Thread: 2YM15 v Beta 14

Default 2YM15 v Beta 14

Hello,

I have a 27 foot yacht and am looking to replace the ageing 1GM10. After searching though the various threads on here it looks like the Beta 14 is the winner.
    My question is that I’ve been impressed with Yanmar’s build and service after owning a few and want to know if the 2YM15 is a ‘better’ engine than the Beta.
    Also the Yanmar is over 10kg heavier than the Beta, anyone know why?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: 2YM15 v Beta 14

Quote Originally Posted by Gixer View Post
    Hello,
    My question is that I’ve been impressed with Yanmar’s build and service after owning a few and want to know if the 2YM15 is a ‘better’ engine than the Beta.
    Also the Yanmar is over 10kg heavier than the Beta, anyone know why?
    I don't think that's a question that can be sensibly answered. Both are very good products and will give 1000's of hours service if properly looked after.
    The Yanmar has greater swept volume which might account for some weight. Personally, for a smallish boat, I'd favour the lighter engine.
    Also, as a Beta owner, I've found spares fairly reasonably priced whereas Yanmar can be pricey.
    NB, the Yanmar with 'box is 23kg heavier.

I can't answer your query directly, but offer my experience from 3 years ago.
    I had a Yanmar 2 GM for many years and was happy with it, but it started to run rough and after several mis-diagnosis the concensus was a corroded cylinder head. The cost of Yanmar spares made it [incredibly] uneconomical to repair quickly so it was replaced with a Beta 20, mainly on price but it also fitted the existing space better. Much smoother [3 cylinder] more power and lighter. Beta are excellent people to deal with if you need to ask for basic advice, they are very patient.
    I've not had to buy any major spares yet but it would be worth comparing the cost and availability of parts.
    I'm sure that both engines are excellent and you will be surprised at how smoothand quiet they are after the thump thump of a 1GM.

Thank you for the swift reply’s. It seems to be a no brainer to go for the Beta, I guess I just want to be sure I’m not missing something before pulling the trigger.
    After having Yanmar for so many years I feel a loyalty to the brand... daft really.