Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best treatment or protection for pitted chrome on winch?

I recently bought a cheap 'n' cheerful self tailing Lewmar winch on eBay. I've serviced it and it works well but there is light pitting to the chrome on it. I was aware of this when I bid and won, so no issue with the seller etc.

My question is is there a way to slow down the pitting? Does polishing it help or worsen things? I used to use Autosol for car chrome work, is this still the stuff to use? Also, will a winch cover help when boat is not in use? Any other tips would be gratefully received. As I say it functions perfectly, and its going on a MAB so I'm not too fussed about appearance. Pitting is currently minor, in that you have to be pretty close up to see it.

Default Re: Best treatment or protection for pitted chrome on winch?

The proper thing to do is get it rechromed.

I own a classic BMW R100/7 and still uses Solvol Autosol on the chrome bits. Some are as you describe and have got no worse over the years, so it works from that perspective. Not sure what Autosol would do for the friction, probably not much. Give it a go.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    ...by someone who understands winches. Others have been known to polish out the knurling/grip finish on the drum.
    All epigrams are false

Sorry, should have clarified- the ‘grippy’ bit of drum is fine, no pitting there, it’s just the base that’s effected.

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post

The proper thing to do would be for me to stop being cheap and just buy a new winch! Alas, funds do not allow for that. Anyone know what it costs to re-chrome a winch base? It’s a Lewmar 16 if that makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by macd View Post
    ...by someone who understands winches. Others have been known to polish out the knurling/grip finish on the drum.
    Many capstans and some sheet winches are smooth because the grip comes from the wraps.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

Quote Originally Posted by BlowingOldBoots View Post
    Many capstans and some sheet winches are smooth because the grip comes from the wraps.
    That may be so but this happened to a friend of mine, fortunately without affecting the function noticeably, but it is not satisfactory. My friend's new chrome has also fallen off too. My own winches are not perfect but with polishing once or twice a year they mostly look quite good.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Sand flat, coat with epoxy resin, fill pits and then paint with two pack. Waste of money re-chroming as chrome is not suitable for boats due to it's rapid corrosion.
    Brexit: Taking back our freedom as a sovereign nation.

Quote Originally Posted by PCUK View Post
    Sand flat, coat with epoxy resin, fill pits and then paint with two pack. Waste of money re-chroming as chrome is not suitable for boats due to it's rapid corrosion.
    Yep, chrome will not last more than 40 years on bronze, better to bodge up a different coating tht will wear off much quicker?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast