Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 75
  1. #31
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Worthing West Sussex
    Posts
    122

    Default Re: Total newbie looking for tons of advice.

    Quote Originally Posted by NDB View Post
    If your in littlehampton, you could do worse than call in to see Andy at sussexboatshop.com
    He is a parker dealer and a parker 6 or 7 meter weekender would be ideal I reckon.
    Or a merryfisher 755 ??
    Keep us informed of your thoughts and potential choices , people always happy to help spend someone else’s money !! ����
    Plus the good advice of course !!
    If that's the guy that's in the marina, ive already been to see him. Ive seen the merryfishers, if im not mistaken are they the ones with the hard tops and the sliding doors? I don't like that look, I like the ones that are more open, and then you would pull the canopy over I expect if the wind changed.?

  2. #32
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Worthing West Sussex
    Posts
    122

    Default Re: Total newbie looking for tons of advice.

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidJ View Post
    I towed my S23 with a 2.8 Diesel Pajero (Shogun) and 3 litre Vauxhall Monteray (badged Izusu Trooper) The Pajero gears were better suited I thought.
    We went down to Spain a few times stopping over at campsites (much to the campers amusement)
    Its a big beast to get off and on the trailer so always had it craned. Also saves flooding bearings, cables, brake pads etc with salt water.
    We now have a Sealine S37 permanently moored in Spain.
    DAvid what do you mean by had it craned?

  3. #33
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Worthing West Sussex
    Posts
    122

    Default Re: Total newbie looking for tons of advice.

    Quote Originally Posted by MartynG View Post
    I owned a Sealine S23 for 6 years and loved it. But never considered towing it.
    Did you keep it on the water all the time then? How far would you get in a day ?How did it run on fuel, sorry for all the questions.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Farndon
    Posts
    2,799

    Default Re: Total newbie looking for tons of advice.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nosealegsyet View Post
    Did you keep it on the water all the time then? How far would you get in a day ?How did it run on fuel, sorry for all the questions.
    Yes is was kept in the water . Only lifted for a clean up and out drive service.
    The distance you can travel is limited only by your endurance.
    At river speed of about 4.5knots the kad32 engine used 3litres per hour.
    At 25knots 30 litres per hour.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Farndon
    Posts
    2,799

    Default Re: Total newbie looking for tons of advice.

    By the way my present boat has twin kad32's.
    They are not much trouble . I did have a turbocharger reconditioned and that was the only significant unexpected expense in 11 years boating.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    164

    Default Re: Total newbie looking for tons of advice.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nosealegsyet View Post
    If that's the guy that's in the marina, ive already been to see him. Ive seen the merryfishers, if im not mistaken are they the ones with the hard tops and the sliding doors? I don't like that look, I like the ones that are more open, and then you would pull the canopy over I expect if the wind changed.?
    Hello Nosealegsyet,

    There are basically 3 types of power boat:-

    Open day boats, great in the med but less so on the choppy Solent. I had a Cap Camarat 625 WA
    Patio door boats, great when it's rainy or windy but no wind in the hair experience like merry fisher style
    Traditional sports oats with wrap around windscreen and a pram canopy for inclement weather. Like sealine S23

    I've had the first type and whilst it was great fun I felt very exposed. I therefore hankered after a merry fisher type but decided I was too insulated inside, particularly on a sunny day.

    So I ended up buying the third type, which, with the addition of a diesel heater gives me all the benefits of a merry fisher type and the roof down of a day boat. Mine is unusual in that it is outboard powered but it's the future....
    The engine is easy to work on, lifts out of the saltwater and is relatively economical in boatyIMG_20180926_102037.jpg terms ( 3 mpg).

    As for towing I would forget it. It's a major evolution not for the faint hearted.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Worthing West Sussex
    Posts
    122

    Default Re: Total newbie looking for tons of advice.

    hi hot property,

    For the very reasons you have said, that's why I want the third choice too. Im so embarrassed to admit why I thought I would have to tow, I found a fuel calculation online for boats, and I must of misread it, as I thought it would cost me hundreds of pounds in fuel to get anywhere, so my brainwave was to tow the thing to cornwall or whatever and then boat around that area etc etc and then tow home. But looking at Martins figures I have obviously got it wrong, so if I don't need to tow, then it would give me more options wouldn't it? If boats aren't towed, are they always get in the water? Also then if you wanted to visit a certain place and park the boat would you find out where all the marinas were. Ias that how its done?

  8. #38
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Worthing West Sussex
    Posts
    122

    Default Re: Total newbie looking for tons of advice.

    Quote Originally Posted by MartynG View Post
    Yes is was kept in the water . Only lifted for a clean up and out drive service.
    The distance you can travel is limited only by your endurance.
    At river speed of about 4.5knots the kad32 engine used 3litres per hour.
    At 25knots 30 litres per hour.
    Would you cross the channel in it, or wouldn't it be able to cope with the English channel currents?

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    164

    Default Re: Total newbie looking for tons of advice.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nosealegsyet View Post
    hi hot property,

    For the very reasons you have said, that's why I want the third choice too. Im so embarrassed to admit why I thought I would have to tow, I found a fuel calculation online for boats, and I must of misread it, as I thought it would cost me hundreds of pounds in fuel to get anywhere, so my brainwave was to tow the thing to cornwall or whatever and then boat around that area etc etc and then tow home. But looking at Martins figures I have obviously got it wrong, so if I don't need to tow, then it would give me more options wouldn't it? If boats aren't towed, are they always get in the water? Also then if you wanted to visit a certain place and park the boat would you find out where all the marinas were. Ias that how its done?
    I think you should start off boating close to home, others have already said the Solent is a good place to start. We have a pontoon berth on the Hamble meaning we can just rock up, covers off and go boating. Allow £2,500 for a more ramshackle boatyard, £4 to £5 k for a swanky one!! I spend around £500 on maintenance and fuel depends on use. If it's not at least £1,000 then sell the boat as you are not using enough to warrant the overhead....

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Farndon
    Posts
    2,799

    Default Re: Total newbie looking for tons of advice.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nosealegsyet View Post
    Would you cross the channel in it, or wouldn't it be able to cope with the English channel currents?
    The S23 would be more than adequate to deal with currents. However it would not deal with waves as well as a bigger boat.
    I am sure people have crossed the channel in such boats but they would be looking carefully at the weather and the sea state.
    My wife would no go out to sea in our S23. We have a F33 and she is okay in that.
    Even so after experiencing a moderate sea she likes the sea state to be slight.... and I agree with her.

    It takes quite a while to become confident handling a boat. Don't run before you can walk.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to