Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Fairline SQ58 (2006) – Thoughts on high hours European boat (Tax NOT paid)

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    With those hrs and suspicion of ex charter there may be oil analysis records ?
    Not just for the operator/ owners on going benefit but obviously future resale ease .
    Anyhow if not you could ( via your home agent and another local ) arrange a snapshot to ID any thing major as opposed to add another ( if they have not been done regularly?) .
    As said earlier ordinarily if they have been text book maintained by a fastidious owner I would not be too put off by higher hrs .
    As said no paperwork to substantiate that claim then buyer be ware.
    It's actually lack of use low hrs imho with boats and cars that result in unscheduled big bills . Folks extended oil changes due to low useage , skipping " timed " stuff like valve clearance because it's not done the hrs etc .
    The oil pans leak on those engines current thinking is the extra torgue increases over the years have exceeded the lower block webbing stiffness and it twists enough to open the pan gasket seal .
    No biggie just messey part and parcel of D12 development.

Assuming the history is traceable,-step 1 oil analysis comes back within spec -step 2 , a third step long range could be a bora scope of the cylinders .

If it passes all 3 then as said no real no no s with high hrs .
    As far a residuals are concerned you just carry on with the batton of good services timely etc and regular oil analysis use genuine parts and continue the history file for the next owner.
    Thanks... and as I have said previously, I know high hours vs low hours is a very emotive (and often polarising) subject... I happen to be in your camp on this one, too... low hours (with little use/maintenenca) would scare me more than high hours with good records...

I have just commented on another thread that I am in the process of selling my current boat (completes on Monday)... having had a (well-resepcetd) yard do initial servicing and maintenance when I first bought her (and royally messed everything up), I decided to hit youtube and do any work I could do myself... this means I don't have files of invoices from mechanics and yards, but I do have files of invoices from Amazon and West Marine showing every part, filter, gallon of oil/antifreeze etc... PLUS I changed the oils and filters every autumn and while doing so, took oil samples ($20 per engine, why doesn't everyone!?)... I provided all this to the buyer and he was more-than-happy...

Thanks for the comment/steer on the oil pans (I didn't know that)... I'm also asking Volvo for a price for a complete tear down and rebuild of the D12s, so I know what I'm up against as a worst-case-scenario)...

Thanks again.

Cheers,
    Simon
    Current: Sea Ray SB 400, Maxum 2300SC
    Previous: Fairline T40, Doral 330, Fletcher 160 GTO

Default Re: Fairline SQ58 (2006) – Thoughts on high hours European boat (Tax NOT paid)

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    True, except the boat engines are effectively driving up hill under load for the majority of the time, unlike a car.
    I agree with boats vs car comparison (driving up hill), so I'd rather compare boats vs tractor trailers (lorries)... they operate under load most of the time and, provided they are well-maintained (huge assumption), they can easily have a life of between 500,000 to 800,000 miles... it's all in the maintenance.

Cheers,
    Simon

Just bear in mind the operating environment is very different. Loading assail earlier, but also months and months of doing nothing.

There is no magic answer, but bear in mind engine hours are not just engine hours, but an overall expression of how used the boat it. Machinery does wear out, so one way or another it has used more if its useful life - all of it - not just the engines.

if you buy it just make sure it is reflected the price. I will not be a fast mover in the market at those hours as general sentiment will be against it. You can of course use that to your advantage when buying.

I always used to be very high miles 2-3 year old cars as I never used it much so it was OK by the time I sold, but iff you are going to use it then the hours will jet get higher.

All this excellent advice and perspective is precisely why I started this thread... I'm not sure this is "my next boat" and I am in NO rush to buy another boat just to have one... the sale of my SB400 should complete next week (so I can start looking in earnest), but I still have the Maxum to tool around in, so I plan on taking my time... you've seen from the other thread that, as I'm an Englishman in NY, I am at the mercy of limited inventory here, hence looking further afield...

I agree with all your points and comments... if I move forward at all, I plan to get a quote from Volvo and ONAN here for a complete tear down and rebuild of the engines and generator (so I know my worst-case scenario position)... as for wear and tear of the rest, I've seen some stunning interior refits of SQ58s, so would like to consider that in any boat I choose, so an immaculate boat also wouldn't suit me... all of which needs to be factored into any offer for any boat.

Really appreciate all the context, advice and perspective... it's a big investment and I want to have my eyes open(ed) as much as possible.

Cheers,
    Simon

Quote Originally Posted by colhel View Post
    Feel like I'm punching above my weight here but I've just done some sums...
    If a car has 2350 hours and averaged 30mph (this is a figure ive guessed) the total milaege would be 70500.
    For a 12 litre engine, this seems like nothing to me.
    The fact is most people don't use their boats very much ( motoring). It always amazes me the low engine hours on second hand boats. In reality, 200 hours a year, if you do a summer cruise and use it throughout the year, is easy to achieve if you are retired. In my 9 years of owning a motor boat, I have clocked up between 200 and 250 hours a year. So, it doesn't necessarily mean, it has been chartered.

A truck at cruise probably uses 20% -30 % of rated power

A boat is probably 70-80% so the two are not comparable.

A truck is used daily. A boat for 3-4 months infrequently then 8 months of nothing in a generally salt laden moist environment.

On the leisure not market 2500 hours is considered high by the market given other examples show far Lower hours.

Would a 100 hour 15 year old boat be attractive? I suspect not as it is too little use. It’s loke the 3 bears. You need it just right !

This has been debated before but at the end of the day market norms prevail. Will people buy a 10,0000 mile plus car ? Generally no. Will it last 250,000 - probably.

It all comes down to individuals and price. Will a 2500 hour boat be harder to sell. Yes

Surveyed a 2003 Sealine S34 with 150 hours - engineers report = not good. sea water in oil. Heavily corroded + lots of other things. Surveyed another S34 - engines were worn at 900 hours.

Finally settled on a very well looked after 1500 hour boat with D4s. Stacks of service history covering the many hours of low stress river use.

Time will tell if it was the right choice but I can categorically say the 150 hour boat was immaculate to look at but had not been maintained at all. The higher hour boat we bought needed some cosmetics but mechanically sound.

Don΄t know if it΄s possible on these Volvos but on must four stroke outboards and Mercruiser inboards from approximately the same year and up you can plug in a scan tool or computer to see hours/rpms
    For example 0-1000rpm 200h, 1000-1500rpm 80h, 1500-2000rpm 100h and so on
    If this is possible it could change everything about being sceptical of the high hours

This popped into my inbox
    https://www.abys-yachting.com/yacht-...tofino-53/1282
    All tax paid very low hours and everything (genny engines Williams) recently fully serviced. Immaculate condition
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123