Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Battery charger died, best replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by Beamishken View Post
    Quite a significant difference in appearance and price this is the 30a blue power
    https://www.es-store.co.uk/product_d...1&show_menu=40

This is the 30a centaur

https://www.es-store.co.uk/product_l...0&show_menu=21
    The Centaur is a totally different charger, when I got mine it was the bluesmart and was identical to look at with or without Bluetooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Boat2016 View Post
    The Centaur is a totally different charger, when I got mine it was the bluesmart and was identical to look at with or without Bluetooth.
    What sort of demand do you have on yours? the centaur looks more industrial with a significantly higher price tag and I dont want to be in the same position in a few years time if i go for the cheaper bluesmart option
    On the other hand it wont get heavily used so I dont want to waste money by overspecing it

Quote Originally Posted by Beamishken View Post
    What sort of demand do you have on yours? the centaur looks more industrial with a significantly higher price tag and I dont want to be in the same position in a few years time if i go for the cheaper bluesmart option
    On the other hand it wont get heavily used so I dont want to waste money by overspecing it
    I just had the usual lights, fridge, heater etc and single D4 (boat was an NC9) and charger kept up with demand ok.

It is worth noting that the battery charger will not work if the batteries are below 10V. The charger itself needs power from the batteries for its electrickery wizardry stuff. Just plugging it into the mains will not work if the batteries are discharged too far.
    My boat is for sale - ask me if interested.

I have just upgraded to 720A/h batteries, and use a new Mastervolt 25A/h charger which works perfectly.

The 35A/h version will easily do what you require...

Bear in mind that Charging from flat would be 28 hours. They won’t be flat but also charging is not linear.

Add in discharge from lights, fridges etc when on shore power ( I am drawing 20 amps at this very moment and there are no lights on ) and you have a long long time to charge.

Thanks everyone for the input, I rang Sterling today to see if they offered a repair service which in theory they do and I could send the unit for assessment BUT the chap explained that most units are uneconomic to repair and most times they just offer a 25% discount.
    The guy wasnt even fazed when I said due to the early demise of this unit & no real repair option that I'd go with another manufacturer.
    So ordered a New Victron unit but went for the less complex and more expensive Centaur which hopefully is more durable just over £300 for a 30a 3 outlet unit from ASAP supplies which should be ok for our needs
    Fingers crossed

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123