Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: A typical day out.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynG View Post
    Sitting on the boat right now. Set off yesterday after work and now on a 4 day weekend break. It was an early start this morning as we are on the tidal river.
    Travelled about 25 miles today at 6 knots and two locks.
    Lunch was on board so minimal cost.
    Dinner will be at the pub near where we are moored.
    We are moving tomorrow another 2 hours. That will include a fast run for half an hour.
    Diesel used ? I think the 4 day weekend will cost about £100.
    We will have no visitor mooring costs on this trip.
    Other costs such as marina fees, river license, insurance, various other expenses are all fixed . It makes no sense to own a boat and not use it.
    Thankyou.

Quote Originally Posted by colhel View Post
    i'll start then
    For me (us) a typical day on the boat would involve us having breakfast on board, a walk to the local shops and seafront, meeting up with friends that we made in our home marina (East Cowes) , lunch somewhere, meet up with friends for dinner, then bed. zero fuel used.
    Other more adventurous types will hopefully now come along and share their experiences.
    sounds perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Nosealegsyet View Post
    Yes it does help a great deal, very informative thankyou, The marina fees is that the fee for the places you are visiting? Do you have to prebook the marinas? Is there a check in and check out time like a hotel? Sorry for all the daft questions, but I have zero knowledge.
    Yes that is for the places we visit. Summer weekends can be a nightmare to find a berth, but for my size boat they can normally fit me in. I do book ahead occasionally but depends if you are sure about the weather as some marinas will charge upfront with no refund if you can't make due to weather. Yarmouth I have found to be the worse and you have book weeks in advance to get a berth, so I avoid that place at the weekend or just chance it. Marinas expect you to leave by say 12:00, but not the ones that are tide restricted suchas Bembridge, island Harbour. If you want stay a few hours longer I just ask and normally not an issue especially if they know you.

Quote Originally Posted by Scubadoo View Post
    Yes that is for the places we visit. Summer weekends can be a nightmare to find a berth, but for my size boat they can normally fit me in. I do book ahead occasionally but depends if you are sure about the weather as some marinas will charge upfront with no refund if you can't make due to weather. Yarmouth I have found to be the worse and you have book weeks in advance to get a berth, so I avoid that place at the weekend or just chance it. Marinas expect you to leave by say 12:00, but not the ones that are tide restricted suchas Bembridge, island Harbour. If you want stay a few hours longer I just ask and normally not an issue especially if they know you.
    thankyou-Is there a directory or something that would have a list of marina's or where you could moor the boat etc?

Thanks Bouba, im not worried about cost, but im a business woman, and I have to know the ins and outs of everything lol!I have a dog too, a cockapoo, and that was going to be one of my next questions ...Ö... is it the done thing to take your dog on board, or is it something that other boat users would frown upon? Is it safe ? Do you take any other precautions with your dog on board to make sure the animal is as safe as she can be.?
    I carry three sizes of doggy life jackets in case my dog invites his friends onboard. You must have a way of getting your dog back onboard after a swim. If heís little he can be lifted up if heís wearing a harness, but dogs panic if they canít get their back legs on something solid. So I have a doggydock which is a floating thing that you tie on the back of your boat that a dog can swim on and walk off onto the boat, but they are a little bulky for a small boat. We also have a folding step that goes on the swim ladder just below the surface of the water and the dog can scramble aboard. The down side is that it makes it a little bit awkward to use the swim ladder for yourself.
    Have doggy bowls that are stable and easy to see so people donít keep kicking them. Donít take them out in rough weather because it scares them unless they have really good sealegs. Many dogs are as happy as Larry running down the dock then they come to a sudden halt and turn an run as soon as they see the boat. Rub their ears if they feel seasick (I learnt this from when we had two dogs and they would constantly lick each otherís ear when onboard). They also like a favorite place (often with the captain) but have difficulty jumping on a boat bed because sometimes they are quite high.
    Remember a dog needs lots of toilet walks but do take him with you as boating is for the whole family.
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post
    I carry three sizes of doggy life jackets in case my dog invites his friends onboard. You must have a way of getting your dog back onboard after a swim. If he’s little he can be lifted up if he’s wearing a harness, but dogs panic if they can’t get their back legs on something solid. So I have a doggydock which is a floating thing that you tie on the back of your boat that a dog can swim on and walk off onto the boat, but they are a little bulky for a small boat. We also have a folding step that goes on the swim ladder just below the surface of the water and the dog can scramble aboard. The down side is that it makes it a little bit awkward to use the swim ladder for yourself.
    Have doggy bowls that are stable and easy to see so people don’t keep kicking them. Don’t take them out in rough weather because it scares them unless they have really good sealegs. Many dogs are as happy as Larry running down the dock then they come to a sudden halt and turn an run as soon as they see the boat. Rub their ears if they feel seasick (I learnt this from when we had two dogs and they would constantly lick each other’s ear when onboard). They also like a favorite place (often with the captain) but have difficulty jumping on a boat bed because sometimes they are quite high.
    Remember a dog needs lots of toilet walks but do take him with you as boating is for the whole family.
    Brilliant, ill be getting the doggy dock before my boat lol!... I would always want her with me, she comes everywhere with me ….thankyou

Brilliant, ill be getting the doggy dock before my boat lol!... I would always want her with me, she comes everywhere with me ….thankyou
    Lots of towels and pegs to dry them
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

thankyou-Is there a directory or something that would have a list of marina's or where you could moor the boat etc?
    Yes there is a "marina directory" Reeds Almanac is released every year with lots of information abouts tides, marinas across the UK etc. There is also a small boat version too which is easier to carry but has less information. I would buy the full edition first time around and then the smaller version each year.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reeds-Nauti.../dp/1472957628

Quote Originally Posted by Scubadoo View Post
    Yes there is a "marina directory" Reeds Almanac is released every year with lots of information abouts tides, marinas across the UK etc. There is also a small boat version too which is easier to carry but has less information. I would buy the full edition first time around and then the smaller version each year.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reeds-Nauti.../dp/1472957628
    Thanks, just bought it!

we have 2 dogs -a westie and a cockapoo. The westie loves the boat, the cockapoo is a bit nervous if it gets a bit lumpy. So when looking for latest boat (a flybridge ) one of the criteria was a bench style helm seat so the dog(s) if they want can sit next to me (the westie likes to drive).
    Typical day out - depending on destination; 10 - 15 mins fast cruise maybe up to 2 hours fast cruise with probably another hour in total getting in and out of harbours and or picking up buoys or just going slow to admire the view. My boat is @ 38' and burns about 85 litres an hour at 18 knots (not the most economical 38' flybridge). Overall my most expensive single annual cost is probably mooring.

Fuel costs vary year to year depending on use. We tend to do a 2 or 3 longish 100 - 200 miles journeys in the summer spread over 4 - 8 days. The rest 10 -30 mile day out trips. So I use man maths to calculate fuel cost per day per person on board and then it doesn't seem quite so crazy.

If you buy a new(ish) boat the most expensive cost by far will be depreciation. So beware of getting drawn into a super new shiny boat with outlandish fuel efficiency. It may well be more economical but when you sell it the fuel saving will be nothing compared to the depreciation.
    Last edited by kashurst; 17-05-19 at 20:06.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast