Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: A typical day out.

Quote Originally Posted by kashurst View Post
    we have 2 dogs -a westie and a cockapoo. The westie loves the boat, the cockapoo is a bit nervous if it gets a bit lumpy. So when looking for latest boat (a flybridge ) one of the criteria was a bench style helm seat so the dog(s) if they want can sit next to me (the westie likes to drive).
    Typical day out - depending on destination; 10 - 15 mins fast cruise maybe up to 2 hours fast cruise with probably another hour in total getting in and out of harbours and or picking up buoys or just going slow to admire the view. My boat is @ 38' and burns about 85 litres an hour at 18 knots (not the most economical 38' flybridge). Overall my most expensive single annual cost is probably mooring.

Fuel costs vary year to year depending on use. We tend to do a 2 or 3 longish 100 - 200 miles journeys in the summer spread over 4 - 8 days. The rest 10 -30 mile day out trips. So I use man maths to calculate fuel cost per day per person on board and then it doesn't seem quite so crazy.

If you buy a new(ish) boat the most expensive cost by far will be depreciation. So beware of getting drawn into a super new shiny boat with outlandish fuel efficiency. It may well be more economical but when you sell it the fuel saving will be nothing compared to the depreciation.
    Thanks Kashurst.Im savvy with money, I wouldn't buy brand new, but neither do I want something that's been really used either.Love the idea of the dog sitting next to me, so that's another thing I will need then a double seat at the helm. !

I have a Labrador (not ideal for getting back onboard) so was interested to read about doggy docks and came across this advert :-) I presume no dogs were harmed in the 1st minute's worth, very 80's video !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dUe0dGH8oY

Quote Originally Posted by s50cam View Post
    I have a Labrador (not ideal for getting back onboard) so was interested to read about doggy docks and came across this advert :-) I presume no dogs were harmed in the 1st minute's worth, very 80's video !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dUe0dGH8oY

Its brilliant isnt it, im quite certain i will have that before the actual boat lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Nosealegsyet View Post
    Ive got a life jacket for my dog. She didn't mind wearing it either!
    lifejacket good for dogs as they have handles to haul them out.
    Keep the lifejacket in the car not on the boat!
    Also when you dinghy ashore, they know that the lifejacket means "no swimming". When nearing the shore, off comes the jacket, in goes the dog.
    Last edited by Elessar; 21-05-19 at 15:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    lifejacket good for dogs as they have handles to haul them out.
    Keep the lifejacket in the car not on the boat!
    Also when you dinghy ashore, they know that the lifejacket means "no swimming". When nearing the shore, off comes the jacket, in goes the dog.
    Ive got her her life jackets, we tested it the other week, no issues at all, thankgod

Ive got her her life jackets, we tested it the other week, no issues at all, thankgod
    also, don't let the dog swim if there are seals about.

They will kill a dog if they see them by dragging them to the bottom.

Would you mind sharing with me what would be your typical day out, or overnight stay would be in your motor cruiser? How much fuel would you of used, and any other costs incurred? Thanks
    Its a huge question but there is no typical weekend.

Weekends include:

Fixing the boat.
    Cleaning the boat.
    Whatsapping friends with the message "sun - boat!" and a random collection turn up with beer.
    Sitting at anchor with the barbecue, swimming and fooling in the dinghy.
    Using the boat as a taxi to the pub.
    Fixing the boat.
    Cleaning the boat.
    Meeting up with a load of other people from this forum. Some are not as bad as they seem on here.
    Going shopping in gunwharf quays.
    Going to France (though not with pooch sadly)
    Going to the channel islands.
    The list goes on.

In some marinas you get reciprocal berthing in ones of the same chain. eg in MDL i can just go to the hamble for the weekend with no cost. Its typically £40-50 for the overnight for my 40 ft boat if i have to pay. Lunch stop typically a tenner or so. Anchoring (except in the Beauliau) is free though.

Dont worry about fuel. Just stick your fingers in your ears and give the man your card.

A big cost is maintenance. If you are handy and can do a lot yourself that is a paradigm shift in cost compared with getting everything done. Are you mechanically and practically minded?

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Its a huge question but there is no typical weekend.

Weekends include:

Fixing the boat.
    Cleaning the boat.
    Whatsapping friends with the message "sun - boat!" and a random collection turn up with beer.
    Sitting at anchor with the barbecue, swimming and fooling in the dinghy.
    Using the boat as a taxi to the pub.
    Fixing the boat.
    Cleaning the boat.
    Meeting up with a load of other people from this forum. Some are not as bad as they seem on here.
    Going shopping in gunwharf quays.
    Going to France (though not with pooch sadly)
    Going to the channel islands.
    The list goes on.

In some marinas you get reciprocal berthing in ones of the same chain. eg in MDL i can just go to the hamble for the weekend with no cost. Its typically £40-50 for the overnight for my 40 ft boat if i have to pay. Lunch stop typically a tenner or so. Anchoring (except in the Beauliau) is free though.

Dont worry about fuel. Just stick your fingers in your ears and give the man your card.

A big cost is maintenance. If you are handy and can do a lot yourself that is a paradigm shift in cost compared with getting everything done. Are you mechanically and practically minded?
    Certainly not mechanically no, , I think I will have to pay for anything to be fixed on the boat, im prepared for that, I do want a boat that is as economical as I can find , if there is such a thing!.....lol...What is MDL?

I do want a boat that is as economical as I can find , if there is such a thing!
    Perhaps you haven't heard
    B.O.A.T.= Break Out Another Thousand

I use both of these

The floating one (with mine the tubes are yellow, so its easier for the dog to see) is quite large, so think about on boat storage and pumping it up as well as remembering how to assemble it. I put non slip strips on the doggy dock platform to give better grip for wet paws.
    The other is very small and storage is easy, it attaches (with straps) to most swim ladders and attaches to a rung that is below the surface
    There are many other systems and if you are good at DIY it’s easy to make one (lots of plans online)
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast