Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Cleaning Outdrives..

Quote Originally Posted by z1ppy View Post
    Zippy was lifted today and is ashore to a week or so to get some TLC....

Believe it or not, we usually sell our boats around this time in the ownership life cycle so i am very much a novice when it comes to DIY Work!!

Whats the generally considered methods for cleaning the drives? they took a real hammering with barnacles last year and no doubt are very weedy, they will have been pressure washed before blocking off but i am not going to be able to start work on cleaning until at least Friday morning..

What do people recommend for cleaning up drives and props? products / methods, any help appreciated.

They drives are coming off to be serviced with new bellows but i want to try and get them cleaned up so they are looking great again.

Same for trim tabs and bow thruster tube and prop...
    Just get Tom to do it

[QUOTE=BruceK;6787809]No, the barnacle circles. They start off erosion dimpling. I have a long passionate war against the little demons. This after half a season. (I beach and do a mid season scrub and anode check)

Jesus , what are you feedin em?
    i am 300 yeards away in deganwy and i get nothing,

one heavey coat of seajet AF for aluminium and bobs you uncle.

Im in clean healthy water. You are in a marina. You do the math.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
    Im in clean healthy water. You are in a marina. You do the math.
    i could sell the op some of our toilet / marina water to clean his legs.

you are right bacteria would not live in our marina,

Just go easy with power wash around the bellows

I have used Trilux for a few years and yes the Barnacles seem to love it.... If I want to change to Seajet can I just sand and brush it over the Trilux or does the Trilux all have to come off (as if that is possible)
    Only ever look down on a person when you are bending over to help them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
    I have used Trilux for a few years and yes the Barnacles seem to love it.... If I want to change to Seajet can I just sand and brush it over the Trilux or does the Trilux all have to come off (as if that is possible)
    Just needs to be reasonably smooth and no loose bits.

This year I've tried putting on a thick layer of waterproof grease on everything above the cavitation plate. I thought I would give it a bash on the principle nothing ventured nothing gained but was sceptical in our 4 knt river currents it would stay on for long. Well I've done 170 nm on the plane this month so far and the boat has been in the water for 5 weeks with no reduction to the thickness of the grease so I'm holding hopes it will be sufficient to last until the mid season beaching where I will apply some more. Trilux is good below the cavitation plate where it gets water flow and can self ablate once on the plane. Absolutely rubbish above the cavitation plate which is out of the water at speed and cannot ablate and shed the barnacles. (In my own experience at least)

the grease is not a bad idea imo.
    i spray my trim tabs and OD with ACF50, stays on for at least 4 weeks on my trailer based boat that gets a weekly outing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
    That's pretty much what I did when I changed over a few years ago, but if you expose the aluminium then add a primer first (I use hempel underwater primer).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12