Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Diesel Disposal following tank cleaning?

Just spent a couple of days cleaning my tanks and installing inspection hatches. The majority of the fuel has been filtered and ready to go back in. However I now have a small quantity of contaminated diesel (25 lites) that I need to dispose of. Universal Marina no longer have any facilities for waste oil and my local recycling centre will not accept fuel oil etc. Checking the local Hants Gov website they direct you to commercial waste companies who appear to only be interested in volume.

Are there any local facilities or companies on the Hamble who accept waste diesel?

Regards.

Default Re: Diesel Disposal following tank cleaning?

It’s quite simple. When you next have to pass though a vile ships bilge wake then let your tiny bit join it.

Pour into old engine oil 5 litre containers. Take to council tip. Pour into waste oil drum. No-one any the wiser and 25 litres will make no difference anyway.

Your local vehicle service operator, garage, would need to dispose of the spent oil - I'd suggest you have a quiet word next time you need to book a service. Similar businesses, lawn mowers, outboards all need to somehow get 'rid' of fuel, accepting it is normally petrol. Any of the diesel service mechanics at your local boatyard, just seen you obviously do not have a local diesel mechanic - there must be one someone where nearby and they must have the same issues as every time they change a filter they 'produce' 0.25l of diesel - which will add up if they run a decent business.

Lots of options.

Jonathan

Browdon motors off Shirley high street have a waste oil boiler that heats the garage. I'm sure they would take it.

Or tale it 5ltrs at a time to the dump at Netley.

allow to stand to sediment out, put in 25 ltr drum add a good amount of marine 16, shake vigorously. Allow to stand again for a week. pour off and filter back into tank, through microfiber cloth in funnel. Very little waste this way.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by stevie69p View Post
    Pour into old engine oil 5 litre containers. Take to council tip. Pour into waste oil drum. No-one any the wiser and 25 litres will make no difference anyway.
    Especially if it is spread over a few weeks.

This is not joined up thinking by local government ! Here is Somerset, we have small tanks for petrol and diesel, yet Hampshire refuses to accept fuel.

Local garages have contracts with waste oil collection companies, and as suggested above you might have to take the can to a friendly garage.

Alternatively, if it not too badly contaminated, someone with an old unsophisticated tractor might take it from you.
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Run it in the car / van etc. 2 litres to a tankful should be ok.

As long it is not RED.

If you leave it to settle for some days, you can probably rack a fair amount of clear diesel off the top. Let that settle, I used PE plastic milk bottles, then filter most of it back into the tank. The sediment goes in with old sump oil to the dump, where the collection tank is normally catching a fair bit of rain anyway.
    If you can leave the crud long enough, it may settle out some more. I left a load of it in milk bottles behind the shed, weeks later it was three layers. Water, black gunge, diesel.

I don't use any additives, which may prevent the water settling out.
    I tend to keep a small amount of dirty diesel around for cleaning very greasy mechanical parts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast