Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Novice(ish) sailing to the Isles of Scilly

Hi Samosun, I was amazed to read your thread because I too own an Invader 22. I'm on the hard at the moment finishing a lengthy refit, mostly cosmetic thankfully. New mast head lights and Windex was the hardest task.
    I too, plan a decent voyage this year, hopefully casting off around June/July. i have sights set on the Canaries with the slight possibility of a Caribbean venture but that's only a pipe dream at the moment.
    You appear to have everything in order, take note from the good advice given here and let the lines go and Bon Voyage

ref radar reflectors - I'm sure you've probably already got something that you're happy with, but I was/am sceptical as to the performance of just about any reflector that might sensibly fit on the little mast of my small boat, so instead I have fitted a dual band echomax on a pole at the stern - it certainly alerts me to plenty of ship radar hits, and I am assuming therefore that these same are getting a decent signal returned, having AIS is also great and it's good knowing that this is adding to our visibility with all others who are using it (and yes - I don't assume that every boat has it or has it switched on, word is that plenty of fishing boats hide themselves by turning it off? But I've seen plenty of them with it on too.)

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    Go get yourself an Echomax E230i inflatable.
    Cheers, I will call him today. I’d not really considered a radar reflector if I’m honest. I’ve crossed quite a few shipping channels, especially in the Solent and never saw what the fuss was about. Never really considered fog on what could be a 10 hour crossing. I’d imaging it would be scary as hell in a shipping channel in fog! 55 is not a lot to pay to protect my “soft pink bod”

Quote Originally Posted by Wansworth View Post
    It’s impossible to get all the required safety equipment on your boat......get a 30 footer........joking
    Haha, yeah one day. But hey, ‘small boat, small problem’ as they say. That said my experience so far has been Small boat, dozens of small problems. or at least lots lots of small jobs/changes. Still I’m learning a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    Take fuel, take your time, take lots of photos.
    Attachment 77877
    Will do, I’ll be taking plenty of spare petrol, not that my lovely shiny 6hp outboard does anything but sip the fuel. Hull speed is about 1/3 throttle! Hopefully I’ll be able to avoid any Force 6 winds though!

Quote Originally Posted by Oletimer View Post
    Hi Samosun, I was amazed to read your thread because I too own an Invader 22. I'm on the hard at the moment finishing a lengthy refit, mostly cosmetic thankfully. New mast head lights and Windex was the hardest task.
    Nice, I’d like to here more about your refit. Got any good pictures? I’m fitting new LED Nav lights tomorrow as mine don’t work or aren’t fitted. I also need to find out why my anchor light doesn’t work….I was planning on just hoisting a battery powered one on a halyard if I’m on anchor. I’ve got a bright IP68 rechargeable lantern that will easily last a few nights. I assume you dropped the mast? One thing I look forward to about a bigger boat is being able to climb the mast. I think my bulk at the top of my little mast may be a bit much for her!

Also Oletimer…What is extra ironic is my first boat was called ‘Old Timer’! ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Phildorset View Post
    so instead I have fitted a dual band echomax on a pole at the
    Definitely something to consider in the future… they do cost more than I paid for my boat though! Expensive this boat malarkey!! That said if I was doing anything more than coast hopping it’s a small price for peace of mind!
    Last edited by Samosun; 17-05-19 at 06:37.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    Certainly doable in a 22ft boat if it's fitted out for the job, it's a 60 odd nM passage from Falmouth so some form of automatic steering is a must.
    Helpful, but not essential. I sailed my 21' Jouster all over the place without any sort of automatic steering.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by Samosun View Post

Definitely something to consider in the future… they do cost more than I paid for my boat though! Expensive this boat malarkey!! That said if I was doing anything more than coast hopping it’s a small price for peace of mind!

Yes, a lot of things are cheap enough but you can't buy it all, do your best as you see it, and crack on.

There is a traffic separation scheme which needs a bit of thinking about because you encounter it at the worst possible orientation. As you skirt the southern edge ships will be entering at all sorts of angles and the same for ships making their exits. This is a good enough reason to avoid the trip if there is any talk of fog in the forecast.

An ideal alternative harbour to wait for weather to make the crossing would be mousehole turn to port on entry and tie up alongside the wall. Definitely better than being in Penzance or on a buoy outside the harbour. Difference between heading for Scilly or newlyn after rounding the lizard from Falmouth or helford is only a few hours more. On the way out do the long stint from Falmouth or helford in one go so you don’t waste a decent weather window. For the return you can break that down to two shorter hops with a stop in mousehole that way you can time your runs to the lizard with more confidence and catch the tide bang on slack or turning in your favour, especially handy in a small slow boat. Pick neaps if it fits with your plans
    I need vitamin Sea

Quote Originally Posted by Samosun View Post
    CId not really considered a radar reflector if Im honest. Ive crossed quite a few shipping channels, especially in the Solent and never saw what the fuss was about. Never really considered fog on what could be a 10 hour crossing. Id imaging it would be scary as hell in a shipping channel in fog! 55 is not a lot to pay to protect my soft pink bod
    On the way back from Alderney last year I suddenly found myself enveloped by thick fog which hadn't been forecast. Visibility was down to about 50 metres and it would have been very scary if I hadn't got my AIS reciever as there would have been no time to take avoiding action if something big had appeared out of the fog.

I was near the end of the eastbound TSS and the AIS showed several ships heading in my direction one of which was on a collision course or very close to it. I tried calling it on VHF just to check whether it could see me on it's radar but got no reply. When it got closer I was going to turn to port to pass behind it, but just as I was about to turn it changed course itself to miss me so I must have shown up on it's radar. I have a basic 16" octahedral reflector which must have been doing something, although the sea was calm which probably helped.

I'll see what I can do about the pictures, I do have a fair few but mostly about repairing my outboard - she was built with an inboard but a prior owner didn't like diesel.
    Now that's what I'd call a coincidence, noting the variation in spelling, of course (haha)
    Didn't want to say anything about 'old' because Father Time is my younger brother...
    Looking forward to relaunch - should be all done in a fortnight, be nice to meet you somewhere and compare 'babies'. Seems we have something in common. Till then, Bon Voyage.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Helpful, but not essential. I sailed my 21' Jouster all over the place without any sort of automatic steering.
    and your longest solo passage in it was?
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234