Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Third survey

Default Re: Third survey

I would choose a zaffiro 34 over the Sealine, from personal experience. Much bigger cockpit too

Quote Originally Posted by alt View Post
    I would choose a zaffiro 34 over the Sealine, from personal experience. Much bigger cockpit too
    We all like different things (fortunately) but I wouldn’t (didn’t) choose the Cranchi - looked at one years (three boats) ago and wasn’t keen on the helm set-up, step through windscreen or interior finish.

Cockpit layout different but is there a size difference? A plus point of the S34 for us is the single level so views all round.

All personal preference of course and the Cranchi is not a bad choice if it suits personal preference
    Last edited by Greg2; 16-05-19 at 19:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2 View Post
    We all like different things (fortunately) but I wouldn’t (didn’t) choose the Cranchi - looked at one years (three boats) ago and wasn’t keen on the helm set-up, step through windscreen or interior finish.

Cockpit layout different but is there a size difference? A plus point of the S34 for us is the single level so views all round.

All personal preference of course and the Cranchi is not a bad choice if it suits personal preference
    To be fair the cranchi has the same sized side decks as the S34, but it also has the option of steps up and through the windscreen.
    Dont like em, dont use em but I suppose you have the choice.

I'vve never been a fan either but its much better for kids as 35ft ish sports cruisers have perilously wide side 'decks'
    Free supercharging Tesla referral code http://ts.la/jez9763

Quote Originally Posted by Whitelighter View Post
    To be fair the cranchi has the same sized side decks as the S34, but it also has the option of steps up and through the windscreen.
    Dont like em, dont use em but I suppose you have the choice.

I'vve never been a fan either but its much better for kids as 35ft ish sports cruisers have perilously wide side 'decks'
    Yes, fair comment although it was the aesthetics of the set-up that I wasn’t keen on - unusual for me as function usually triumphs over form

Actually, to be completely fair we also looked at an S34 at the time but it felt a little cramped as we were moving from a Broom Ocean 37 and had our two kids boating with us so we ended up with a Fairline Targa 35, which was just that little bit bigger and the interior finish was a bit better.

Now we are on the downsizing route from our Broom 41 we looked again at the S34 and revised our view - for the two of us with occasional overnight guests it is ideal. It got excellent reviews in MBM and whilst I have loved all of our boats for different reasons I do think that the S34 is hard to beat in its sector. It handles superbly at close quarters - way better than the Targa 35 - and performs well even with the KAD32s. Probably not quite as good on the seakeeping front as something like the Targa 34 but it is okay and that is the trade of for that little bit of extra room in the accommodation.

Nice to have options

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    ...and if the bowthruster shaft has either seized / sheared/woodruff key failed or motor burnt out, it could be obsolete model or manufacturer no longer in business.
    Either a new bowthruster (possible complication of different sized tunnel) or finding somebody to machine up a custom replica replacement shaft.
    Cheap fixes, ie.battery or solinoids tend to get done, 3K new bowthrusters, do not.
    Can give examples of both bowthruster problems as mentioned above. In one case a new shaft had to be machined to save the day.
    As for no allowance for lack of service history on those legs !
    Somebody has already walked away, probably after forking out £1K for lift and survey !
    The bow QL bow thruster is obsolete. But the high current solenoid is available. Easily tested with a known good battery.
    Did anyone say absence of service history on engines and outdrives? Perhaps it's just a service is due?

Quote Originally Posted by MartynG View Post
    The bow QL bow thruster is obsolete. But the high current solenoid is available. Easily tested with a known good battery.
    Did anyone say absence of service history on engines and outdrives? Perhaps it's just a service is due?
    Strange that the broker says the owner has the bill of sales and history in their possession. So I have yet to see anything.
    I have asked to see them before considering making an offer or survey. Broker communication is very vague at best.

Quote Originally Posted by russ View Post
    Strange that the broker says the owner has the bill of sales and history in their possession. So I have yet to see anything.
    I have asked to see them before considering making an offer or survey. Broker communication is very vague at best.
    Buying a boat is not about the asking price, rather it is finding out what the boat is worth, and also what the owner will sell it for when his optimistic AP is set aside. In this case there are serious reasons to be running (rather than walking) away: several prior walkaways; silly surface issues which means the more important bits have also been neglected (likely the reason for the prior sales fall throughs); lack of support for the stated available paperwork.

I do not know the S34 beyond it being a Sealine - have you looked at the Sealine Forum - lots of knowledge there. But I reckon the £67k AP for another boat is a generous starting price here, and I would knock that 10%, so £60 k perhaps - that's 25% off the AP here.

No ignore the above - go in at £51,370. A precise figure is always better received than a vague £52,000. Ok the owner will be insulted, but I bet in 3 weeks time the broker will be back on the phone !
    Interested in Corvettes PM me for details of the Corvette Motorboat Association

I dont know. Im never really sold ont he whole seakeeping thing

Its mainly about weight and the two are quite similar

I like the S34, I think its a great boat.

As you say, good to have options
    Free supercharging Tesla referral code http://ts.la/jez9763

Quote Originally Posted by Whitelighter View Post
    yeah but why has it got my nan's living room for a cockpit?
    Buy any Broom and get your great great grandmothers living room.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234