Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Knots : Which version of the Halyard hitch is best?

Seems there are two versions of the Halyard hitch.. One has the bitter end go back up through a couple of loops while the other has the bitter end sit below the loops.. Which is the preferred one or is it a "how long is a piece of.... umm... rope" question?

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Default Re: Knots : Which version of the Halyard hitch is best?

Don't know about 'preferred' but I use the one with the tail parallel with the halyard.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by vyv_cox View Post
    Don't know about 'preferred' but I use the one with the tail parallel with the halyard.
    Need to be careful with this as when the halyard gets to the end of it's travel or an obstruction, it is possible through pulling the halyard to poke the bitter end back in the direction from whence it came, loosening the knot.

Might not happen in practice on a halyard hitch, but a reason why some knots need the bitter end to lie in a particular direction - dependent on application.

In this version, the end could be pushed back into the knot if it was regularly pulled into an obstruction ...

In this version not possible ...

Last edited by Baggywrinkle; 16-05-19 at 15:25.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

Quote Originally Posted by vyv_cox View Post
    Me too. It is simply an incomplete fisherman's bend round the standing part. Described in the Selden "Hints and Advice on Rigging and Tuning". When loaded it tightens up hard and won't shake loose.
    'To lay the foundations of an ever closer union among the peoples of Europe' (EC Treaty)

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by Poignard View Post
    Me too. It is simply an incomplete fisherman's bend round the standing part. Described in the Selden "Hints and Advice on Rigging and Tuning". When loaded it tightens up hard and won't shake loose.
    It combines the disadvantages of a splice (you can’t undo it) with the disadvantages of a bend (it greatly weakens the rope).

I fear I am showing my age, but I bought a boat with these abortions on practically everything and I hate them.

When it was time to end-to-end my halyards I used Halyard Hitches. I tried it both ways and decided on bitter end back up through a couple of loops, only because it looked neater and I could put a whipping on the bitter end.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

I don't care what net knots says, I don't think that is a halyard hitch. It is a double overhand noose, AKA poacher's knot.
    https://www.animatedknots.com/halyard-hitch-knot
    https://www.animatedknots.com/poachers-knot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqzJj6lYtj8

I've always been amused by critisism of knots for halyards.
    * They don't jam in the masthead pulley
    * They allow greater hoist because they are shorter than a splice with burry
    * They allow for easy shortening of the halyard for wear
    * They have no bearing on strnegth, since a halyard NEVER breaks at the knot. They are sized for stretch and fail due to chafe.

I'm amused when I see splices used where they provide no actual benefit, other than looking neat.

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Quote Originally Posted by Baggywrinkle View Post
    Need to be careful with this as when the halyard gets to the end of it's travel or an obstruction, it is possible through pulling the halyard to poke the bitter end back in the direction from whence it came, loosening the knot.

Might not happen in practice on a halyard hitch, but a reason why some knots need the bitter end to lie in a particular direction - dependent on application.

In this version, the end could be pushed back into the knot if it was regularly pulled into an obstruction ...

In this version not possible ...

Little chance of poking the end through. I need pliers to undo mine at the end of the season.

In my setup there is plenty of space between the swivel shackle and the diverter so there is no likelihood anyway.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

I just use bowlines on halyards. I realise I’ll burn in the seventh pit of hell for that, but I’ve never had one come undone.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

I’m not the brightest but why is it better to use this knot round a shackle, rather than a bowline straight through the cringle? The length needed for the bowline is no more and may be less, and the bowline comes undone when you want it to. What, apart from one more thing to fail, slightly more weight where you don’t want it, a more brutally unfair distortion of the rope and the enrichment of chandlers, does the shackle do?

For belt and braces, on a main halyard, seize the tail to the standing part.
    Last edited by Minn; 17-05-19 at 09:52.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast