Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Navtex aerial inside the boat ?

For a couple of reasons, I would not mind keeping the Navtex aerial in the cabin rather than on the pushpit rail.

In a GRP boat would the signal be attenuated too much ?
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Default Re: Navtex aerial inside the boat ?

We have ours on the side wall near chart table, works well

I have mine installed up under the side deck in the top of the oilskin locker, seems to work well.

Mine’s in a void inside the cockpit coaming. Reception isn’t 100% perfect, but I don’t know that it would be any better outside.

I read somewhere that they don’t like interference from some types of other electronics, so I put it on the other side of the boat from where most of mine happen to be. No idea if that made any difference.

Pete

With LF reception, there is generally a lot of "noise" in the band, and more than enough gain available in the receiver to make up for sub-optimal aerial posistioning.

The only reason to mount it on the pushpit is to distance it from the noisy electrical items in the cabin that may emit short-range interference, unlike VHF there is little to be gained from raising the aerial higher on the boat. Just try and keep it as far as possible from other items of electronics and things such as solar charge controllers, mains inverters etc. and you should be fine.

Many thanks; succinct practical advice. It makes a re-arrangement of the pushpit kit easier.
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

My Furuno is in an internal locker. Receives very well.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

So... mine should not be perching on the pushpit next to the AIS and GPS aerials and right over the Aquair, then...?

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    So... mine should not be perching on the pushpit next to the AIS and GPS aerials and right over the Aquair, then...?
    Since both the Navtex & GPS are receivers, there isn't all that much scope for interference due to transmitted noise between the two. Also these two are very far apart in frequency making interference even less likely.

If the Navtex antenna works where it is and you have no other reasons to move it, leave it be.

Navtex signals have no difficulty penetrating glass fibre boats and they propagate at low altitude. So there is no need to fit them above deck and no advantage mounting in them at the top of the mast.

John

I have two aerials one for each frequency fitted in the heads area, on both bulkheads in the hanging locker shelf space.

Don't get any problems at all with reception.

Philip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast