Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Novice(ish) sailing to the Isles of Scilly

Quote Originally Posted by Samosun View Post
    I just can't wait to leave in just under 3 weeks!!!! Anyone else here planning on heading out there or who will be there late to mid June?
    I'm sure you'll work it out by the time you get there! We sailed our current 27ft'er for the first time from Elmsworth round to Milford Haven. We nearly went to the Isles of Scilly by mistake!
    We're planning on leaving Wales around the 19th/20th June, weather dependent, to sail there - let's hope the weather plays ball! It's a relatively short passage from Lands End. We may very well end up "around the corner" at Penzance waiting for better weather. Just as an aside, I got a 15kg Kobra a couple of years ago, and it's been great - IMHO an 8kg would be fine for your boat.
    Good luck!
    Cutlass 27

I'm reading this with interest, lots of good advice. I'm doing much the same, but in little bites - I'm only as far as Torquay at the moment (from Poole) and heading a bit further along next week. My boat is a similar size too at 25' and likewise I'm doing mine solo. It sounds like you are comfortably on track and considering all the right things - I agree with the previous comments that you certainly won't want to hand steer these long legs, so yes, a tillerpilot will be super useful, other options work too though - I've added a small Windpilot which, though I'm still getting used to it, is great to have and there's also something extra pleasing about the silent steering and not relying on electrical power. Have you come accros Fooloish Mews / Andrew Evans? There's his free to download book stuffed full of great tips and advice on solo sailing which if you haven't already discovered I think you might like and find useful.
    I won't get down as far as the Scilly Isles until probably July so you'll be passing me soon I guess, have a great adventure.

What's been said plus:

keep an eye on the weather for where you want to be if it blows. Lots of good anchorage but most get uncomfortable when wind into them. St Mary's are very helpful with local knowledge.

I usually stock up before as everything is imported to the isles and therefore pricey.

You'll be able to get water and fuel before others as they will have to wait for the tide ��

Sound like we could be having a YBW get together there

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteadee View Post

Loads of great advice here, thanks!

Zoidberg , Nice photo's I'm definitely up for a night at anchor on St Agnes! I've walked along that beach a few times...pub's a bonus too!

Radar reflector seems sensible, I've done some research and it seems like the tube ones are pretty much useless. Without going too off topic as I know this has been covered but would an Octohedral one be good enough? I've spent a lot of cash this year so am trying to save where i can. An Echomax or similar is just another 100, and although I've actually done a bit of night sailing I'm not intending on doing any intentionally. Will also be trying to avoid fog if possible

Quote Originally Posted by mattonthesea View Post
    I usually stock up before as everything is imported to the isles and therefore pricey.
    I'll be sure to stock up on plenty of supplies before I leave! Although it's a small boat I've got a lot of storage space.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteadee View Post
    I'm game for a pint or two over there. Also if anyone else is planning on heading over mid June it would be nice to have company. I have no set plans time wise, Just planning on going where the wind takes me...literally
    Last edited by Samosun; 16-05-19 at 20:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Samosun View Post
    Loads of great advice here, thanks!

Zoidberg , Nice photo's I'm definitely up for a night

Radar reflector seems sensible, I've done some research and it seems like the tube ones are pretty much useless. Without going too off topic as I know this has been covered but would an Octohedral one be good enough? I've spent a lot of cash this year so am trying to save where i can. An Echomax or similar is just another 100, and although I've actually done a bit of night sailing I'm not intending on doing any intentionally. Will also be trying to avoid fog if possible
    Making a recommendation for anything on here just invites a wheen of trolls and a down-spiralling argument that just goes on, goes on, goes on - like Mrs Doyle.

However, I'll make an exception for this purpose.

I've been in enough dense fog, by the ends of TSS various AND within them, and with multiple lumps of steel charging past almost but not quite unseen, to counsel emphatically.....

You and I need a big, fat, reliable radar reflector for those late afternoons and nights when you can't see the other traffic passing at speed ahead and astern of you, but you can hear it.

The tube reflectors are functionally useless. So also are yotties' octohedrals. That has been well proven by definitive research done by Qinetiq, reported by our host magazines time and again, yet the 'old wives tale' persists. And there will some 'old wives' mashing their toothless gums just waiting to chime in with 'I know better'......

I understand your fiscal predicament. So here's a solution. It's the one I chose for myself, so I put my money and my soft pink bod where my mouf is.

Go get yourself an Echomax E230i inflatable. Go here https://www.echomax.co.uk/new-seconds.html as I did, and fork out 55 for a tested effective device. They are not at all 'sub standard' - one had been shown at a Boat Show, another had a couple of marker pen lines. I nabbed those! Speak to John Simpson there, mention me, and perhaps he'll do you an even better deal. He's the absolute industry expert, an old-style radar nerd, but straight as a die.

Get in before the rest of the herd!

Sure, you need to inflate the thing when needed, and hoist it on a signal halyard - but that's exactly what you need, and exactly what I do. Get in quick
    Last edited by zoidberg; 16-05-19 at 20:47.

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    .....And there will some 'old wives' mashing their toothless gums just waiting to chime in with 'I know better'......

It’s impossible to get all the required safety equipment on your boat......get a 30 footer........joking

I did Chichester to Scillies and back on my own last year (albeit in a 29 footer). It's obviously a bit easier if you break it into day sails (e.g. behind Keyhaven, Studland, Starehole bay, Cawsand bay, Falmouth / Newlyn and then onto the Scillies.

I got caught out on the way back across the Irish sea where it was blowing F6 with a pretty rough sea (neither of which were forecast), which resulted in a pretty miserable 5 hours until I got into the shelter of the mainland.

Take fuel, take your time, take lots of photos.

IMG_3719a.jpg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast