Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Default Re: Navionics new Boating App has anyone used this yet?

I use mine a lot with the Bad Elf plug in GPS dongle - works a treat.
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure...

Quote Originally Posted by cmedsailor View Post
    Same question please...
    I have the wifi only ipad so cannot use it for my navionics.
    For you and ghostlymoron, my Bad Elf gps dongle just plugs into the lightning charging port- some will tell you that this means you have to choose between charging or gps but that is not so- I have a charge splitter cable so both functions are simultaneously available

Quote Originally Posted by ghostlymoron View Post
    how do you connect these GPS devices to an iPad?
    See my post above

I have an iPad with the latest Navionics pack (UK maps downloaded)and I bought a Garmin GLO 2 GPS (about 2 inches long) that connects via bluetooth to the iPad and recharges off the USB charging point. Both iPad and GPS sit on my nav table and I've found the whole package to be superb an no glitches to date.

If you look at 24 for the Navionics and c90 for the GPS, it's way cheaper than a chart plotter and very capable. I don't need auto pilot functionality from a chart plotter as I have a 14yo son who is embracing his character building!!

Quote Originally Posted by pandos View Post
    What about I NavX. This seems to have Ais and all the other bits of navionics... Does anyone use this.

I bought a package from London plotters a few weeks ago...ais seems not to be working.. charts are just like paper charts with poor detail compared to 12 year old bluecharts or navionics charts on a raymarine plotter. I think this is a vector versus raster issue..
    I have INav X on my ipad 4 it works very well indeed i also have a wifi router to give me AIS SEAtalk and NMEA the only thing missing it uses another app for tides which is a pain It runs Navionics. I also have the Navionics app so when I need tidal data I swap over get the tides the swap back. I believe the Nav app now receives AIS if you are with in range of 3G or 4G but that is not very reliable off shore. I have a trancever ? sends and receives AIS connected to a wifi router I have this mounted in my cockpit under the spray hood mounted on top of the screen cover of my Raymarine C 120 far too power hungry just use it for radar when needed.
    Mike

On Android I have found the Navionics Boating app a bit of a disaster. Previously I had UK & Holland as a stand alone app and Europe integrated with the Canaries and Carribean and S America. The only problem with this setup was the irritating demand that I purchase Europe or UK everytime I viewed an area near the boundary of the two areas, despite already owning both.
    The Boating app, which I was forced to upgrade to, makes constant demands to update my charts. When I try nothing happens and the app freezes. I now only use Navionics when off line, which is inconvenient to say the least if I'm also looking at weather data. This problem has become so limiting that I intend to request Navionics for a refund and look elsewhere for a mobile plotting app.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by Gin View Post
    See my post above
    thank you.

I'm thinking of getting the new Navionics Boating app for my 10.5" iPad Air (2018 model with mobile data) for passage and route planning but also as a backup for the Standard Horizon CP (fixed at the chart-table and interfaces for AIS data into the Std Horizon VHF). A couple of questions:

Does the iPad contain an actual GPS receiver, or does it just triangulate position using mobile data? If the latter, what then happens offshore when there's no data?

Does the Boating app have a capability for displaying AIS data? If so, how would one get the data into the iPad?

Finally, how does one go about downloading the app and getting the correct charts? Click buy for the basic unit with no charts, then buy the chart package (UK etc)?
    Plan B...?

If your iPad has socket for phone SIM card it has GPS receiver, you cannot get AIS overlay on Navionics app and the charts are downloaded from within the app for the areas you what.

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
    I'm thinking of getting the new Navionics Boating app for my 10.5" iPad Air (2018 model with mobile data) for passage and route planning but also as a backup for the Standard Horizon CP (fixed at the chart-table and interfaces for AIS data into the Std Horizon VHF). A couple of questions:

Does the iPad contain an actual GPS receiver, or does it just triangulate position using mobile data? If the latter, what then happens offshore when there's no data?

Does the Boating app have a capability for displaying AIS data? If so, how would one get the data into the iPad?

Finally, how does one go about downloading the app and getting the correct charts? Click buy for the basic unit with no charts, then buy the chart package (UK etc)?
    Your iPad has mobile data so has the GPS module implemented.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast