Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Default Re: Hampton Court Place Moorings BEWARE

Out of Curiosity I decided to check the What could be easier where to 2 moor website for Hampton Court Palace Moorings where it states quite clearly moring cost 24 hours and £8 per 24hrs thereafter maximum stay five days , no mention whatsoever of pre-pay moo rings and even if it did why on earth would you attempt to pre-pay if you had no intention of staying for 24 hours ! It was I did you Moored your Boat didn’t go wandering up and down to check the totally inadequate signage you would have no way of knowing from you where 2 Moore website that it was necessary to announce your arrival . I would love to know just how many Boat owners have been caught out by this clear as mud information in my travels I have spoken to just four other Boat owners and I swear to God including myself two of the other Boaters that have used the Hampton Court moorings have been caught out and have either paid or as I am facing an exorbitant not fine but more in charge ! Three out of four I find that incredible DE Really have got a license to print money .

Other club members have stopped, registered and paid for the second 24 hours, yet still been sent two consecutive £100 demands.

I suspect DE just keep posting them out on the basis some people buckle and pay.

I would hit the EA who should not be giving out personal information. Look at your River licence application and the EA website and both state they will not give out your information to third parties, unless for a criminal act such as environmental pollution...

I've also had a response from Barbara Tyldesley, EA data protection officer, confirming that she is seeking advice regarding the circumstances when the EA may pass my contact details to a third party working on behalf of another third party.

If everyone affected writes to her, a head of steam will build and pile on the pressure. Despite that, a formal complaint to the ICO by all boaters affected will flag up this problem with the regulator.
    When I was in the Navy ...

I'm sure that Loddon was correct earlier in this thread that DE had access to EA ownership database at one stage but no longer have access to it.
    It would be interesting to know if anyone who no longer owns a boat has had any comms from DE. That would prove the theory!

In the end, what is the problem? The liveaboards/long stayers have created a situation which needs controlling. The poor person who pays their river licence, pays for a marina/boatyard to keep their boat, then goes out and finds all the visitor moorings full of scruffy liveaboards or retired boaters on 70' narrowboats who only move once a week will be fully supportive of the various schemes that are happening - it means there's somewhere to moor for the night. I have sympathy with the OP who didn't see the sign, but that is so similar to the parking restrictions in small town car parks & many supermarkets (& here in Henley the doctors surgery car park) that many have got used to, and similarly it's been caused by people who want to stay forever & not pay. I welcome such initiatives, it means I'll have a good chance of mooring above Sonning lock/Pangbourne/Beale Park when a few years ago I wouldn't. No problem if you moor for 24 hours and move on!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Crusty View Post
    Boarding boats even though the Master of a vessel holds sovereign authority on the boat and can arrest someone who boards and/or does not leave immediately on the Masterís order.
    That's quite a claim. Do you have a legal reference for it?
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    That's quite a claim. Do you have a legal reference for it?
    I was quoting from the K&A boating community website and the comment was made by the NBTA.

That said, your boat is your property and no-one may board without your consent. That explains why EA enforcement officers, patrol boat officers, technical officers and team leaders are required to hold a level 2 warrant under the Water Resources Act and the Environment Act that gives authority to access premises of all descriptions in order to execute their duties. Anyone boarding or checking your boat for a licence or sticking a notice on your boat must be warranted.

The level 2 warrant comes in two parts, a plastic ID card and a paper document, a bit like the old driving licence. If you are present when they wish to board, check they are carrying the paper part as well. Without that, the warrant is invalid so you can refuse access.

I don't know if the DE squad are warranted but it's worth checking as usually, you have to be an EA employee to get a level 2 warrant.

Quote Originally Posted by ianc1200 View Post
    In the end, what is the problem? The liveaboards/long stayers have created a situation which needs controlling. The poor person who pays their river licence, pays for a marina/boatyard to keep their boat, then goes out and finds all the visitor moorings full of scruffy liveaboards or retired boaters on 70' narrowboats who only move once a week will be fully supportive of the various schemes that are happening - it means there's somewhere to moor for the night. I have sympathy with the OP who didn't see the sign, but that is so similar to the parking restrictions in small town car parks & many supermarkets (& here in Henley the doctors surgery car park) that many have got used to, and similarly it's been caused by people who want to stay forever & not pay. I welcome such initiatives, it means I'll have a good chance of mooring above Sonning lock/Pangbourne/Beale Park when a few years ago I wouldn't. No problem if you moor for 24 hours and move on!
    I doubt anyone would argue your point about managing moorings but this is about the misuse of personal data by government bodies for the benefit of third parties and contrary to the GDPR and their own data policy.

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.

Quote Originally Posted by ianc1200 View Post
    Most people would not object to that, if the mooring charges are reasonable, clearly signed and advertised and easy to pay.

In the case of the OP he did not see the sign so did not pay. If DE had just sent him a "please pay your £8 mooring fee" letter, I am willing to bet he would just have paid it.

Instead it was a £100 fine for not paying the fee. It's that heavy handed and deliberately extorting money tactics that people are objecting to.

Quote Originally Posted by ProDave View Post
    Most people would not object to that, if the mooring charges are reasonable, clearly signed and advertised and easy to pay.

In the case of the OP he did not see the sign so did not pay. If DE had just sent him a "please pay your £8 mooring fee" letter, I am willing to bet he would just have paid it.

Instead it was a £100 fine for not paying the fee. It's that heavy handed and deliberately extorting money tactics that people are objecting to.
    I thought he was fined for not reporting his time of arrival? an £8 fee is only due if your stay for more than 24hrs.
    This was how TVM operated, thankfully now gone.

The data protection is another separate issue, but for me the whole registering your arrival thing at free 24hr mooring sites if you have no intention of staying more than a few hours is ruining the river forever

The OP committed no crime, he only stayed a few hours and left, no fee was due. He has been extorted out of £100 by the greed of a private company misusing data.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast