Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Default Hampton Court Place Moorings BEWARE

On the 30th of April this year I was able to. Take my Boat out for the first time as I had spent most of last year in and out of hospital I decided to go to my old stamping ground of Hampton Court where I stop for a cup of tea and a sandwich ,there and back home in just over one hour perfect great to be back on the river and as I have great difficulty getting on and off my boat at the moment no need to go wondering off into the sunset .
    Then imagine my shock and horror went today the 18th May in the post I received £100 fine reduced to £60 if I pay within 14 days , surely they had to be a mistake ! So today I went back To see what on earth was going on ! There was the familia Blue P for Mooring sign no change there then ! so I decided to see if any changes had been put into place while I was away then to my horror some 120 yards away from where I was Moored there was a sign stating the boat must be registered on arrival even for a short stay , The sign looked brand-new to me and I had no idea this was the new norm does anybody know how long this new procedure has been in place also if you do you not have access to a mobile phone how can you inform The people regulating the moorings as to your arrival ? .

me somewhere there had to be a mistake

Default Re: Hampton Court Place Moorings BEWARE

Quote Originally Posted by normskib View Post
    On the 30th of April this year I was able to. Take my Boat out for the first time as I had spent most of last year in and out of hospital I decided to go to my old stamping ground of Hampton Court where I stop for a cup of tea and a sandwich ,there and back home in just over one hour perfect great to be back on the river and as I have great difficulty getting on and off my boat at the moment no need to go wondering off into the sunset .
    Then imagine my shock and horror went today the 18th May in the post I received £100 fine reduced to £60 if I pay within 14 days , surely they had to be a mistake ! So today I went back To see what on earth was going on ! There was the familia Blue P for Mooring sign no change there then ! so I decided to see if any changes had been put into place while I was away then to my horror some 120 yards away from where I was Moored there was a sign stating the boat must be registered on arrival even for a short stay , The sign looked brand-new to me and I had no idea this was the new norm does anybody know how long this new procedure has been in place also if you do you not have access to a mobile phone how can you inform The people regulating the moorings as to your arrival ? .

Hampton Court Palace have contracted out their moorings (whatever they are) to an unpopular car parking company called District Enforcement. and a website -

https://www.where2moor.co.uk/

Unlike car parks there is no regulation for mooring boats - so they can do what they like - unless you dig your heels in and call their bluff (unfair contract terms and the like).

Sadly this all came about as a result of 'continuous moorers' camping on the moorings in front of the Palace.

You're the first person to acknowledge they've been caught by the change of management.

me somewhere there had to be a mistake

All noted, especially those of us to whom the current fad of the rule of the mobile phone is a world of pain and mystery.
    One APP to rule them all.

Three Phones for WhatsApp under the sky,
    Seven for Facebook in their halls of stone,
    Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
    One for Advertisers on their dark thrones
    In the Land of the Internet where the Shadows lie.
    One Phone to rule them all, One Network to find them,
    One Phone to bring them all, and in the 5G bind them,
    Last edited by oldgit; 19-05-19 at 07:13.

So you moor up, albeit innocently not knowing about the rules and receive an invoice for mooring at your home address.

Given no-one displays their home address on their boat, only the boat name can determine the owners home address and only the EA maintains a database of owners.

As no criminal offence has occurred, I'm wondering under what section of the GDPR District Enforcement can request boat owner data.

More on that later.
    When I was in the Navy ...

Worth reading:

https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...privacy-notice

I'm not convinced that the EA can provide personal contact details without prior consent to third parties in a civil matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Crusty View Post
    Worth reading:

https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...privacy-notice

I'm not convinced that the EA can provide personal contact details without prior consent to third parties in a civil matter.
    As in this extract -
    "We will not make your personal information available for commercial use without your permission, unless we are required to do so by law."

However, in fairness (?) address details could also be available from the BSS team and for all I know from one's mooring provider??

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post

However, in fairness (?) address details could also be available from the BSS team and for all I know from one's mooring provider??
    BSS and any mooring provider would be in breach of the GDPR if either gave out your contact details without your consent.

There is no law compelling any public or private body to provide contact details without consent in this instance as no law has been broken, it's a civil case.

Personally, I'd write to DE refuting their claim and say that I'll see them in court then wait to see what they do.

The DVLA are also covered by GDPR but they are able to release information to private parking fine enforcement firms

https://assets.publishing.service.go...-registers.pdf
    Private car parking facilities provide a vital service in towns and cities throughout the land. Many shops, hotels, pubs and doctors’ surgeries are affected when motorists park their vehicle in breach of a car park terms and conditions. Properly controlled data release from the DVLA vehicle register helps these companies operate effectively for the benefit of all motorists

As ever there are muddy waters here. Until recently EA employed DE to enforce mooring charge avoidance reported by Thames Valley Moorings (trial now ended after extensions) - it would be lawful for them to release information to DE for avoidance of charges on EA moorings.

However Hampton Court Palace moorings are owned by Historic Royal Palaces - registered charity 1068852 and it would appear that DE are in breach of GDPR by using their access to EA information to support a claim for an HRP mooring fees. Naughty!

A good work round at Hampton Court and the lovely Hampton Wick moorings is to telephone them - always an answerphone - and ask them to call back so that you can 'agree' the mooring charge. They don't ring back!
    Last edited by Gibeltarik; 19-05-19 at 13:26.

As a point of interest, as laws have not been broken with this mooring charge notice, what right does the EA have to give access to my personal details to a 3rd party (DE) without my consent? And who else have the EA given my details - and those of other people - to? Surely, our personal information is protected by the Data Protection Act.

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast