Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Default Re: Navionics new Boating App has anyone used this yet?

So I downloaded the app this afternoon and had a play with it. Fairly straightforward and intuitive but some pointless information in the menu like places to eat at my destination.

But what I don't understand is that, having paid £35 for the UK, Ireland and Channel coast as far as Belgium, I wasn't able to download all of this area in one go. Not that I'm likely to need Scotland and Ireland for a long while as I currently only sail both sides of the Channel, but the download window has only an expandable rectangle which can be placed anywhere in the world but is limited in size (therefore one can't select the whole of the UK and Ireland).

Also, as far as I'm aware, this app isn't a full passage-planning package. Although tidal arrows are shown in real time on the chart, the Route function displays distance and time at your inputted cruising speed (and calculated fuel-consumption) for each leg, but doesn't enable any start date/time and therefore completely ignores tides.

I'm going to buy a shock-absorbing surround for the iPad but not a waterproof one, as on passage it'll stay plugged in to the 12v supply on the chart-table... alongside the actual paper charts and tidal atlases!
    Plan B...?

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
    Also, as far as I'm aware, this app isn't a full passage-planning package. Although tidal arrows are shown in real time on the chart, the Route function displays distance and time at your inputted cruising speed (and calculated fuel-consumption) for each leg, but doesn't enable any start date/time and therefore completely ignores tides.
    I was having a little nose at this online and I thought that it was ignoring the tides because I was passage planning on the website. Then I thoguht it was because I wasn't ticking something.

I wonder if anyone has any further information on how it calculates the tides?

iSailor has an AIS overlay.
    Harwich for the Continent - Brexit For the Incontinent . Sadler 290

Quote Originally Posted by Alskade View Post
    I was having a little nose at this online and I thought that it was ignoring the tides because I was passage planning on the website. Then I thoguht it was because I wasn't ticking something.

I wonder if anyone has any further information on how it calculates the tides?
    It doesn't take tide into account. It's a route planner, not a passage planner. Same as it gives ground track, not CTS, I'm not aware of any dedicated leisure chartplotters that can do this...?
    Graham. Bavaria 42 Vision, "Scala"

...But what I don't understand is that, having paid £35 for the UK, Ireland and Channel coast as far as Belgium, I wasn't able to download all of this area in one go. Not that I'm likely to need Scotland and Ireland for a long while as I currently only sail both sides of the Channel, but the download window has only an expandable rectangle which can be placed anywhere in the world but is limited in size (therefore one can't select the whole of the UK and Ireland)....
    It's expecting that you go online before your next trip and download (and refresh) the localised area(s) of interest. If you download nothing then all you get is a base map, but if you were to download the whole of europe it's not fit in your tablet... In other words you need to think a bit differently with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daverw View Post
    ...and the then syncing with plotter brilliant.
    Wish it supported Garmin plotters....!

So I downloaded the app this afternoon and had a play with it. Fairly straightforward and intuitive but some pointless information in the menu like places to eat at my destination.

But what I don't understand is that, having paid £35 for the UK, Ireland and Channel coast as far as Belgium, I wasn't able to download all of this area in one go. Not that I'm likely to need Scotland and Ireland for a long while as I currently only sail both sides of the Channel, but the download window has only an expandable rectangle which can be placed anywhere in the world but is limited in size (therefore one can't select the whole of the UK and Ireland).

I'm going to buy a shock-absorbing surround for the iPad but not a waterproof one, as on passage it'll stay plugged in to the 12v supply on the chart-table... alongside the actual paper charts and tidal atlases!
    The tidal arrows show the tide in real time i.e. now. But if you click on the arrow it will show you the predicted tidal stream for any date and time in the future along with the tidal curve. If you click on the tidal height symbol, it will similarly show you the predicted tidal height for any date you wish.

That's correct, good for on-passage but useless for detailed planning as you cant choose a departure date/time window to use. It's a limitation.

1. You need to play with it more to learn how to use it (I am talking about Navionics). You are only limited by the available device memory when downloading charts. Yes the selectable rectangle has a maximum size but you can move the chart around underneath the rectangle. If you make the rectangle too large you will end up downloading useless areas of ‘land’ detail.
    2. I would still recommend you do get a waterproof case (I recommend Lifeproof Nuud covers).

Quote Originally Posted by Scala View Post
    It doesn't take tide into account. It's a route planner, not a passage planner. Same as it gives ground track, not CTS, I'm not aware of any dedicated leisure chartplotters that can do this...?
    Ah, thank you.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast