Default Fairline SQ58 – Converting from Europe to US

OK, so here is my first request for help as I start to shape my thinking. I am looking for a Fairline SQ58 (2004-2008). There are very few for sale here in the US, but lots in Europe, so I am seriously considering buying there, shipping to here and converting.

Aside from the obvious logistics/costs of shipping etc (all of which I have a pretty good handle on), there is the electrical question. The US is 110V 60Hz vs UK/Europe being 220V 50Hz. The electrical systems will need to be modified and, according to Fairline, it is “often done”. From my limited research to date, I know of a couple of companies over here that can do (and certify) the work. I just want to give them an idea of what is involved for quote/budgeting purposes.

I reached out to Fairline’s technical team with the following questions (and received their answers below), but I wondered if the combined brain trust of this forum may have some additional thoughts/comments/perspective?

Q1. Will any (all?) of the core wiring need to be changed? I can’t believe Fairline would have different looms for US vs European build, but worth checking.
    A1. The wiring after the distribution panel will be ok. From the shoreline inputs to the distribution panel will need to be looked at/changed

Q2. Assume the changes to the Generator would be just at the business end of the electrical output vs a wholesale replacement of the entire unit? Maybe just a circuit board? Please advise.
    A2. The ONAN generator can be changed by the local dealer to 110/60Hz

Q3. Per the above, same with Air Conditioning units? Would only need some internal wiring/circuit board changes, rather than complete replacement of the entire A/C units, correct?
    A3. This will need to be checked with Dometic but I do not think this is a problem, the chiller may need to change but not the handlers

Q4. Is the grill on the fly bridge rated for 110v and 250v or would it need to be changed?
    A4. This unit is 220v and will need to be changed

Q5. Ice maker on fly bridge - 12v or 240v/110v?
    A5. Ice maker is 220v and will need to be changed

Q6. Also I assume I would need new breakers (and a breaker panel?)
    A6. Correct all 220v breakers will need to be changed to double pole

In addition to the above and installing new US AC power outlets, I can think of the following “appliances” that would need to be changed to 110V 60Hz: Flybridge Grill, Ice Maker, Fridge(s), Freezer(s), Microwave, Dishwasher, Hob, Washer/Dryer and any 220V audio and TV systems.......... but are there any other gotchas?

All thoughts/comments gratefully received and appreciated.

Thank you,
    Simon
    Current: Sea Ray SB 400, Maxum 2300SC
    Previous: Fairline T40, Doral 330, Fletcher 160 GTO

Default Re: Fairline SQ58 – Converting from Europe to US

Quote Originally Posted by LI-Boater View Post
    I reached out to Fairline’s technical team with the following questions (and received their answers below)
    Was that the dealer or the factory?

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    Was that the dealer or the factory?
    I reached out to the factory directly... I bought a brand new T40 from them in 2005, so went straight to the organ grinders.

Me Cheltenham, boat Sant Carles de la Rapida

Hi

A few years back I bought a Sea Ray 400 from Florida and imported it to the UK and then took it down to the Med, so I have a little experience in this, but primarily the other way around.

As far as a European boat going to the USA, this may be worth a thought;

I don't believe it would be viable to try and convert the boat to US power specs of 100 volts.

Although I converted my last Sea Ray to run on 220 volts, I did not change anything on the boat except the original 1997 battery charger, I left the boat as was and fitted a Step Down transformer (220 volts to 100 volts) in the transom locker, and that worked fine for the 5 plus years I owned the boat.

The battery charger did need changing because it was (I think) 60 hertz and UK / Europe is 50 hertz. Everything else worked without problem. That was a 1997 boat, and in later years, most items run on 50 or 60 hertz, the Victron Inverter / Charger on my current boat will accept either I believe. Looking on the spec sheet it says they will operate on a wide range, 45 - 60 Hz so that would not need changing at all. The Generator would continue to operate as it is also.

There is this Step Up transformer I see advertised, ($450), that would be the route I would follow.

https://voltage-converter-transforme...r-ce-certified

It also mentions using two phases in the US to get 220 volts, but it would operate on single phase 100 volts stepping up to 220 volts.

Simran THG-20000 110V-220/240 Volt Step Up Down Voltage Transformer – Voltage Converter Transformers
    20,000 Watts Heavy-Duty Continuous Use Voltage Converter Transformer. This power converter converts 110/120 Volt to Single Phase 220/240 Volts or Single Phase 220/240 Volts Down to 110/120V. This transformer has to be hard wired. Will NOT work with 2-Phase 220 Volt power in USA. Maximum capacity is 20,000 watt.
    voltage-converter-transformers.com

Worth calculating to see if this unit would supply sufficient for your needs.

Graham
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.........

Quote Originally Posted by GSL View Post
    Hi

A few years back I bought a Sea Ray 400 from Florida and imported it to the UK and then took it down to the Med, so I have a little experience in this, but primarily the other way around.

As far as a European boat going to the USA, this may be worth a thought;

I don't believe it would be viable to try and convert the boat to US power specs of 100 volts.

Although I converted my last Sea Ray to run on 220 volts, I did not change anything on the boat except the original 1997 battery charger, I left the boat as was and fitted a Step Down transformer (220 volts to 100 volts) in the transom locker, and that worked fine for the 5 plus years I owned the boat.

The battery charger did need changing because it was (I think) 60 hertz and UK / Europe is 50 hertz. Everything else worked without problem. That was a 1997 boat, and in later years, most items run on 50 or 60 hertz, the Victron Inverter / Charger on my current boat will accept either I believe. Looking on the spec sheet it says they will operate on a wide range, 45 - 60 Hz so that would not need changing at all. The Generator would continue to operate as it is also.

There is this Step Up transformer I see advertised, ($450), that would be the route I would follow.

It also mentions using two phases in the US to get 220 volts, but it would operate on single phase 100 volts stepping up to 220 volts.

Simran THG-20000 110V-220/240 Volt Step Up Down Voltage Transformer – Voltage Converter Transformers
    20,000 Watts Heavy-Duty Continuous Use Voltage Converter Transformer. This power converter converts 110/120 Volt to Single Phase 220/240 Volts or Single Phase 220/240 Volts Down to 110/120V. This transformer has to be hard wired. Will NOT work with 2-Phase 220 Volt power in USA. Maximum capacity is 20,000 watt.
    voltage-converter-transformers.com

Worth calculating to see if this unit would supply sufficient for your needs.

Graham
    That's too funny/coincidental... my current boat (just sold) is a 2003 SB400... we love(d) it, but simply (sadly) outgrew it... need to move up.

I like your suggestion(s) and they may work as an interim solution, but my preference would be to do a full (certified) conversion... would be needed to have any kind of resale value in the US... which is why I initially reached out directly to the factory and I was pleased to hear them say it is "often done"... there are a bunch of companies here in the US that do this kind of work and my initial conversations with Dometic (air conditioning) and Cummins (ONAN generator) is that the big ticket items of air con and generator may be simple software changes - more digging to be done, clearly, but it has my grey cells working.

Thanks for the suggestion, though... like I say, could be a great interim solution.

Cheers,
    Simon

Your age range is only 4 years - could an older (2002) vessel be acceptable perhaps if it is in 'good' condition?
    Here is a 2002 model for sale in New York for US$ 549,000
    https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...on-58-3254972/

Here is a 2006 model in Fort Lauderdale for US$ 595,000
    https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...on-58-3500697/
    Here is a useful guide to Barbados - http://www.doyleguides.com/barbados/

Quote Originally Posted by Bajansailor View Post
    Your age range is only 4 years - could an older (2002) vessel be acceptable perhaps if it is in 'good' condition?
    Here is a 2002 model for sale in New York for US$ 549,000
    https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...on-58-3254972/

Here is a 2006 model in Fort Lauderdale for US$ 595,000
    https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...on-58-3500697/
    I've been watching both online for a while... the 2002 NY boat has been on the market for years... not very well optioned (no passerelle, no crew cabin etc...), so, clearly, overpriced... the 2006 Florida boat looks interesting (with new(ish) engines), but also over-priced compared with other SQ58s sold recently here (although it would save on any conversion)... all interesting food for thought as I look at my options.

Thanks,
    Simon

It might still be worthwhile going to have a look at both of these vessels?
    The Long Island boat should be fairly local to you (?), and as she has been on the market for years it would probably be very reasonable to make a ridiculously low offer to take into account the money that you would spend to bring her up to your desired specification.
    Similarly the Florida boat - might be easier to commission a surveyor in Florida to go and look at her on your behalf, and then use the defects list (there are bound to be lots if the surveyor puts his / her pedantic hat on....) to justify another ridiculously low asking price.
    And then you can see how ridiculous the offers are by the reactions of the sellers.
    One might well accept.
    I think that it would probably be much easier / less stressful in the long run to bring one of these boats up to the specification that you want, rather than trying to modify a boat built for Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bajansailor View Post
    It might still be worthwhile going to have a look at both of these vessels?
    The Long Island boat should be fairly local to you (?), and as she has been on the market for years it would probably be very reasonable to make a ridiculously low offer to take into account the money that you would spend to bring her up to your desired specification.
    Similarly the Florida boat - might be easier to commission a surveyor in Florida to go and look at her on your behalf, and then use the defects list (there are bound to be lots if the surveyor puts his / her pedantic hat on....) to justify another ridiculously low asking price.
    And then you can see how ridiculous the offers are by the reactions of the sellers.
    One might well accept.
    I think that it would probably be much easier / less stressful in the long run to bring one of these boats up to the specification that you want, rather than trying to modify a boat built for Europe.
    I have asked my broker to pull global comps as a starting point for any thought process... you may well be right... certainly the easiest option (and the Hamptons boat is "just down the road" from me)... however, I am a UK native and always back and forth to Europe, so not so daunting as some may thing... in any event, I could easily overpay $100K by doing the wrong thing (either way)... hence why I'm asking these questions on this forum (and getting great advice).

Thanks,
    Simon

Doh!
    I just realized that I was looking at both your Sq58-related threads, and I posted in the other one a reply mostly meant to address the AC conversion.
    I'm not making a cut and paste to avoid redundancy, but the post I'm talking about is this one, just to reference it also here.