Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Default Re: Total newbie looking for tons of advice.

Take a look at this. It's a great video by Nick Burnham, a marine journalist, and frequenter of the forum, show casing his boat (I think it is a Jeanneau Leader 805). The video gives you a really good insight into what a tidy boat should look like and runs through a load of practical stuff that you will not know about. His other videos are worth a look too.

This might tick many of your boxes . It is a single diesel engine - and will be much cheaper to buy, maintain & run. My advice would be do the courses, try single and twin engines and work out which works best for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBSXj0IyT2U
    Last edited by DazzyWoo; 16-05-19 at 19:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosealegsyet View Post
    Yes i think ive decided on diesel, so are you saying all american boats will only have the option for electric cooking? As opposed to what? .I saw some that said alcholol? What does that mean?What do you mean by through the window access to the bow.Is this the window that is on the front of the boat? Whats bad about that?Sorry for all the questions, as you can see i know very little.
    American boats with gas cooking are rare.
    Alcohol burner = meths.
    Door in windscreen for access to the bow and no side decks is not suited to UK wet climate.
    The S23 has side decks even if they are a little skinny and a gas hob with grill.

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyWoo View Post
    Take a look at this. It's a great video by Nick Burnham, a marine journalist, and frequenter of the forum, show casing his boat (I think it is a Jeanneau Leader 805). The video gives you a really good insight into what a tidy boat should look like and runs through a load of practical stuff that you will not know about. His other videos are worth a look too.

This might tick many of your boxes . It is a single diesel engine - and will be much cheaper to buy, maintain & run. My advice would be do the courses, try single and twin engines and work out which works best for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBSXj0IyT2U
    Very interesting, I could listen to him talk all day! Lovely boat as well, I havnt looked at this brand at all...thankyou for being so helpful

Hello Nosealegsyet.....sorry im a bit late to this party but ive only just spotted it.....All that said, all the help n suggestions here are all spot on but at the end of the day you will have to make your choice ...There are 2 vids of yours truly doing what you might be doing so it might help you to see it for yourself (im sorry that you tube wont let me put the links in here so just put in youtube sealine s24 Thanks Mum launch or recovery) ...ALSO it might be of interest to you that at Mercury Marina on the River Hamble, there is a campsite NEXT DOOR to the marina (great for storing your crew members) which also has a concrete slipway..Also at top of the river is the Mendez seaschool which also has a lady instructor if that would be better for you....ANYWAY this is just a little bit of headsup and there are a lot of others who can give more and varied advise better than me ....ENJOY you craft however you get afloat ....regards steve.. ..

Quote Originally Posted by STEVEDUNSTABLE View Post
    at the end of the day you will have to make your choice
    ...spot on!

might help you to see it for yourself
    ...great vids that give an indication of what's involved. Steve - do you do this once at the start and end of season, or more regularly than that?

Mendez seaschool
    ...@nosealegsyet this guy has lots of helpful videos on Youtube too. Search "Jon Mendez Motor boat" or similar - I think you will find them helpful.

Hello Nosealegsyet.....sorry im a bit late to this party but ive only just spotted it.....All that said, all the help n suggestions here are all spot on but at the end of the day you will have to make your choice ...There are 2 vids of yours truly doing what you might be doing so it might help you to see it for yourself (im sorry that you tube wont let me put the links in here so just put in youtube sealine s24 Thanks Mum launch or recovery) ...ALSO it might be of interest to you that at Mercury Marina on the River Hamble, there is a campsite NEXT DOOR to the marina (great for storing your crew members) which also has a concrete slipway..Also at top of the river is the Mendez seaschool which also has a lady instructor if that would be better for you....ANYWAY this is just a little bit of headsup and there are a lot of others who can give more and varied advise better than me ....ENJOY you craft however you get afloat ....regards steve.. ..
    Hi Steve, thanks for replying, ive just booked the RYA level 2 with lagoon watersports in Brighton, im doing it in July.You guys looks very professional recovering your boat, but its certainly but me off doing I, it looks a lot harder than what I expected..I would be so scared the thing would tip over, and I think buying a bigger boat is going to be the better option for me, with no towing involved.Also ive been put off my so many people ….. So .That's where Im at , at the moment but being a woman things might change lol!

...spot on!

...great vids that give an indication of what's involved. Steve - do you do this once at the start and end of season, or more regularly than that?

...@nosealegsyet this guy has lots of helpful videos on Youtube too. Search "Jon Mendez Motor boat" or similar - I think you will find them helpful.
    Great i'm on it!

...spot on!

Hi DazzyWoo..i do it most of the time because TM isnt antifouled so we put it on the trailer every 3/4 wks for a halfhour wash underneath then relaunch ..simples.... the launching n recovery is a piece of cake when you workout your own system of doing it ..you do need a crew member to recover but launching is easy one man operation when you get organized ...
    Last edited by STEVEDUNSTABLE; 19-05-19 at 20:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosealegsyet View Post
    Hi Steve, thanks for replying, ive just booked the RYA level 2 with lagoon watersports in Brighton, im doing it in July.You guys looks very professional recovering your boat, but its certainly but me off doing I, it looks a lot harder than what I expected..I would be so scared the thing would tip over, and I think buying a bigger boat is going to be the better option for me, with no towing involved.Also ive been put off my so many people ….. So .That's where Im at , at the moment but being a woman things might change lol!
    there is no way you can "tip it over" when launching and recovering but you can "flip it" if your stupid enough to enter a roundabout at about 40mph !!!!!!!..its no harder than towing a large caravan ...TM has done about 43,000 miles on the trailer in 19yrs ..

there is no way you can "tip it over" when launching and recovering but you can "flip it" if your stupid enough to enter a roundabout at about 40mph !!!!!!!..its no harder than towing a large caravan ...TM has done about 43,000 miles on the trailer in 19yrs ..
    Maybe not, but I expect the fear would always be there Steve, somethings we know we can do, I drive a 9 metre motorhome, I can take her anywhere, no fear at all, but looking at launch and recovering videos, they scare me....However most things in life are easier than the thought of doing it lol! So maybe I should try.....You can give me my first lesson haha!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast