Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reversing Woes

Default Reversing Woes

Our Hardy has limited rear vision through the canopy which makes reversing into a port hand berth tricky because the steering position is to starboard meaning I have to look over my shoulder, steer and manipulate the sticky throttle at the same time. In the car I have mirrors and lately a camera. Has anyone fitted a reversing cam to a boat?

Default Re: Reversing Woes

Quote Originally Posted by TerryA View Post
    Our Hardy has limited rear vision through the canopy which makes reversing into a port hand berth tricky because the steering position is to starboard meaning I have to look over my shoulder, steer and manipulate the sticky throttle at the same time. In the car I have mirrors and lately a camera. Has anyone fitted a reversing cam to a boat?
    Loads of people. I have one. I don’t find it that useful TBH but sometimes it’s handy.

There are many remotes out there that enable you to control engines, thrusters, IPS etc. We have it, stand anywhere & control the boat, in your case the swim platform.

I docked my s58 once from below when the upper helm was disconnected. Never again ! You have my sympathy. I donít think a camera will help ( I have one )

Good crew is indispensable and bluetooth headsets keep the peace...so Im told. My crew prefer me to be quiet while instructing me how to go about my business

I would forget about a camera, as fixing the sticky throttle would be my first job.

Can you remove the canopy ?
    My reverse camera is indispensable. It can only see the dock and swim platform (not the boat sides) but it means my wife can concentrate on the lines and not have to call out the distance. When it broke down I really missed it even though my boat has great visibility!
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

I have a reverse camera, which is helpful up to a point, primarily to see where the bathing platform is relative to pontoon. I also rely on crew with bluetooth headset.
    With a Nimbus flybridge, I find it easiest to berth fenders starboard from lower helm where I can stand on side deck.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryA View Post
    I have even fixed a forwarding one, mounted on the stern quarter looking forward to cover the side of the boat away from the helm.

More as a toy than anything else (and useless for berthing) but to aid all round visibility from the helm. I'm considering mounting a Virb 360 deg camera at the highest point on the boat, it should link to my plotter screen wirelessly. BTW I'd be reluctant to use wireless/IP cams for berthing as the can have a smaill but significant lag.
    Last edited by Elecglitch; 18-05-19 at 10:55.

Berthed next to a Sealine F43 in St Peter Port last year and skipper had fitted motorcycle mirrors to the rails on the side of the flybridge, although amusing he said they were quiet effective when berthing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast