Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Battery charger died, best replacement?

My boats battery charger has died over winter it was a sterling procharge 50amp 3 outlet unit only about 5 years old so im surprised at it failing so early.
    Need to buy a replacement, best deal I can find is the 60a procharge from cactus for £400 but wondering if their not as robust as others given the early failure?
    Any suggestions for a suitable replacement
    Charging 2 x start batteries of 90a each and 2x leisure batteries linked as 1 bank totaling 270a is the charger working too hard or could I drop in size?

Default Re: Battery charger died, best replacement?

Master volt have served me well.

Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post
    Master volt have served me well.
    A 35amp mastervolt is closer to £500 hence asking if I could afford to drop in size

Last edited by FlowerPower; 17-05-19 at 22:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Beamishken View Post
    My boats battery charger has died over winter it was a sterling procharge 50amp 3 outlet unit only about 5 years old so im surprised at it failing so early.
    Need to buy a replacement, best deal I can find is the 60a procharge from cactus for £400 but wondering if their not as robust as others given the early failure?
    Any suggestions for a suitable replacement
    Charging 2 x start batteries of 90a each and 2x leisure batteries linked as 1 bank totaling 270a is the charger working too hard or could I drop in size?
    How did it die? I have the 60A version and like it a lot for its' features. Only had it about 18 months, so hope it's got more than 5 years in it
    Narrowboating From Stretford!!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard10002 View Post
    How did it die? I have the 60A version and like it a lot for its' features. Only had it about 18 months, so hope it's got more than 5 years in it
    Theres a small component with 6 soldered prongs on the pcb board which you can see is scorched.
    I could have understood if it failed when the boat was in use and maybe got overworked but just keeping the batteries topped up over winter is a bit of a worry
    They do seem to be the cheapest on the market so maybe you get what you pay for

Have a look at mds battery website they are good to deal with https://www.mdsbattery.co.uk/sterling_chargers.html

I must be missing something big here. I dont understand.
    I have 2x2 batterys in series, 1 lot for unessential bits and 1 lot for starter and main nav lights.
    I have 2 solar chargers on the roof, and obviously the alternator charing system.
    Ive only ever used a cheapo voltage sensitive relay between the chargers and batteries so that the load is spread to the lowest voltage first to top them all off.
    I use something like this at £20 a pop and make sure its not going to get wet. Its a bog standard auto relay whih will take a certain amount of moisture and aalt due to the road conditions. I put it in a tupperware box or junction box with a bag of silica and it will last years before needing to be replaced.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Volta...7-33dbcd2f543b

Admittedly i have a small 22ft boat with considerably less load than a super yacht running fridges tvs and the like would have, but surely this is scaled up to meet your demands without an eyewatering £500 price tag?
    Or are we talking about shore to ship charging? In which case wouldnt a normal automative charger also work fine? Provided you have the right plug converter for it.
    What am i missing?
    Last edited by Lutefiskgeorge; 18-05-19 at 11:07. Reason: Mistake

A modern marine charger does a bit more than that.
    It has different charge profiles optimised for different types of battery, fast at the start, slower to top off, monitoring each output separately, then it keeps them topped off in cycles.
    Some also have a "very fast charge" de-sulphation cycle for vented batteries.

Even my boat has five batteries to charge ...

Last edited by FlowerPower; 18-05-19 at 11:34.

Flowerpower, thanks for the reply. Makes sense i suppose. Although i do have a similar car battery charger that deals with those situations. But only for 1 battery not a few at the same time.

You live and learn!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast