Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    west yorkshire
    Posts
    3,621

    Default Re: Is there a 'rightmove' for boats?

    topboats.com

    boats are not at all like cars. a twenty year old boat could well be a much better boat than a 5 year old one. It depends on the particular boat and boat builder.
    wooden boats - don't go there unless you are a boat builder/insane/forumite known as Vas :-)
    fibreglass boats last forever - literally! (unless they have balsa corded hulls - need careful checking)
    interior furnishings easy to change, navigation stuff easy to change

    boat hull type: displacement (slow but steady, not fast but very cheap to run if you have plenty of time)
    semi displacement (steady but can do fast but thirsty- however a lovely ride)
    planing (best going fast, over 16 - 20 knots or more, planing boats can do slow very well if it's calm)

    engines - older engine designs are simpler and less stressed, usually easy to fix
    new engines - super clever, but complex and tend to be more highly stressed these days

    drives system
    shafts - Noah's Ark had shaft drive,probably with a volvo tamd41 engine - it will still be going fine when the sun burns out
    shafts are simple, reliable, easy to maintain, rarely fail, but not as fuel efficient as an outdrive.
    outdrives - more fuel efficient, great fun to drive, complex, expensive if they fail (see numerous outdrive threads)
    IPS drives- claimed to be more fuel efficient, very complex, 2nd mortgage if one goes bang - however they are getting more popular and better understood by mechanics.

    what ever you start looking at condition/maintenance is everything. Better to buy a great condition but older, simpler, boat, than a newer high tech unloved one.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Worthing West Sussex
    Posts
    122

    Default Re: Is there a 'rightmove' for boats?

    Quote Originally Posted by kashurst View Post
    topboats.com

    boats are not at all like cars. a twenty year old boat could well be a much better boat than a 5 year old one. It depends on the particular boat and boat builder.
    wooden boats - don't go there unless you are a boat builder/insane/forumite known as Vas :-)
    fibreglass boats last forever - literally! (unless they have balsa corded hulls - need careful checking)
    interior furnishings easy to change, navigation stuff easy to change

    boat hull type: displacement (slow but steady, not fast but very cheap to run if you have plenty of time)
    semi displacement (steady but can do fast but thirsty- however a lovely ride)
    planing (best going fast, over 16 - 20 knots or more, planing boats can do slow very well if it's calm)

    engines - older engine designs are simpler and less stressed, usually easy to fix
    new engines - super clever, but complex and tend to be more highly stressed these days

    drives system
    shafts - Noah's Ark had shaft drive,probably with a volvo tamd41 engine - it will still be going fine when the sun burns out
    shafts are simple, reliable, easy to maintain, rarely fail, but not as fuel efficient as an outdrive.
    outdrives - more fuel efficient, great fun to drive, complex, expensive if they fail (see numerous outdrive threads)
    IPS drives- claimed to be more fuel efficient, very complex, 2nd mortgage if one goes bang - however they are getting more popular and better understood by mechanics.

    what ever you start looking at condition/maintenance is everything. Better to buy a great condition but older, simpler, boat, than a newer high tech unloved one.
    thankyou for your indepth knowledge, omg I have got one hell of a lot to learn, but I will ! thankyou

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Home: Saffron Walden. Boat: Chichester
    Posts
    2,263

    Default Re: Is there a 'rightmove' for boats?

    Also take a look at The Yacht Market I like that one in preference to Yacht World
    Graham. Bavaria 42 Vision, "Scala"

  4. #14
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Worthing West Sussex
    Posts
    122

    Default Re: Is there a 'rightmove' for boats?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scala View Post
    Also take a look at The Yacht Market I like that one in preference to Yacht World
    thankyou I will

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Thames & Kennet Marina
    Posts
    132

    Default Re: Is there a 'rightmove' for boats?

    https://www.boatshop24.co.uk/

    Set the filters for the parameters you want

  6. #16
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Worthing West Sussex
    Posts
    122

    Default Re: Is there a 'rightmove' for boats?

    Quote Originally Posted by jct1981 View Post
    https://www.boatshop24.co.uk/

    Set the filters for the parameters you want
    thankyou

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    UK, Greece and Spain
    Posts
    22,791

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Warsash
    Posts
    1,051

    Default Re: Is there a 'rightmove' for boats?


  9. #19
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Worthing West Sussex
    Posts
    122

    Default Re: Is there a 'rightmove' for boats?

    Quote Originally Posted by jordanbasset View Post
    thankyou

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    midlands
    Posts
    7,186

    Default Re: Is there a 'rightmove' for boats?

    No one mentioned Apollo Duck .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to