Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: WIndward Boat Keeps Clear?

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    I agree with the assertion that the tide makes no difference; it just changes the frame of reference.
    Tide affects the two ground tracks differently, for example the track of a boat running downriver won't be affected, while that of a boat close-hauled across the river might change by 45 degrees (putting their tracks at right angles).

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by TLouth7 View Post
    Tide affects the two ground tracks differently, for example the track of a boat running downriver won't be affected, while that of a boat close-hauled across the river might change by 45 degrees (putting their tracks at right angles).
    Yes, but the ground tracks are irrelevant.

I'm scared, gave way to a motor sailer (main only on Stbd me on port) last night involving a tight reach to get around his stern....only to find out he was motoring!
    quicKutter rope cutter, shaft and rudder bearings
    www.h4marine.com

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    Not in Norway, it seems. The first of them is just a gloss on the Rules and the second is good seamanship.
    ok, so rule 17 (a) (i), is to be disregarded when I’m sailing down wind and meet a British yacht.
    I learnt that changing the playbook alone could create confusion.
    Can you give me a link to this rule on RYA web page.
    Or start a campaign to alter the international rules....

Quote Originally Posted by knuterikt View Post
    ok, so rule 17 (a) (i), is to be disregarded when I’m sailing down wind and meet a British yacht.
    Described as courtesy rather than rule if you read the relevant post so no need to change the colregs or consult the RYA. No one is suggesting anything other than complying with those colregs when required.

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    Yes, but the ground tracks are irrelevant.
    They are irrelevant to the situation as it unfolded but relevant to our understanding of it given that OP said:

Quote Originally Posted by dolabriform View Post
    Additionally, the plotter showed a us at right angle due to us being pushed to port by the tide. The angle between our course headings was not a right angle, wish I could draw a picture right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle View Post
    Headsail position is irrelevant.

Starboard boat is stand on vessel.
    Headsail position is indeed irrelevant .... unless both boats are sailing on headsail alone. So far so good, but as discussed in a thread a couple of years ago, if one of the boats has its headsail poled out to windward, then ColRegs is bereft of ideas other than "don't hit each other".

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by knuterikt View Post

“Rule 12
    Sailing vessels
    (a). When two sailing vessels are approaching one another, so as to involve risk of collision, one of them shall keep out of the way of the other as follows:
    (i). when each has the wind on a different side, the vessel which has the wind on the port side shall keep out of the way of the other;
    (ii). when both have the wind on the same side, the vessel which is to windward shall keep out of the way of the vessel which is to leeward;
    (iii). if a vessel with the wind on the port side sees a vessel to windward and cannot determine with certainty whether the other vessel has the wind on the port or on the starboard side, she shall keep out of the way of the other.
    (b). For the purpose of this Rule the windward side shall be deemed to be the side opposite to that on which the mainsail is carried or, in the case of a square-rigged vessel, the side opposite to that on which the largest fore-and-aft sail is carried.”

If the windward yacht, having in mind the burden that (a)(iii) places on the leeward vessel, takes early and substantial action to avoid collision, no risk of collision arises, and Rule 17 does not come into effect.
    Last edited by Minn; 16-05-19 at 17:36.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Headsail position is indeed irrelevant .... unless both boats are sailing on headsail alone. So far so good, but as discussed in a thread a couple of years ago, if one of the boats has its headsail poled out to windward, then ColRegs is bereft of ideas other than "don't hit each other".

Richard
    Yum yum Richard, looking forward to this one!

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post

Richard
    My head hurts. Above my pay grade.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast