Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Default Re: Navionics new Boating App has anyone used this yet?

Thank you.
    Plan B...?

Actually, I was just about to download this Navionics Boating app onto my iPad but, having read the vast number of shockingly negative reviews (with valid justifications for the negativity), have decided not to.
    Plan B...?

I think you will find more people happy with it than those who are not, many of the issues people report are hardware not the software. I’ve been using it for the last 4 years without fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
    Actually, I was just about to download this Navionics Boating app onto my iPad but, having read the vast number of shockingly negative reviews (with valid justifications for the negativity), have decided not to.
    err what shocking reviews ? It’s fab.
    Graham. Bavaria 42 Vision, "Scala"

Quote Originally Posted by Scala View Post
    err what shocking reviews ? It’s fab.
    +1
    What shocking reviews?
    Not on here, couple of grumbles but at £34 compared to £240 plus for a chart plotter map, I think it is a no brainier.
    My fav feature is the pub interface....take iPad to the pub, buy beer, sit down and plot next days route

Thanks.

Do the 'fabs' refer to the old app or the new one?
    Plan B...?

Another happy user here. New app can be used on tablet and phone for one payment. Latest generations of phones are waterproof and big screen. Very convenient. The £34.99 charge is a annual subscription so not quite as cheap as it might seem.

I took a mate out on my boat who is a old school Yacht Master examiner. We plotted a weekend sail of about 60 miles in the Bristol Channel. Him with paper chart and tide tables. Me with Navionics and tide apps.

It took me 1/5 of the time and I was able to do a lot more “what if” contingency’s scenarios. His rational was that the paper chart will never run out of battery or get broken. Mine is that the iPad and phone both sync and offer therefore resilience, I have multiple ways of charging and always could fall back on the paper chart / chart plotter if needed. I do check quickly the Navionics course against the paper chart however as a safety measure prior to departing.

The new app just brought together a group of functions they had on others and brings the app to multiple devices and syncing with many chart plotters. Never had any issues.the auto routing saves loads of time preplanning.

As said doing planning and routing at home or in the pub is great and the then syncing with plotter brilliant.

Thanks for the reassurances. I was perhaps being a bit neg when I posted yesterday (one of those days!), and I also suppose some of the critical reviews on the app site were from users of the old version who didn't like change or experienced bugs in the first release.

£35pa is nominal for what one gets - a good backup on a portable 9.7" screen to the fixed plotter on passage, and the ability to plan in the pub!

Cheers
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch01527 View Post
    Another happy user here. New app can be used on tablet and phone for one payment. Latest generations of phones are waterproof and big screen. Very convenient. The £34.99 charge is a annual subscription so not quite as cheap as it might seem.

I took a mate out on my boat who is a old school Yacht Master examiner. We plotted a weekend sail of about 60 miles in the Bristol Channel. Him with paper chart and tide tables. Me with Navionics and tide apps.

It took me 1/5 of the time and I was able to do a lot more “what if” contingency’s scenarios. His rational was that the paper chart will never run out of battery or get broken. Mine is that the iPad and phone both sync and offer therefore resilience, I have multiple ways of charging and always could fall back on the paper chart / chart plotter if needed. I do check quickly the Navionics course against the paper chart however as a safety measure prior to departing.
    The £35 is only if you want to keep charts continuously up to date. I have only just resubscribed after 5 years of use. Compare this to updating a chart plotter at £200 plus annually

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast