Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Fairline SQ58 (2006) – Thoughts on high hours European boat (Tax NOT paid)

In my search for a Fairline SQ58, this one caught my eye: https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...on-58-3524175/

It appears to have VERY high hours (2350 hours on a 2006 boat (vs my current, well-used, 2003 boat at 950 hours)? However, other than that, what questions should I ask (from a distance) before jumping on a plane and then, what should I look for as potential problem areas from a highly-used (probably chartered at some point) boat?

I know it is “Tax NOT paid”, which actually suits me, as I would be shipping to the US and have to pay NY State tax regardless of whether European tax has been paid, but that may put some buyers off, clearly.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/input/help/advice… it’s going to be a long road, but I need to start walking!

Cheers,
    Simon
    Current: Sea Ray SB 400, Maxum 2300SC
    Previous: Fairline T40, Doral 330, Fletcher 160 GTO

Default Re: Fairline SQ58 (2006) – Thoughts on high hours European boat (Tax NOT paid)

That is a lot of hours for a 2006 ( in water 2007 ) boat.

At some point it will have been a charter boat.

As for generator hours - they will be huge if charter ( the gen often runs 24/7)

The usual issues are

- cabin linings are falling off at that age
    - the teak is shot or close to shot ( this one does not have teak side decks with is an advantage)

They have replaced the carpets and exterior covers.

They have no generic faults per se ( I have a 2004 S58).

There are often hours debates on here. Personally the hours are too hi for me. There was a hi hours one in Palma and it stuck for a long time.

Default Re: Fairline SQ58 (2006) – Thoughts on high hours European boat (Tax NOT paid)

Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post
    As for generator hours - they will be huge if charter ( the gen often runs 24/7)
    Agreed (per my other thread, I live in the US, so will need to convert to US, so maybe should factor in a new/refurbished US generator?)

- the teak is shot or close to shot ( this one does not have teak side decks with is an advantage)
    Thanks… will keep that in mind and, perhaps, get a quote for Flexiteek replacement?

There are often hours debates on here. Personally the hours are too hi for me. There was a hi hours one in Palma and it stuck for a long time.
    It’s always an emotive subject and I agree with your point. I will get a “tear down and rebuild” quote from Volvo here in the US so I go in with eyes wide open.

Really appreciate the help/perspective.

Thanks,
    Simon

I have a boat in Altea marina, where this is based. Would you like me to take a quick look before you fly over? If so, let me know what in particular you’d like me to look at/for and anything you want photos of. I’m here until early June, apart from 5 days next week.

As a tester to see if it's worth going further you could ask to see any paperwork to back up the claim " service every 200hrs or year" which ever came sooner .
    If it's true the broker should email the file by return as that's what every propect will be asking .
    I viewed a high hrs " meticulous " owner described by the broker and to be fair in his office it took me nearly an hour just go a few years back - It was all there every bill .
    Only after scrutiny of the history file we went to view .
    Pointless with out as if there's no invoice it's not been done !

Quote Originally Posted by longjohnsilver View Post
    I have a boat in Altea marina, where this is based. Would you like me to take a quick look before you fly over? If so, let me know what in particular you’d like me to look at/for and anything you want photos of. I’m here until early June, apart from 5 days next week.
    That is an incredibly generous offer and, probably, yes... let me get the closing on my sale of my current boat behind me (closes on Monday next week), then I'll speak with my broker about what we'd like to see (I assume serial numbers of engines, generator etc..., so I can get quotes for refurb as needed)... PLUS, per jrudge above: "The usual issues are:
    - cabin linings are falling off at that age
    - the teak is shot or close to shot"

Thanks again for the offer... I'll PM you to see if we can coordinate with your (and the selling broker's) schedules?

Cheers,
    Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    As a tester to see if it's worth going further you could ask to see any paperwork to back up the claim " service every 200hrs or year" which ever came sooner .
    If it's true the broker should email the file by return as that's what every propect will be asking .
    I viewed a high hrs " meticulous " owner described by the broker and to be fair in his office it took me nearly an hour just go a few years back - It was all there every bill .
    Only after scrutiny of the history file we went to view .
    Pointless with out as if there's no invoice it's not been done !
    I have retained a "buyer's broker" (pretty normal here in the US), so I will get him to dig into what you suggest... I agree with you, bills (for parts/components at least) should be available... I'm fine with competent owners doing their own work, as I do a lot of my own on my boat, as the first year I had my current boat I got a "reputable local yard" to do a bunch of servicing work and they did more harm than good... if I can do the work I would rather do it myself and know it's done thoroughly and completely.

However, to your point, I was able to provide every single bill for every nut, bolt, oil filter etc... to my buyer for scrutiny... same should apply here, I agree.

Many thanks,
    Simon

The guy that looks after my boat lives in Altea and is ex Fairline. I bet he knows the boat. I'll ask him.

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    The guy that looks after my boat lives in Altea and is ex Fairline. I bet he knows the boat. I'll ask him.
    Thank you... PM me if that is easier... I could provide my mobile number and/or call him, if he's open to that?

I think I'd have a look at this one + there was another cheaper US boat advertised. Save a lot of hassle and expense.

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/2...nced%20listing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast