Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Default WIndward Boat Keeps Clear?

Hi All

I had a situation the other day where I was close hauled on port tack, with a boat approaching at an approximate right angle from starboard who was reaching on a port tack.

My reading of the situation was that we were both on the same tack and as she was the windward boat she should be the give way vessel. But she stood on, made no alteration to course and we were forced to tack away and then tack back around the back of her onto our original course.

My reading of this is based on rule 12, not on rule 15 ( crossing vessels ). I am right in my analysis?

Thanks
    Someone more informed will come along any minute

Default Re: WIndward Boat Keeps Clear?

Quote Originally Posted by dolabriform View Post
    Hi All

I had a situation the other day where I was close hauled on port tack, with a boat approaching at an approximate right angle from starboard who was reaching on a port tack.
    If you're close hauled on port it isn't possible for a boat to approach you at a right angle from the starboard side which is also on port tack and reaching. That boat would have to be on starboard tack.

Something wrong here. If you were close hauled on port tack and she was approaching from starboard on a reach then she must have been on starboard tack AND you would have been the windward boat.

You did the right thing
    rule 17 (a)(ii) and 2
    edit: assumptions the you both where on the same tack
    Last edited by knuterikt; 16-05-19 at 14:18.

Hi All

Quote Originally Posted by scrambledegg View Post
    If you're close hauled on port it isn't possible for a boat to approach you at a right angle from the starboard side which is also on port tack and reaching. That boat would have to be on starboard tack.
    What he said. The situation you describe is impossible.

Not trying to be condescending, but do you know what it means to be on starboard tack and port tack?

My bad, you're right she couldn't have been on a reach!.. I'm flued up at the moment and foggy

We were definitely both on port tack ( Yes, I do know the difference ) , but the other vessel was probably on a run not a reach.

Additionally, the plotter showed a us at right angle due to us being pushed to port by the tide. The angle between our course headings was not a right angle, wish I could draw a picture right now.

( edit ... To whoever wants to argue about run / reach / whatever... both our sets of flappy things were hanging over the same side of the boat... ergo we were on the same tack ! )
    Last edited by dolabriform; 16-05-19 at 15:23.

Sorry mate it's still not making sense, if he was running on port and you were c/h on port, and approaching you, then he'd have to be be on your port side, and to windward. Not approaching you from starboard side.

?
    Graham. Bavaria 42 Vision, "Scala"

If you were on port tack and she was to starboard of you then she would be on your leeward side. Thus you could not be the stand-on vessel regardless of which tack she was on (either she was on starboard tack or you were the windward boat).

If she was on a run and on a converging course then she must have been on your port side, which would make her the give-way vessel (assuming she was on port tack).

My bad, you're right she couldn't have been on a reach!.. I'm flued up at the moment and foggy

We were definitely both on port tack ( Yes, I do know the difference ) , but the other vessel was probably on a run not a reach.

Additionally, the plotter showed a us at right angle due to us being pushed to port by the tide. The angle between our course headings was not a right angle, wish I could draw a picture right now.

( edit ... To whoever wants to argue about run / reach / whatever... both our sets of flappy things were hanging over the same side of the boat... ergo we were on the same tack ! )
    If you were on port tack he cannot have been approaching you from starboard beam on port tack - to be approaching that way he would have had to be close hauled on starboard tack.

If he was to windward of you and approaching your starboard side then you were on starboard tack

ok .. maybe a pic or two will help describe what I mean?

port tack approack.png

Windward-gives-way.jpg

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast