Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Insurance Problems with EU Boats

Quote Originally Posted by duncan99210 View Post
    The problem is down to 2 elements. First off is the currency issue: at present with a single market, there’s no barriers to the movement of credit over frontiers, so it doesn’t matter which currency your boat is valued in or what currency you pay your premium with. In a future world, this easy crossing of frontiers may not remain in place, so insurers are looking to minimise their exposure to Euro risks by moving policies into sterling.
    The second element is also down to the uncertainty about the future of the insurance market post Brexit. Under EU rules, UK insurers can provide cover for any EU risks they choose to accept. However, post Brexit they will probably find the,selves shut out of EU markets and only able to offer insurance to either British owned or British registered boats.
    Both of these elements will tend to lead to the situation the OP has found himself in.

Quote Originally Posted by PabloPicasso View Post
    How do you register a boat in the uk?
    If you live in the UK, either on Part 1 or Part 3 of the UK Ship Register. Part 3 is simple to do online: https://mcanet.mcga.gov.uk/ssr/ssr/

If you live elsewhere like the OP, only Part 1 is available to you. It's more complex and expensive and you probably need a surveyor to come and pointlessly measure how much cargo it can carry . Start by sending in this form: https://assets.publishing.service.go...rt_1__002_.pdf

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    If you live in the UK, either on Part 1 or Part 3 of the UK Ship Register. Part 3 is simple to do online: https://mcanet.mcga.gov.uk/ssr/ssr/

If you live elsewhere like the OP, only Part 1 is available to you. It's more complex and expensive and you probably need a surveyor to come and pointlessly measure how much cargo it can carry . Start by sending in this form: https://assets.publishing.service.go...rt_1__002_.pdf

Pete
    Yep, you need a surveyor to give you a registered tonnage value and measure your boat, but the hardest part of getting Part1 for me was chasing down all the owners and sales invoices from the day it was built .... which the ships registry insisted on. It was originally sold through a leasing company in Austria which changed hands during the lease, and then on to a Charter company in Croatia .... I don't know if you can get Part 1 without this paper-trail, perhaps some more knowledgeable people have had different experiences.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggywrinkle View Post
    Yep, you need a surveyor to give you a registered tonnage value and measure your boat, but the hardest part of getting Part1 for me was chasing down all the owners and sales invoices from the day it was built .... which the ships registry insisted on. It was originally sold through a leasing company in Austria which changed hands during the lease, and then on to a Charter company in Croatia .... I don't know if you can get Part 1 without this paper-trail, perhaps some more knowledgeable people have had different experiences.
    The ownership trail was reduced in 2010 (I think it was) to five years only. I registered my Italian-berthed boat on part 1 then as I had owned her for that length of time. My bill of sale was enough to prove that.

There are accredited surveyors in various countries so that access for one need not be onerous and the tonnage measurement process is trivial. Yes, all together it was expensive but a lot less so than for a 'flag of convenience' for those of us who do not wish to illegally use a UK address for Part III, SSR.
    Last edited by Barnac1e; 18-05-19 at 04:57.

Quote Originally Posted by PabloPicasso View Post
    How do you register a boat in the uk?

Pete
    And is only needed if you plan to take the boat overseas.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

If you live elsewhere like the OP, only Part 1 is available to you. It's more complex and expensive and you probably need a surveyor to come and pointlessly measure how much cargo it can carry .
    Pete
    "Probably" is not accurate, you definitely will need one. And not so "pointlessly", as I was informed the whole point is to be sure the vessel actually exists and conforms to the registered details on official records - unlike Part 3 where any dimensions can be used.

Last edited by Barnac1e; 18-05-19 at 07:24.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12