Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cleaning Outdrives..

Zippy was lifted today and is ashore to a week or so to get some TLC....

Believe it or not, we usually sell our boats around this time in the ownership life cycle so i am very much a novice when it comes to DIY Work!!

Whats the generally considered methods for cleaning the drives? they took a real hammering with barnacles last year and no doubt are very weedy, they will have been pressure washed before blocking off but i am not going to be able to start work on cleaning until at least Friday morning..

What do people recommend for cleaning up drives and props? products / methods, any help appreciated.

They drives are coming off to be serviced with new bellows but i want to try and get them cleaned up so they are looking great again.

Same for trim tabs and bow thruster tube and prop...

Default Re: Cleaning Outdrives..

Elbow grease!

Quote Originally Posted by burgundyben View Post
    Elbow grease!
    With a tin of compromise

Hydrochloride acid brushed on and agitated removes " shells ".
    Rinse with water , wear PPE inc a breather mask + eye protection.
    Once clean use suitable primer followed by Trilux in grey .

On previously antifouled drives I just use a scouring pad and water then rinse off with a blunt scraper for crustier areas.
    On non antifouled surfaces the barnacle circles remain visable with this method.

Quote Originally Posted by dpb View Post
    On previously antifouled drives I just use a scouring pad and water then rinse off with a blunt scraper for crustier areas.
    On non antifouled surfaces the barnacle circles remain visable with this method.
    And over time these cause an oxidation erosion making your drive resemble a golf ball. This is where the tin of compromise comes in. I sent mine in this season to be professionally done with all the dimples etc filled in and sanded off and repainted. Cost me 1.3k and that my friend after many personal failed attempts at making them look shiny and new is exactly where my compromise ends. Next time its a thick wodge of AF, and not that rubbish Trilux the barnacles adore, in the hopes that if I build it up thick enough it might hide the acne scars.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
    And over time these cause an oxidation erosion making your drive resemble a golf ball.
    Plastic scourer, not steel. And I dont go beyond the antifoul thats there already so don't see how what you describe can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by dpb View Post
    Plastic scourer, not steel. And I dont go beyond the antifoul thats there already so don't see how what you describe can happen.
    No, the barnacle circles. They start off erosion dimpling. I have a long passionate war against the little demons. This after half a season. (I beach and do a mid season scrub and anode check)

I simply scrap off any barnacles then use wet and dry with water and sponge, smooth out any patches. Then prime any metal areas showing then two coats of Seajet 034 (white as grey is more expensive and not generally available) which I found to be much better than trilux, far less barnacles. For props I do the same but apply Seajet 034 black, if really bad then I remove all paint and apply epoxy first.

Be careful if you use acid on aluminium. It dissolves Ali just as well as sea shells.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast