Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Novice(ish) sailing to the Isles of Scilly

Hello all,

So, the background.....a few months ago I bought a very cheap Invader 22 bilge keeler. I've been improving it and getting to know it since, and done a fair bit of single handing around Chichester harbour and the Solent. This is my second boat, first was a 22' Westerly Nomad. I lived on this for 2 years but only sailed it half a dozen times, mostly single handed. I've done my Dayskipper (4 years ago) and some dinghy sailing. I have also done a couple of channel crossings as crew but this was 8 years ago. I have taken the whole of June off and am planning on sailing to Cornwall (Family from Mevagissey) mostly on my own but my partner will join me for a week and I may have crew for some of the rest of it.
    I would really love to sail to the Isles of Scilly, as I love the place. I will probably be doing it all single handed (with my dog, who is fine on the boat). By this point I will have been sailing my boat for many miles and at least a couple of weeks so should be pretty used to its idiosyncrasies. I'm going to sort out a Tiller pilot, my engine is a 3 month old Tohatsu 6hp which will have just had it's 3 month service so should be as reliable as is possible. Sails are in OK condition. Hanked on headsails, both Genny and Jib.

I am young(ish), fit, strong and very calm in a tough situation. I'm intending to head to Penzance (or nearby) and am happy to wait a up to a week for decent weather.

So, Is this sensible? or should I just wait until I have more experience, crew, and/or maybe a bigger boat? Any gear I shouldn't conciser leaving without?

If i'm not being foolhardy does anyone have any advice? What conditions should I avoid for the crossing on a small boat? Any areas I should avoid or definitely visit? Any advice is very welcome!

Default Re: Novice(ish) sailing to the Isles of Scilly

I think the fact you've clearly thought it through & sought advice says quite a lot. You have enough experience IMO, a tiller pilot yes is almost a must, if you can a PLB wouldn't be a bad idea as well as VHF radio. Just don't go if the weather's too bad but if weather's OK I say go for it & I'm sure you'll enjoy it & gain confidence...

Just go,that’s to some extent what the sea is all about and in reality very much all that is left for ordinary people todo ,getting away taking decisions ,risk!......

P.s.....How did you find the Nomad?
    Last edited by Wansworth; 15-05-19 at 14:21.

Certainly doable in a 22ft boat if it's fitted out for the job, it's a 60 odd nM passage from Falmouth so some form of automatic steering is a must.
    You will have a better idea if you are up to it once you have crossed Lyme Bay as that is a similar distance but it could be argued in more friendly sea conditions.
    You will certainly need to get yourself out of sheltered waters and do some workup outings when the weather isn't as nice as you are comfortable with so you will know if you can cope.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

I think by the time the OP sails to Penzance, he will have a very good idea as to whether he is up to sailing to the Isles of Scilly.

I hope that it all goes well. I was that young adventurer once... Just do it.
    Semper aliud

Sailing *to* the Isles of Scilly isn't the problem, it's navigating *around* them that is the issue.

The hop from Penzance to IoS is about 30nm so it's like any 6hr coastal passage except that:
    a) you don't have to worry about hitting land (until right at the end)
    b) at the worst you're 3hrs from land if you run into trouble
    Getting an accurate forecast for the next 24hrs is easy these days (I like the Windy app) so you shouldn't be concerned about encountering conditions you're not prepared for.

We sailed from the Helford to Scilly about five years ago in our 22 foot trailer sailer with Bft 5 on a beam reach. It was a good fast sail but once out beyond land the surging waves meant that our brand new autohelm, bought especially for the trip, couldn't cope and I had to hand-helm all the way. I wouldn't go in anything stronger unless the wind was behind the beam.

Have a walk round tresco,when you get there.island of two halfs,tis only the weather thats dangerous .go on a good forcast and enjoy

It's more or less certain that the OP will find other boats parked in Penzance or Newlyn waiting to hop across. A crossing in company, especially if another boat knows the islands, would be good way to nail it.
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

You say you love the place, have you been there by boat before? If so you will already know the following:-
    To add to others good advice,
    Take a good anchor and warp, no marina type moorings
    water is relatively hard to come by, and can be expensive, a flat hose, to avoid carrying.

Phone signal was only 3g from all carriers. I imagine most pubs will charge a phone while you eat.
    Dont miss Tresco Gardens, or the most westerly pub, the Turks head Did a fab Steak last year, so good went back 3 times.,on St Agnes, or the beach between St Agnes and Gugh, which goes under at 4.2 Mtr

only 2 big shops for food, one on tresco, and a coop on stmarys, both good for the cruising boat.
    There is a boat yard and slip nr st marys , for essential repairs although I havnt used it along with a Chandler at the top of the northerly landing point on Bryher.

Fuel is only really available from st Marys, and expensive, so take as much as you can.

Enjoy, a lovely destination!
    David

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast