusu Trooper) The Pajero gears were better suited I thought.
    We went down to Spain a few times stopping over at campsites (much to the campers amusement)
    Its a big beast to get off and on the trailer so always had it craned. Also saves flooding bearings, cables, brake pads etc with salt water.
    We now have a Sealine S37 permanently moored in Spain.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast