Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Third survey

Default Re: Third survey

A new battery or possibly a solenoid will probably sort the bow thruster. If so £100.
    ...and if the bowthruster shaft has either seized / sheared/woodruff key failed or motor burnt out, it could be obsolete model or manufacturer no longer in business.
    Either a new bowthruster (possible complication of different sized tunnel) or finding somebody to machine up a custom replica replacement shaft.
    Cheap fixes, ie.battery or solinoids tend to get done, 3K new bowthrusters, do not.
    Can give examples of both bowthruster problems as mentioned above. In one case a new shaft had to be machined to save the day.
    As for no allowance for lack of service history on those legs !
    Somebody has already walked away, probably after forking out £1K for lift and survey !
    Last edited by oldgit; 16-05-19 at 07:29.

Quote Originally Posted by russ View Post
    Itís on at £80k. I agree that servicing and AF are part and parcel of owning a boat but it still needs taking into account that it has to be done.
    thats a big price for an s34, boats.co.uk have got one for sale at £67K https://www.theyachtmarket.com/boats_for_sale/1706108/

Without knowing the details of the issues I donít know how people can suggest prices. Both could range from a loose wire to total replacement

Why did others drop out ? Boats.co.uk have a good reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post
    Without knowing the details of the issues I don’t know how people can suggest prices. Both could range from a loose wire to total replacement

Why did others drop out ? Boats.co.uk have a good reputation.
    Fire extinguishers - best case is a quick weigh and sign off so £100 as above. Worst case; three new Seafire extinguishers (for engine bay, bow thruster compartment and fuel tank) you're not gonna get much change out of £2k including removal and re-fitting.

Apologies I dont know what a S34 should sell for so cant offer an opinion whether you should ask for a price drop based on defect or if that is already been factored in on the sell price. But it does make me wonder as I have had my own boat revalued for insurance after an extensive refit over the last couple years. I never set the value, the insurance supplied (recommended at least) surveyor did and so I am presuming it was a fair valuation and what I would sell the boat for warts and all without negotiation other than to further the sale. Who valued the boat, the S34, in this instance and is it valid opinion of worth? I confess that given the engine model in it, it does not sound like it's a newish model and the price you are paying to me seems wildly optimistic. Just as a comparison I'm guessing my boat is of similar age with early KADs (rebuilt by dealer in 2010) and with the refit has been marked as an "excellent example", is also a 34 foot sports cruiser, has a good if not excellent market reputation and comes with enough service history and paperwork to cover 3 large lever-arch files. Value 40k. Why on earth would you want to spend twice that for at best a like for like boat? I understand the price is market driven but that's the crux of it. It's not a real value of worth, at least imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Boat2016 View Post
    I would either ask broker to arrange repairs of the items not working or get estimates to fix and base your offer on that, thereís nothing too serious on that list, knocking a third off will probably be seen as nothing more than an insult.
    You are buying a boat not proposing marriage. Insult away
    Free supercharging Tesla referral code http://ts.la/jez9763

Quote Originally Posted by kashurst View Post
    thats a big price for an s34, boats.co.uk have got one for sale at £67K https://www.theyachtmarket.com/boats_for_sale/1706108/
    Yes, but it is an older model with questionable cockpit upholstery and old electronics. Overall, the cockpit doesnt look so sharp and on this type of boat that is where you spend a lot of time and it is the first thing you see when going aboard.

S34 prices vary quite a bit depending upon age and version - having bought one last year I am fairly familiar with the market for them and ultimately I would say you get what you pay for. I have never been shy of making offers but these boats generally sell well so the suggestion on here of a 25%-40% price reduction are a little off the mark IMHO.

I would be interested to know why a previous purchaser walked away - none of the items listed are really show-stoppers so is there something else that hasn't been disclosed? That said, we walked away from one after survey last year and it was a combination of factors which taken together that meant we just weren’t happy, but none were necessarily insurmountable if the deal had been right and we had been prepared to take them on.
    Last edited by Greg2; 16-05-19 at 09:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitelighter View Post
    You are buying a boat not proposing marriage. Insult away
    Not the way to be taken seriously but each to their own, depends how much you want a boat i guess.

Good price if had Volvo engines but with Mercruiser diesel it does drop the price. Itís been on the market for ages.

Unfortunately there are only a couple for sale in my price range and Iíve looked over them.

yeah but why has it got my nan's living room for a cockpit?
    Free supercharging Tesla referral code http://ts.la/jez9763

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast