Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Default Navionics new Boating App has anyone used this yet?

Hi All
    I bought an iPad Air 2 with 128Gb HDD and now running IOS 12.2. with the intention of using it as an aid to navigation, but for various reasons was unable to do this, until now that is. I see Navionics have changed their software and now have what they call their Boating App. The cost of the UK and Ireland charts package at £34.99 looks tremendous value, when compared to a chart plotter cartridge, but I wondered how well the new package should work and if anyone, has as yet, got to grips with it?
    Always assume the worst, plan accordingly and hope for the best!

Default Re: Navionics new Boating App has anyone used this yet?

We use it all the time - we did have the previous separate Navionics apps (UK, Med Europe, Cannaries etc) and the updates for those was discontinued when Boating came out. The new app updated from our previous purchases (so no additional cost) and brings all areas in to one app which is convenient. Its accurate, works well and has seen us all over the world for 5 years with no problems - I'm still on an original iPad which is getting a bit long in the tooth now but still handles this app fine - I did also put it on to my iphone too as a back up if the iPad fails but so far no problems at all. Ironically the charts are the top "platinum" ones despite being much less expensive than the most basic SSD charts. Also now include Garmin Active Captain user uploaded content (such as good anchorages etc)

It seems just to be a new icon - the functionality doesn't not seem to have changed much from the old which I've used for 6 - 7 years now.

One purchase and I have it installed on all my android devices - work phone, personal phone & tablet. It's brilliant.

It's terrific, I love it, strongly recommend it.

Has your iPad got Cellular? If not it's useless for Nav.
    Graham. Bavaria 42 Vision, "Scala"

Its all i ever use. simple intuitive, great detail. my dedicated plotter is an old black and white navman that doesn't compare, great to be able to sort routes in the saloon or at home before i go out. can't compare it to a modern dedicated plotter cause i've never used one, but price wise it's a no brainer. as long as its readable in sunlight, bought a shade hood for my tablet off amazon for about six quid.
    Just six little numbers, then i can play with the big boys, not much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Scala View Post

Has your iPad got Cellular? If not it's useless for Nav.
    I'd politely disagree with that - it needs gps signal, not 3g data. Unless you refer to download the charts in the first place?

Which model of iPad has gps signal?

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    I'd politely disagree with that - it needs gps signal, not 3g data. Unless you refer to download the charts in the first place?

Ive got it on a cheap tablet which is used solely on the boat and on my phone too. Still use 'proper' charts but having navionics available makes quick'n'dirty planning simpler. It also gives the wife great confidence in that she can see the track over the ground & speed etc.

One upgrade I would like to see is an AIS overlay being added. But given I'm not a techy type, I have no idea how complicated this would be.

Only iPads with cellular have built in GPS.

Obviously if you want to use the device in motion on the boat (rather than offline in planning mode) then it needs GPS, so scruff is correct, you need to feed it with a GPS signal.
    Graham. Bavaria 42 Vision, "Scala"

Glad you raised this Windway. I was thinking of using an Ipad for navigation because the price of renewal for Navionics on my chartplotter is high and I would prefer the Ipad as I could have it in a position easily seen from the cockpit - I didn't know this low cost option was available from Navionics.
    Scala - bit confused what you mean by needing "cellular". My Ipad has built in GPS, what is the cellular for? [now seen further posts so it seems to be a matter of terminology]

Does anyone know if it has a Wifi AIS facility?
    Last edited by Yorkshire Exile; 15-05-19 at 11:11. Reason: later posts

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast