Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    8,509

    Default New Met Office Forecast Terminology

    New words not seen before in the Inshore Waters 'General Situation' section.

    "A flabby area of low pressure over southern europe...."

    "...eastern coasts becoming very murky during Saturday and Sunday."

    Gosport NCI - Call us on Ch 65 for a radio check if passing.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,361

    Default Re: New Met Office Forecast Terminology

    So, they capitalise the UK, days of the week, but not Europe or specific coastlines

    "A flabby area of low pressure over southern europe will drift slowly northwards, bringing changeable conditions to the United Kingdom during the next few days, with eastern coasts becoming very murky during Saturday and Sunday"
    Last edited by dom; 17-05-19 at 07:36.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    2,660

    Default Re: New Met Office Forecast Terminology

    Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    So, they capitalise the UK, days of the week, but not Europe or specific coastlines

    "A flabby area of low pressure over southern europe will drift slowly northwards, bringing changeable conditions to the United Kingdom during the next few days, with eastern coasts becoming very murky during Saturday and Sunday"
    I don't understand why the BBC offers "weather forecasts" when we really get "conditions forecasts".

    Mike.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Me - Zumerzet Boat - Wareham
    Posts
    12,052

    Default Re: New Met Office Forecast Terminology

    Strange that it doesn't appear like that in the Inshore waters forecast and strong winds -

    General situation

    The flow over British Isles will be influenced by a large area of low pressure currently over the balearics. This will slowly drift north to lie over France tomorrow. Rain or showers are likely in many places, with an increasing risk of fog in some northeastern parts.

    https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather...aters-forecast
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    8,509

    Default Re: New Met Office Forecast Terminology

    Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    Strange that it doesn't appear like that in the Inshore waters forecast and strong winds -

    General situation

    The flow over British Isles will be influenced by a large area of low pressure currently over the balearics. This will slowly drift north to lie over France tomorrow. Rain or showers are likely in many places, with an increasing risk of fog in some northeastern parts.

    https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather...aters-forecast
    The comment regarding a "flabby area of low pressure..." was exactly what was given out on your link but for the 07:00 (GMT +1) forecast whereas yours alluded to the 13:00 (GMT +1) forecast. Shame they are still having trouble with capital letters and couldn't capitilise the 'b' in "balearics" though!
    Gosport NCI - Call us on Ch 65 for a radio check if passing.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,130

    Default Re: New Met Office Forecast Terminology

    I saw that too and had a wee chuckle to myself.

    Next it could be a mildly obese flurry of rain will be coming in from the north. Or perhaps a there will be chubby area of low pressure galloping it's way in from the west!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    22,015

    Default Re: New Met Office Forecast Terminology

    I think that you must have encountered a slack area of low education.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Me - Zumerzet Boat - Wareham
    Posts
    12,052

    Default Re: New Met Office Forecast Terminology

    Quote Originally Posted by Giblets View Post
    The comment regarding a "flabby area of low pressure..." was exactly what was given out on your link but for the 07:00 (GMT +1) forecast whereas yours alluded to the 13:00 (GMT +1) forecast.
    Sorry, I wasn't up that early
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    658

    Default Re: New Met Office Forecast Terminology

    ”It'll be dry in Rye, cool in Goole, choking in Woking and if you live in Lissingdown, carry an umbrella!" The Two Ronnie's.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    8,509

    Default Re: New Met Office Forecast Terminology

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Dorrit View Post
    ”It'll be dry in Rye, cool in Goole, choking in Woking and if you live in Lissingdown, carry an umbrella!" The Two Ronnie's.
    Gosport NCI - Call us on Ch 65 for a radio check if passing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to