Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying Abroad

Default Re: Buying Abroad

Spain , France and Italy ( + others ?) registration system requires taxes like VAT to be accounted for .
    This is an important difference to UK style part 1 or 3 .

Basically in the EU with country's that have compulsory reg a private owner has all ready ( and the host state ) dealt with the vat .
    Obviously charter Co s may be different. So make sure you boy from a pvt individual .

EU Brokers find Brit buyers problematic with VAT as they bring to the EU Brit issues that basically don't exist with there compulsory boat ref system.

Bought 1 in France and 2 in Spain. I find it is easier to negotiate I think this is because the mooring cost is higher. That said do your homework on all the costs involved and look at comparable boats locally to see if it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by rlw View Post
    Bought 1 in France and 2 in Spain. I find it is easier to negotiate I think this is because the mooring cost is higher. That said do your homework on all the costs involved and look at comparable boats locally to see if it makes sense.
    Will do thankyou

If you buy in the USA you will need to get the boat certified to RCD II. Unless the boat is almost new, this will almost certainly mean putting new engines into the boat. On top of shipping costs and VAT it will almost always be uneconomical.
    My boat is for sale - ask me if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by westernman View Post
    If you buy in the USA you will need to get the boat certified to RCD II. Unless the boat is almost new, this will almost certainly mean putting new engines into the boat. On top of shipping costs and VAT it will almost always be uneconomical.
    Thanks Westernman. Im not going to purchase anything, or start seriously looking until February.I have a lot to learn yet, I dont want to be vunerable, through lack of knowledge, at the minute its all a minefield, but hopefully it will all start to sink in soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12