Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Fast boil kettles

& whatever you do - Do not watch it.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    Sailing is not a rational sport.
    Rational?...not very. Sport?...often not, I'd have thought.
    Discuss over a cuppa.
    All epigrams are false

So, moving on. Full or low burner for maximum efficiency? My morning routine aboard fits best with a long, low boil up (no further details will be provided). The wisdom of crowds i.e. Google suggests this is inefficient as the kettle radiates heats to its surroundings for longer. However, no one seems to mention the advantages of a flatter thermal gradient or the conductivity of the kettle and contents. Intuitivly, based on the noise the burner makes I think long and slow wins the day. Any definitive answers?
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

For the single-handed sailor all this is academic; the overriding requirement is that the whistle must be audible in the cockpit. Data on whistle volume does not seem to be routinely provided by kettle vendors, and I wonder whether an organisation such as the RYA or the Cruising Association might usefully campaign to remedy this deplorable state of affairs.

Quote Originally Posted by alan_d View Post
    For the single-handed sailor all this is academic; the overriding requirement is that the whistle must be audible in the cockpit. Data on whistle volume does not seem to be routinely provided by kettle vendors, and I wonder whether an organisation such as the RYA or the Cruising Association might usefully campaign to remedy this deplorable state of affairs.
    There is an opportunity here for our technical friends to develop a digital kettle alarm that could be plumbed into the MFD system wirelessly and set off a proper alarm sound. This would convert a system costing pennies into one costing a fortune and which would only last a year or two before needing to be replaced and thus fuel a whole new industry.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    There is an opportunity here for our technical friends to develop a digital kettle alarm that could be plumbed into the MFD system wirelessly and set off a proper alarm sound. This would convert a system costing pennies into one costing a fortune and which would only last a year or two before needing to be replaced and thus fuel a whole new industry.
    That’s so retro.

Bluetooth to a device you hold/pocket and buzzes or alarms etc ...
    Semper aliud

Nah, whistles are too frustrating and always seem to be insufficient.

What you want is a rasberryPi & thermocouple system to detect when kettle gets to the required temp (Between 91 - 96'C - never 100'c for coffee) then sends a signal to my smart watch to alert me and turns the flame off.

Bonus point if I can turn the flames on to start the heating from my bed too.

However for the time being I will settle for a kettle (see what I did there) that pours well and just remember to poke head through companionway a few mins after I've turned to cooker on

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    Isn't putting in the correct amount of water the secret?
    Don't put in 4 mugs of water if you are only making 2 mugs of drinks.
    But if you put in the exact quantity for two mugs, you won't have enough. A little extra is required for the "Angels' Share".

Quote Originally Posted by pessimist View Post
    Thanks everyone. As SWMO suffers from mild ophiophobia looks like we'll settle for a standard fat bottom kettle.
    Had to Google that

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit (of Glenans) View Post
    But if you put in the exact quantity for two mugs, you won't have enough. A little extra is required for the "Angels' Share".
    I thought that angels only drank whiskey...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast