Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Default Re: Hampton Court Place Moorings BEWARE

Don't roll over and pay. Let them go to court, and then take a photo of your own boat, and watch the case get thrown out of court on the basis of the evidence you both have

They won't take this to court, this is a shambolic cowboy outfit more used to screwing Motorists. They are out of their depth here with River regulations allowing you to stop for mitigating circumstances.

Here's some legal guidance from Watchdog:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IU_OGmQHqQo
    When I was in the Navy ...

That advice looks like its from 2011 . The law has changed and if there is a sign then the owner of the vehicle has a contract with who ever put the sign up . The owner could have been on the other side of the world at the time but still has a contract . Thats how it works with car parking and i cant imagine any other sign for any other thing would be any different now the blood suckers have found a way to get the law to work for them .
    Ive had this for the past year with a free car park wanting to fine me . I made sure it went to court because i was told it would cost them more money than what they could get but that £60 fine ended up costing me £225 . I think i wasted more than £225 worth of their time though .
    Blame it on the boogie .

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Coochie View Post
    That advice looks like its from 2011 . The law has changed and if there is a sign then the owner of the vehicle has a contract with who ever put the sign up . The owner could have been on the other side of the world at the time but still has a contract . Thats how it works with car parking and i cant imagine any other sign for any other thing would be any different now the blood suckers have found a way to get the law to work for them .
    Correct but there is a heavy emphasis on the sign being 'unmissable' In a car park that normally means something you have to drive past on the way in or you can see (indeed can't miss) from where you park. Sounds like in this case this test fails as the OP joining the mooring someway down/upstream of the notice had no visibility of it so could not be agreeing to it's terms and indeed those terms had changed materially and recently since his previous mooring there and historic practice placing an extra responsibility on the operator to bring this to the attention of any user of the facility.

If the OP want's to crowd fund fighting this all the way on behalf of all of us I'll happily chuck a tenner in and I'd hope between the rest of us here we could underwrite any exposure to this turning into £225.

From the Needles to the Nab, from Cowes to St Catherine's

The law changed to allow keeper liability (rather than the it being the driver alone entering into the contract) provided the notices complied with certain requirements. With a boat there is no such thing.

Even now a parking company can be put to proof that they have authority from the land owner to operate and commence proceedings.

There are several forums dedicated to defending again private car park charges, it might be worthwhile posting on them.
    Substance over style

Here's the advice from Martin Lewis's Money Saving Expert website:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/re...rking-tickets/
    When I was in the Navy ...

Quote Originally Posted by Old Crusty View Post
    Here's the advice from Martin Lewis's Money Saving Expert website:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/re...rking-tickets/
    Good advice. I hope I never have to use it.
    The Zen Master said "we'll see"

This registering to moor thing is now at Kingston ( Hampton court side ) I didnt check the kingston side but wish i had now . I just stopped there to wash the hull and checked the sign , free for 24hours but if you stop you have to register or get a £100 fine . The only way to register is via the website . Thank god for smart phones !
    Blame it on the boogie .

Did you see - or more importantly WERE there any signs visible if not you have a good case should anything further happen.
    Whe you state the "Kingston side" - exactly where? Some near the bridge are managed by the council.
    Those which supposededly managed by "the parking mob" belong to HCP, but it's not clear where the mooring extend to...

I'm all for fair parking and so forth but it should be done on a reasonable basis - looking at their website it's an unholy mess.

I notice that at Reading the sighns have been replaced and extended, but the website sayt mooring length "60" - what? - boats, metres, feet. Either deceitful or incompetance??

No idea really , i've been mooring at the kingston side to have lunch , go shopping for years and its always been free mooring . Why would i check if the signs have been changed ? On the other side , never been there so i checked if it was ok . I noticed loads of boats turning up to have a picnic but they didnt invite me so sod them .
    Blame it on the boogie .

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678