Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Studland -> Lymington: Best Route at Springs

I'm planning on sailing from Studland to Lymington on Monday morning (20/5) and note that its Springs. I would normally choose my route based on wind direction so that I can maximise sailing. Windguru reckons a North Westerly so in theory I could sail both the Needles and North channels.

I've never done the North channel at Springs and know it can get messy at the best of times times so I assume its worse at Springs.

I'm aiming to get to Hurst Point about 11am (1.5 hours before slack) so there's still about 2.5kn (I suspect it will be faster) in the North Channel according to the tidal atlas. I'm aiming at 1.5 hours in case I'm slower than planned and don't want to miss the tidal gate.

Unless the wind shifts significantly I'll probably use the Needles channel, but I was wondering if I've missed anything?
    Adventure before dementia

Default Re: Studland -> Lymington: Best Route at Springs

north channel easy and choppy bits are common to both needles and north channel. On a rising tide near local hw you can even cut inside n head buoy if you want. look out for 'black can man's' prop/rudder traps on the channel entrance.
    Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and without any warranty!

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    north channel easy and choppy bits are common to both needles and north channel. On a rising tide near local hw you can even cut inside n head buoy if you want. look out for 'black can man's' prop/rudder traps on the channel entrance.
    Being single handed I tend to be very cautious when it comes to cutting inside buoys. Trying to keep an eye on the iPad chart and watch out for prop/rudder traps in a channel is too stressful. Although unless something has gone wrong the prop won't be spinning.

If the wind is strong avoid the Needles channel. Leave after lw (possibly around 0530) and you should have the flood until around 1130 ish. Don't get to close to Hurst beach as you could end up in back eddies against you if tide is still flooding. As Robin has said keep an eye open for pot markers and north head buoy you can go either side.

Depending on the model wind is gusting up to 15kn, I'll make the call on Monday morning but its sounding like the North channel should be the 1st choice.

Watch out for left-right cross tide as you go into Lymington as far as the wavebreak/LYH area, very easy to get pushed into shallows although Venetia is shallow draught which helps.
    Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and without any warranty!

The wind seems to be forecast up to F4 Max Northerly or light NW for Sun and Mon.
    No reason not to just carry the tide up the Needles Channel in any reasonbly seaworthy boat.
    So long as you avoid strong wind over tide situations, I think the Needles is far more pleasant than the N Channel, which involves getting way too close to the Suburbs of Bournemouth for too long IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonFa View Post
    Being single handed I tend to be very cautious when it comes to cutting inside buoys. Trying to keep an eye on the iPad chart and watch out for prop/rudder traps in a channel is too stressful.
    Looking at the chart before you leave should alleviate any fear of leaving north head to port in settled weather at more than half tide. No monitoring an iPad required if you jot down a safe angle on NE shingles (or hurst if you can't pick it out) after North head is less than say 10 degrees.

The problem with that dogleg round north head with wind from the WNW (as we had when I made this trip with a friend a couple weeks ago) is you could end up doing 2 gybes you don't really need.

On the other hand the tide seems to run harder north of north head so wind aside, some of the extra time you think you're taking will be made back by the extra push.

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    The wind seems to be forecast up to F4 Max Northerly or light NW for Sun and Mon.
    No reason not to just carry the tide up the Needles Channel in any reasonbly seaworthy boat.
    So long as you avoid strong wind over tide situations, I think the Needles is far more pleasant than the N Channel, which involves getting way too close to the Suburbs of Bournemouth for too long IMHO.
    Unless you wear blinkers on port side there is no difference in the view on either track unless you are3 thinking of the track between the shortcut from Poole entrance rather than from Poole Bar/number 3 buoy or Studland.

PS if light northerlies expected most likely there will be calm or light southerly sea breezes in place by late morning,
    Last edited by Robin; 18-05-19 at 12:06.

North Head doesn't really mark anything in particular any more:

In fact, the whole bank west of the North Channel shows a least depth of more than three metres, so on a calm day you could scoot across any point of it at dead low-water springs. Add a bit of tide and you're laughing.

I do still tend to head up towards the northern end of things because the banks around there do move a bit and there's no point tempting fate, but it's definitely not the case that you're taking a risk by passing vaguely near North Head on the "wrong" side.

Pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast